I'm building the entire Starship Enterprise interior at 1:25 scale

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mike Nevitt, Mar 5, 2023.

1. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can you recheck that @Warped9? When I look at the Galileo shuttle as seen on screen the nacelles barely extend beyond the main hull. Is it the landing strut on your model that extends a couple of feet out?

EDIT: I looked again and it doesn't seem that the aft landing strut adds to the length of the Galileo shuttle. If you subtract the nacelles and aft landing strut you would not get a substantial reduction in length and your shuttle should already have been close to 24 or 25 feet, IMHO.

@BK613 - perhaps you are thinking of Phil Broad's 28' shuttle?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    BK613 likes this.
  2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Galileo interior not only had a ceiling height well above Spock's six feet, it also had a machinery layer under the floor that Scotty could reach down into. And its length included an impressive aft compartment.

Do we know the actual length of the studio mockup? Jefferies might have said somewhere it was 3/4 scale, which would give us his idea of the full-sized exterior.

feek61 likes this.
  3. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Or the interior is 4/3 scale...:shrug:

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then I guess it doesn't matter...:shrug::rolleyes:

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

When I can I’ll pull up my 3D model, where I corrected a small flaw in my original drawings, and I can give exact measurements. My model is of an actual vehicle and not a studio prop.

BK613 and blssdwlf like this.
  6. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I did measure it when we worked on it, I will dig the measurements up but I think it was 24' feet

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

This article says the Galileo mockup is 23 feet (7 meters) in length. According to the size comparison below, it's a bit smaller -- just under 21 feet.
    [​IMG]

BK613 and ZapBrannigan like this.
  8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I worked up this drawing many years ago when I was working out an integrated “real” shuttlecraft.

Here is where I posted it originally May 10th, 2006. https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/my-tos-shuttlecraft.31724/page-6

Here is a little something else to look at.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    blssdwlf and Jedman67 like this.
  9. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

10. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course it does. Because, even after 50+ years of doing it, figuring that stuff out is part of the hobby, part of the fun. At least to some of us.

PCz911, blssdwlf and CorporalCaptain like this.
  11. BK613

@blssdwlf I'm guessing that I conflated Broad's 28' with that drawing from @Warped9 because I have seen both before.

12. fireproof78

Then please don't roll your eyes at my statement, just because I take a different tack.

13. BK613

Hmm. Your responses didn't read as taking 'a different tack.' They read as you being deliberately obtuse as I tried to clarify what I had originally said. If that's not the case...then maybe we both need to work on our communication skills.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I perused through that old thread of mine when I was working this out. Man, that was a lot of work, but also a lot of satisfying fun. I recall doing all that on my old white 17in. Apple eMac computer using Illustrator and Photoshop.

Good times.

PCz911, BK613 and aridas sofia like this.
  15. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

What was Gary Kerr's final decision on the size for the Polar Lights shuttle model? 29 feet?

16. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think if you are going to fit anything like the interior into it, which I think was always their plan, it has to be at least 29’.

And if you want it that big, then you really have to resize the ship, because it ain’t gonna fit. And certainly in no way that looks anything like what was seen in the original FX.

The whole resizing the ship thing really begins with that nutty, mal-sized shuttle.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    Forbin likes this.
  17. BK613

Yeah, that was a fun little rabbit hole to dive down this morning. :techman:
    Slightly before my first post here and some of the folks that were posting...

18. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I looked through some more files I collected over the years and David Winfrey's and Allen Everhart, Jr's blueprints both have their Galileo shuttles at 29'. In both cases their nacelles added about 0.3' to the overall length and the aft landing strut none. I suspect that is because in some shots the aft landing strut doesn't extend as far out as the miniature has it. Also, the strut doesn't always appear when in flight...

@Warped9 - you probably could safely ignore the aft landing strut altogether as it seems to be an adjustable/retractable gear, IMHO.

BK613 likes this.
  19. fireproof78

Probably so because it was not meant obtuse.

But, whatever. I'm sure you know better than I. :beer:

BK613 likes this.
  20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Okay, so I rechecked my 3D model.

When I drew up my initial schematics my design measured out at 8.0549 metres L.O.A. or 26.426837 ft. (26'-5 1/8"). The 3D model forced me to revise the size (due to a small error I had in my drawings) so the present measurement is 8.299679 metres L.O.A. or 27.22992 ft. (27'-2 3/4").

So my shuttlecraft went up 9 5/8" in length. And that allows for a 5'-9" interior ceiling. The length of the interior cabin (nose to aft cabin wall) is 19.276678 ft. (or 19'-3 5/16").

Removing the nacelles and aft landing strut subtracts about 2.5 ft. from the overall length, so you have a main hull under 25 ft. (about 24’-8”).

Close enough?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023