I'm building the entire Starship Enterprise interior at 1:25 scale

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mike Nevitt, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Awhile back someone figured out the internal volume of the TOS E and they found there is lots of room inside particularly for only 430 crew. And while 947ft. length mighn’t be all that big by wet navy standards it is massive when you consider the height and width and the fact it flies freely off the ground.

somebuddyX, Tallguy and Mike Nevitt like this.
  2. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

the USS Iowa m a wwii battleship, is a museum in San Pedro. They have a hot dog stand on the stern where you can grab a dog and a beer and sit in the Adirondack chairs and watch the port traffic. It’s also right next to the cruise ships…who tower over the battleship! That amazed me! A battleship dwarfed by the Disney princess line!

publiusr and fireproof78 like this.
  3. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't screw with The Mouse!

4. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to this list, there are only eleven naval vessels ever built by any navy that surpass 947 feet in length. And they are all carriers, except for one crazy huge converted ocean liner from WW1.

How big would a ship 250 years in the future need to be to support a five year mission carrying 430 people? I mean, really? I think we all know that if starships are ever actually built, they’ll have engines the size of walnuts, be the size of a smart car, and have a crew of zero, with uploaded minds occupying the gigascape computer. Just sayin’.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_naval_ships

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  5. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

I don't remember the FJ plans on that. What did FJ do?

6. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. Phaser Two

Thanks. Yay - that's always been my opinion (reached independent of the FJ plans - and thanks for the link so I can bookmark it), so I'm glad to see it validated.

8. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is part of the point I was trying to make above. In James P. Hogan's "Giants" series, the alien Ganymeans have gravitational engineering, which means a lot more than sticking to the floor in spaceships. Their planetary cities have "Enterprise-like" shapes that should not be able to stand up, yet are more robust than much smaller structures over-built out of steel, like the Empire State Building. (A plane crashed into the ESB in the '40s, and that building is still here. The Trade Towers, while admittedly taking a much heftier wallop, were also built to much closer tolerances.)

You can find lots of handwavium on-line about how the Federation warp drives work like Alcubierre drives, or some other "stasis field" fantasy. That basically means that the ship itself and everyone in it never experience any acceleration forces. But is some of the ship's structure "virtual"? That is, is an unpowered ship fragile, while a powered ship is embedded in advanced technology amber? Mr. Flint? Bueller? How big can your dinosaur get before its bones and muscles cannot support it? Heck, the Doomsday Machine was made out of fantasy material "neutronium." What is Star Wars's Death Star made from?

publiusr likes this.
  9. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd say that the TOS Enterprise's materials are so far ahead that the entire structure is magic. That's the beauty of the design, IMHO. We've seen her out of power (but not life support) in "The Immunity Syndrome" and get thrown out by a massive explosion but since there was life support we don't know what else might've been operating in the background...

publiusr and Metryq like this.
  10. Phaser Two

The inertial dampeners do a lot of work and luckily never seem to become inoperative. However, I'm not sure they were ever mentioned until the TNG/DS9/VOY triad of series.

Why does the (original) Enterprise have to be able to stand? Isn't what it does closer to floating? Now, Voyager (which is apparently roughly the same size in many respects) does have to be able to stand, as it can land.

publiusr, Richard S. Ta and Metryq like this.
  11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hardened tears of younglings.

And hopes. And dreams. And power.

Richard S. Ta and Metryq like this.
  12. blssdwlf

The TOS Enterprise doesn't have to stand. She just needs to be able to survive (unpowered) the overpressure and rapid acceleration from being thrown out of a giant Earth-sized amoeba exploding. However the ship has lost power so many times in fast decaying orbits that she probably frequently experiences 10-30% of Earth's gravity at her typical orbital altitude.

You are correct in that inertial dampeners and structural integrity fields were never mentioned in TOS.

13. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Nowhere in TOS/TAS/MOVIES was SIF or inertial dampers mentioned or referred to?

14. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Inertial dampers were never mentioned on screen, but they were at least part of fan lore back in the day. SIF's were a TNG thing. (Like Warp Core and Coils.)

Ronald Held and blssdwlf like this.
  15. blssdwlf

That's correct. Never mentioned in dialogue or in a visual in TOS/TAS/TOS Movies...

Ronald Held likes this.
  16. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Scotty I'm sure mentions "dampers" at some point in TOS; I will have to rack my brain to remember where, lol.

17. blssdwlf

The only time Scotty orders "dampers" was for slowing down the ship in "The Changeling".
    NOMAD: The energy release controls are also most inefficient. I shall effect repair.
    ENGINEER: Warp eight, Mister Scott, and increasing.
    SCOTT: Throw your dampers.
    ENGINEER: Warp nine.
    SCOTT: Cut your circuits, all of them.
    ENGINEER: Warp ten, Mister Scott.
    SCOTT: Impossible. It can't go that fast.
    ENGINEER: It just won't stop, Mister Scott. Warp eleven!​

18. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

This looks like a cool project and lots of fun!

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  19. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's it, thank you. That was sure easier than racking my brain!! lol

blssdwlf likes this.
  20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

He’s got a new video.

publiusr and Ronald Held like this.