If they had any bells...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TheWelshPirate, Feb 14, 2014.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Re: If they had any balls...

It still counts as exploration, though. Whether by necessity or simply for the sake of doing so, it's still investigating something unknown.
    As far as Star Trek XII is concerned. But TOS-style explorin' was never limited to just "strange new worlds and seekin' out thems new lifes," etc. Heck, Kirk and the gang were still learning a lot about Vulcans in "Amok Time."

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most reboots (Superman, Batman, Bond etc.) are the former rather than the latter, which was BSG in name only.

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Back to the thread topic, it's Hollywood's job to leave their balls at home. Every move they make is calculated. Any risk that they take is minimal and they generally use what works.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Trek producers have left their balls at home for ages.

Look at TWOK, TSFS, TVH and TUC. We had movies in which they killed off Spock, gave Kirk a son, destroyed the Enterprise, killed Kirk's son, made the entire crew renegades in a Bird of Prey about to be court martialed.

Abramstrek is so amazingly disappointing. They rebooted saying they now have a clean fresh slate and can do whatever they want. And what happens? Movie 1 ends with the entire crew happy on the bridge, warping off. Movie 2 ends with the entire crew happy on the bridge, warping off. Shall I tell you how movie 3 is going to end?

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Since we've supposedly got a more militarized Federation in this series I would like to see them get cloaking devices before the 25th century this time around.

Pretty please?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  6. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

So.......the opening scene of STID WASN'T the only time we saw exploration in a ST movie?

Make up your mind!

And you're forgetting a wonderful film called ST:TMP.

Sheesh

7. Tulin

Ding ding ding!

We have a winner!

So was "The Doomsday Machine" any less valid a TOS episode because the crew didn't go to a planet and meet some natives with white body paint on? I see a parallel between that episode and TMP(besides which the Decker connection!).

Neither TDM or TMP is more or less valid an "exploration" than the prologue of STID.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

(emphasis mine)

I think you may have missed what he was saying. Better give it another try.

9. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I get what Tulin is saying. In one sentence, The Wormhole says ".. The opening scene of STID is the first and only time we've seen the crew of any Enterprise doing any exploring in a Star Trek movie" and the following sentence names a ship containing an Enterprise crewmen (Chekov).

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Oh, don't worry - I get it, too.

Exactly. It's called a straw man argument: Tulin rebutted a point which Wormhole was not, in fact, making, then used that as an excuse for launching the "Make up your mind!" shot.

Straw man, pivot to personal dig - same old tired shit.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

V'Ger was threat response and the Enterprise went to Sha Ka Ree after it was hijacked. Therefore, neither are exploration.

You mean an ex-Enterprise officer, since sometime before TWOK Chekov was transferred of Enterprise and assigned to Reliant, making him in those scenes a Reliant officer. My point stands the Enterprise (whether original 1701 or the A) did no exploring in the TOS movies. And the Enterprise D and E likewise didn't in the TNG.

12. Tulin

Actually, YOU'RE seeing something that wasn't there and being rather personal about it too. I simply misread,is all.

Doesn't negate my later point about TMP being ALMOST ALL ABOUT exploration.

But again thanks for PURPOSELY ascribing something to me(rather than when I did it by accident)that wasn't there.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course it's exploration.

If you'd said that "doing any exploring" wasn't how you meant to put it, because instead you meant that they never went on a mission just for the purpose of exploring, you might find people going, "Oh, OK, yeah, I see what you mean."

But as it is, disqualifying refutations of what you said, because it's not what you meant, it doesn't count for much. I won't speak for anyone else, but I know I'm not a mind reader!

14. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Wasn't the Enterprise E at the beginning of First Contact assigned to a routine survey mission along the Neutral Zone? We saw the Enterprise doing scientific missions from time to time, but even Picard thinks those kind of missions are dull. I don't think anyone would want to see a movie comprised entirely of exploration

15. TheWelshPirate

TheWelshPirate Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Of course it would be boring if they made an entire movie of them collecting alien plants and cataloguing space farts. I don't think anyone is arguing that.

But take Alien for example: that movie is about a crew that investigates an uncharted world and accidentally picks up a killer alien. Why not do something like that? Maybe instead of remaking Wrath of Khan yet again, they should've remade "Where No Man Has Gone Before" or even something like "The Cage", where the Enterprise is out exploring and come across some sort of conflict for the plot.

I'm just tired of these regurgitated "vengeful villain with superweapon wants to destroy Earth" plots we've been getting. It feels more like uninspired superhero movies than anything resembling Star Trek. Their costumes are even made entirely out of their own logo like Brandon Routh's costume in Superman Returns.

Then again, maybe this is just further evidence that Star Trek is better suited for television than for movies.

16. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

You are right about that, too. Not every movie needs to be Wrath of Khan, redux.

They could look to another episode of Star Trek for inspiration. Like The Devil In The Dark (seemingly hostile alien menacing a planet turns out to only be looking out for its young) or Shore Leave (beam down to a planet, and find unusual, or unexpected things going on there). They should be creative, and look to the original series itself for inspiration, not just rehash Wrath of Khan yet again

17. TheWelshPirate

TheWelshPirate Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Exactly. Back to my original idea, if they had flown in to Nero's space-time sphincter in the first movie then perhaps in the second movie they would emerge in the Mirror Universe. Have a movie of Enterprise vs Evilprise, so to speak.

Maybe the wormhole sends them to the Mirror Universe in the future. That way we could get a Shatner cameo as older Mirror Kirk. You can't tell me that Pine vs Shatner wouldn't draw legions in to the theaters.

Come to think of it, that premise would actually make the title Star Trek into Darkness somewhat applicable to the plot. On multiple levels, even.

18. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Does Picard's exploration of Anij's body count?

:)

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I don't think so.

Someone has probably gone there before.

20. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think sending an alternate universe Trek into another alternate universe would certainly have opened up a different tranche of storytelling. Whether it would have been better or worse would be up to the storytelling.

At least Chapel would have stayed on board...