How well-known would each crew be to the public?

Pike's birthday is a holiday.

According to Boimler... i'm not sure he's the most reliable source, or at the very least, it's likely most don't celebrate the holiday the way that someone like Boimler would...

For example, Nov 29th is Nellie Taylor Ross' Birthday celebration in Wyoming. It's a holiday. I have no idea who that is.

In all reality... looking at what we actually know, is Pike actually all that noteworthy? Yeah he's Captain of the Enterprise, for quite a long time. But what do we know that he's actually done of note that would garner him adoration of the general public? Sure, someone like Boimler, who is obsessed with the minutia of Starfleet would be all about it but in the grand scheme? Did Pike actually do much of anything of relevance?

I think there's alot of people who would be Starfleet famous. Someone like Scotty I feel like might be somewhat known just due to being on the Enterprise, but I doubt the general population knows much more than the name. Starfleet people revere Scotty as a miracle worker. The average Federation citizen? Maybe a good modern day comparison would be a like a Steve Wozniak? People know the name. Some people are very familiar with him. Most people probably only know a few vague details. For shits, I just asked a co-worker if they knew who Steve Wozniak was. I got the reply, "He did something for Apple, right?"

Last edited:
According to Boimler... i'm not sure he's the most reliable source, or at the very least, it's likely most don't celebrate the holiday the way that someone like Boimler would...

For example, Nov 29th is Nellie Taylor Ross' Birthday celebration in Wyoming. It's a holiday. I have no idea who that is.

In all reality... looking at what we actually know, is Pike actually all that noteworthy? Yeah he's Captain of the Enterprise, for quite a long time. But what do we know that he's actually done of note that would garner him adoration of the general public? Sure, someone like Boimler, who is obsessed with the minutia of Starfleet would be all about it but in the grand scheme? Did Pike actually do much of anything of relevance?

I think there's alot of people who would be Starfleet famous. Someone like Scotty I feel like might be somewhat known just due to being on the Enterprise, but I doubt the general population knows much more than the name. Starfleet people revere Scotty as a miracle worker. The average Federation citizen? Maybe a good modern day comparison would be a like a Steve Wozniak? People know the name. Some people are very familiar with him. Most people probably only know a few vague details. For shits, I just asked a co-worker if they knew who Steve Wozniak was. I got the reply, "He did something for Apple, right?"
Boimler says it's a holiday and even in Pike's own lifetime he's called one the best Captains. So with the evidence presented, he's a big deal.

I was reading this thread to my hubby, who points out that maybe, instead of comparing the likely fame of our Starfleet captains to that of contemporary military commanders, we should consider them in comparison to famous commanders of exploratory ships. Centuries later, we still know who Columbus, Magellan, and Henry Hudson were. So why would future students not know who Pike, Kirk, or Picard (for example) are?

For me, I would like to point out that we learned on Voyager that McCoy wrote the definitive text on alien anatomy, basically the Grey's Anatomy of the Starfleet era. So he might not be generally famous, but he's quite well-known in his field.

Boimler says it's a holiday and even in Pike's own lifetime he's called one the best Captains. So with the evidence presented, he's a big deal.
To Starfleet yes, to the public why should he be? The Pike birthday as a holiday was just a silly idea by the LD writers. It makes no in universe sense,
I was reading this thread to my hubby, who points out that maybe, instead of comparing the likely fame of our Starfleet captains to that of contemporary military commanders, we should consider them in comparison to famous commanders of exploratory ships. Centuries later, we still know who Columbus, Magellan, and Henry Hudson were. So why would future students not know who Pike, Kirk, or Picard (for example) are?

For me, I would like to point out that we learned on Voyager that McCoy wrote the definitive text on alien anatomy, basically the Grey's Anatomy of the Starfleet era. So he might not be generally famous, but he's quite well-known in his field.
I've only heard of Columbus in my school days. Maybe Pike, Kirk and Picard are famous on Earth or in 24th century USA and French schools. The rest of the UFP maybe not so much unless FNN interviewed them. Would Pike's accident be public news? Kirk never heard about it, so why should the civilian public?

To Starfleet yes, to the public why should he be? The Pike birthday as a holiday was just a silly idea by the LD writers. It makes no in universe sense,
We've no idea how big a deal Pike is to the public at large. We rarely see them. The data we have indicates his birthday is a holiday, he's one of the finest Captains of the 23rd Century and they named a city after him on Cestus III. So based on that he could very well be a "big deal" and that makes sense.

We've no idea how big a deal Pike is to the public at large. We rarely see them. The data we have indicates his birthday is a holiday, he's one of the finest Captains of the 23rd Century and they named a city after him on Cestus III. So based on that he could very well be a "big deal" and that makes sense.
Based on what is on the screen so far, the Pike character is a good leader but nothing exceptional for him to be a household name. But, there's always SNW season 3.

Starfleet named a medal of bravery after him, so he must be pretty noteworthy. After all, none of the other televised Captains have medals named after them.
None of the other captains permanently crippled themselves saving the lives of other people.

Do any of the other Captains have anything named after them? Off the top of my head, Archer and Janeway have ships named after them, but it doesn't seem Kirk, Picard or Sisko are namesakes of anything.

None of the other captains permanently crippled themselves saving the lives of other people.

Yeah see THAT is what I can see Pike being known for, and the medal named after him makes sense.

Do any of the other Captains have anything named after them? Off the top of my head, Archer and Janeway have ships named after them, but it doesn't seem Kirk, Picard or Sisko are namesakes of anything.

Kirk is the real outlier oddball. You would THINK that Kirk would have things named after him, but... no.

I'm sure Picard by like the 32nd century does, or at least did. We just didn't see it.

Sisko is by and large less of a big deal to anyone other than Bajor. Yeah he did some big stuff during the Dominion War, but even then he was still subordinate to other commanders. I'm sure there are things named after him on Bajor.

Kirk is the real outlier oddball. You would THINK that Kirk would have things named after him, but... no.
Though I respect the man, and no matter how many times he saves the Galaxy/Federation/Earth, Kirk was court-martialed, reduced in rank and froze out of any future promotions. Many alive at the time may think him a hero and paraded about, but officially, they couldn't name anything after him because of the court-martial stain.

Reactions: kkt
Though I respect the man, and no matter how many times he saves the Galaxy/Federation/Earth, Kirk was court-martialed, reduced in rank and froze out of any future promotions. Many alive at the time may think him a hero and paraded about, but officially, they couldn't name anything after him because of the court-martial stain.

Maybe, although it seems like that would matter less and less as time went on, especially given that his court martial and demotion were essentially a reward.

Eh? Which ones are secret? (Other than DISCO) His and Kirk's exploits are about at the same level of public knowledge.
Which of Pike's exploits are public knowledge? Did he save earth from a whale probe? Or a Nomad style machine? Or save a political leader at a peace conference? Or steal a starship? Would saving the cadets be public knowledge?

Which of Pike's exploits are public knowledge? Did he save earth from a whale probe? Or a Nomad style machine? Or save a political leader at a peace conference? Or steal a starship? Would saving the cadets be public knowledge?

Weirdly enough... from we actually get to SEE, Pike's greatest exploits might be fighting the... Gorn? Which is something that Kirk is explicitly known for?

Back