IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sure Scotty met a happy medium on Argelius II sometime...

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The opposite. The comics are a licensed tie-in, and have to follow the onscreen example.

3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But they do have the luxury of spending some time developing the supporting characters in the comics. At least, I hope they will. At present, of the third tier characters only Keenser and Cupcake have had any development; other characters have done little more than deliver a line or two. But there are encouraging signs that Sulu, Chekov, Uhura, Carol, and Scotty will be developed a bit. I don't expect to see Kirk and Carol get together in the comic unless officially sanctioned for the next movie though.

4. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I have to say, I'm not overly fond of the way all the Klingons in the comic now apparently have the same forehead ridges as that one in STID, even down to the piercings. Why can't they have more variety?

5. Therin of Andor

Since we haven't seen this type of Klingon before, this is variety. The story is attempting to ride the publicity trail of STiD. Why wouldn't they use the designs from that movie for this particular storyline?

The nature of a "media tie-in".

In all of Trek, like-marked Klingons do seem to congregate. Kor's people all had his skin tones in TOS. All the Klingons in TMP had the spinal column crest look. In ST V, they all had fine, twisty crests. In TNG they were often played by African American actors. And so on.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually the ones in "Friday's Child" and "The Trouble With Tribbles" did not. Fred Phillips apparently forgot how he'd done the makeup in "Errand of Mercy" (though he later remembered).

Differences in alien design are differences in artistic interpretation. No surprise that tie-ins to a specific part of the franchise would use its version of the designs.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of DC comics' post-STII comics, which brought back Kor but with the TMP Klingon head and costume.

I should point out that we saw somewhat different Abramsverse Klingons (TOS uniforms and wrinkly ridges) in the Nero mini series.

8. Christopher

Koloth first in issues 1-2, then Kor in 3-4, with both of their appearances changed. And they killed off Koloth, apparently, though he later came back without explanation, and in his original appearance.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, I wasn't 100% sure if it was Kor or Koloth. Now I know why!

10. Therin of Andor

I wasn't able to finish my post. As usual, when this topic comes up, I was supposed to add Koloth's people all had his skin tones, and Kang's people all had his skin tones.

But I was running late for me train.

According to Fred Phillips' Kor's makeup had green greasepaint in the mix, and Kang's had a reddish/brown tone.

11. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I actually enjoy the comic series quite a bit. I'm a few issues behind though (might just wait for the next trade paperback at this point).

12. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

for the ones that wanted more female characters it seems your wish was granted since the ongoing comic of January 2014 will feature female.. Kirk and Spock :lol:

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-idws-star-trek-comic-books-for-january

13. Christopher

Either this is an expansion on their "every parallel timeline exists" theory from their Mirror Universe storyline, or they're adapting Marshak & Culbreath's "The Procrustean Petard." ;) Or maybe it's based on that Carol Burnett sketch...

And shouldn't the female equivalent of "Tiberius" be "Vipsania" or "Julia?"

14. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My first thought seeing that was : Please don't let them begin to adapt Marshak & Culbreath stories. :ack:

But then again, wasn't there some shit in TPP that Vulcans weren't reversed but made ultra-strong?

15. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

it could definitely be an adaptation of that

at first look the cover with the two enterprise seem to suggest that the female versions are from another reality but that light in the middle could also mean that the characters from this reality are temporarily genderswapped :lol:

16. Christopher

I don't know about "Vulcans" in general, but Spock was given a second Y chromosome and became extra-masculine and aggressive as a result.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jane Kirk seems to be drawn to resemble Jolene Blalock...

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

So they're taking a break from adapting TOS episodes and are now taking on Red Dwarf episodes?

19. Cara007

Cara007 Lieutenant

Does this mean Uhura and Carol will be men?:confused:

20. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope it's a straight swap and not just a couple of characters recast as women. That will underscore just how great the standard imbalance really is.

Fingers crossed for a curry monster.