I don't understand the hate Disco gets / still gets.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Gingerbread Demon, Apr 28, 2022.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't say Michael had direct conflict with Detmer, the two of them just bumped into each other in the mess hall and had an awkward moment. By the time the Harry Mudd Groundhog Day Time Loop episode rolled around (just four episodes later), we see Detmer smile and nod her head at Michael as she walks by, so it's obvious those two were back on friendly terms already.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  2. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

The transparant/blatant review bombing aimed at DSCO and PIC is obscuring all the legitimate reviews, creative feedback, and constructive criticism, although at the same time DSCO being a much different show now and SNW being a TNG revamp in TOS' skin may have had far more to do with all the creative rumblings in the writer's room when DSCO's S2 was first streamed...

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    DSC stuck the landing this year a lot better than PIC did. And I mean a lot better. DSC was simply the better series this year and it was the series' best season thus far. Species 10-C was one of the best things to happen to the show.

4. TedShatner10

PIC had a much better S1 mind you, swings and roundabouts, though its 2nd season felt like the producers blatently shaking up things for its 3rd, final season.

Danja likes this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it comes down to stability. Discovery had known the first two seasons, as well as getting the stuffing kicked out of it. It could do no right, as Lord Garth aptly notes, because it was the only target. Now that there are several Trek shows the producers feel less on the defensive and far more free to explore what they want to rather than tip toeing around.

I am highly doubtful there will ever be something Discovery Season 1 or Picard Season 1 again. The review bombing and out and out hatred expressed leaves deeper wounds than perhaps will be admitted, save for in the safe way the shows are produced.

Lord Garth, TedShatner10 and Danja like this.
  6. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

It had so much potential. Mirror Lorca could have been an actual reformist actually seeking to bring Federation ideals to his Empire.... or at least it could have been the dangling question. He did bad things..... with good intentions. The Emperess should have played on her connection to Michael. It should have been a big tug of war between the two of them, the big gamble. The Emperess that looks like her mother figure, or the guy that she thought was her Captain, who has been lying the whole time, but with good intentions. They could have showed that a "dark human" and a "light Terran" were really not so different at all. I hope Prime Lorca is the exact same way we saw Mirror Lorca.

The end of the Mirror Arc should have been Lorca being installed as the new leader of the Empire, promising reforms, but the last shot of him is revealing a secret panel, and using the Tantalus Device to remove an opponent.

David cgc and TedShatner10 like this.
  7. fireproof78

I'm sure some fan somewhere will write this up.

TedShatner10 likes this.
  8. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I don't have any obsessive files, books, lists, or memorized knowledge, but this is *absolutely* the reason for me - I fell in love with TOS in the 80s, grew up immersed in it, and my return to the fandom after at least 10-15 years away was because of TOS fan films. I truly wish / think they could have respected the "time period" aesthetics a lot better. I loved Axanar, until the antics of its production team shat away all the good will they had earned. A series of historical shorts done in that style, sticking to canon looks and styles, could have been groundbreaking.

Re: DSC, the design of the Klingon ships, the weird blue uniforms, etc, threw me off from the very beginning. (The uniforms are fine as an interim between ENT and TOS, but the show should have been set 30-50 years prior for this to work.)

9. fireproof78

And would have only been sold to a small group of fans.

10. TedShatner10

I definitely think the overly negative enraged fanboi response to DSCO's troubled first season was a painful inspiration for DSCO as it exists now and the very inception of SNW in DSCO's second season.

I'm not sure about PIC (I think it was fallout from Chabon's creative imput and issues).

While Lorca got wasted as a Terran charicature, the Terran Empire stuff in DSCO generally stood the test of time better than the attempted Klingon revamp...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  11. Dee1891

Dee1891 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't regard "DISCOVERY"'s first season as "troubled". It's the only season of this series that I had truly enjoyed. I would have enjoyed Season Two, if it were not for the prolonged appearances of Pike and Spike. Talk about overrated characters.

12. fireproof78

It's troubled from a BTS perspective.

And Spock overrated? :guffaw:

Pike has always been my favorite but I knew that was an unusual opinion. But, Spock? That's a new one.:eek:

13. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not overrated. Just overdone. Done. To. Death.

DSC S1, brand new protagonist, AND SHE’S SPOCK’S SISTER!
    S2: SPOCK’s HERE! And more TOS legacy characters. And his ship.
    SNW: ongoing soap opera about SPOCK and his girlfriend.

Though I love Ethan Peck as Spock.

TedShatner10 and Danja like this.
  14. fireproof78

To each their own.

Spock is better than almost all other Trek characters combined, with the few exceptions. More of him is never a problem for me.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Having the Time of My Life Moderator

Which member of BTS troubles you, in particular? Jungkook? Jimin? RM? Suga? It's Suga, isn't it? He's the bad boy.;)

TedShatner10, Ianburns252 and Danja like this.
  16. cooleddie74

At least he's not a BTA man.

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Having the Time of My Life Moderator

That's a deep cut, Zammis.

18. cooleddie74

19. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Commodore Commodore

If you read into the amount of drama, rewrites, direction changes, personnel changes etc. that happened behind the scenes, then 'troubled' is an understatement. Whether or not you liked it is immaterial in view of the fact that the production process was far from smooth. It's amazing how well it all turned out in retrospect.

I enjoy Season 1 of DSC, but it was troubled in terms of what happened off-screen.

Danja and TedShatner10 like this.
  20. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Not everyone is going to agree that production shakeups fit the definition of 'trouble'.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022