How to fix the holographic displays in Picard

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Romulan_spy, Jul 15, 2020.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It does feel that way yes.
    To me the holographic interfaces feel like a logical extention of technology preexisting in the world of Star Trek. We have seen 3d projections of information before, and this is just the next step in that technology evolution.

Now, is it for everyone? Um, no. I recall being ecstatic for smart boards and projected keyboards. My college computer science teacher loathed them with every fiber of his being. He couldn't imagine using them at all. He dubbed them "impractical." Yet, the tech remained and has different applications.

The thing about Star Trek is that I fully expect such displays to be customizable. So, if this is preferred by these characters who operated with this technology then why not? Rios clearly has no issue with piloting his ship that way.

"But it looks stupid!" So do the TOS keyboards. Or LCARS with that incessant scrolling text. Very little labeling and a lot of expectation that those assigned to that ship will know how to use it. That's a pretty steep learning curve if you ask me. And looks kind of stupid.

RAMA and Llywela like this.
  2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-up_display

3. The Old Mixer

As it doesn’t seem to have derailed the thread, I’m going to give a pass to this huge, overindulgent dump of hot-button issues that belong in Misc or TNZ.

Dukhat likes this.
  4. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  5. The Old Mixer

You were complaining about the display features, not just about the controls.
    Don't get personal. If you can't argue a point in a civil, respectful tone, get out of this forum.

Sci likes this.
  6. Pubert

We have been talking about systems that actually control the vehicle. HUD displays are totally different

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Back in the 70's or 80's, Michael McMaster made a blueprint set for the TOS bridge, with the function of every single button. To say it's an impractical operating system is an understatement:lol:

Props to him for trying though.

fireproof78 likes this.
  8. darrenjl

darrenjl Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I blame Minority Report!

Honestly though I don't mind the holographic screens, it's a natural extension of what we have today. However, it's having them at front on to the user that annoys me; who is going to work like that for 9 hours a day in reality? It's why we have desks.

9. Llywela

Llywela Commander Red Shirt

We saw no evidence whatsoever of the holo controls being in continual use for nine hours at a stretch. They were activated when needed and de-activated when not in use.

fireproof78 likes this.
  10. Pubert

I guess Picard felt it necessary to use them the whole battle. He looked constipated the entire time.

11. Llywela

Llywela Commander Red Shirt

a) The battle did not last for nine hours. It was over in minutes.
    b) Picard was supposed to look awkward using those controls, because he has been out of service for years and is not familiar with the interface.

DEWLine and antinoos like this.
  12. darrenjl

darrenjl Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Still, the idea that one sits in a chair with ones arms up unsupported in the air is not a positive UX, even for a few minutes. It's not the hologram I have the problem with, it's the experience of using them that doesn't chime with me in terms of actual human behaviour. It would be more user-friendly to have the hologram angled, like the touch screen LCARS system, with some kind of arm support for the elbows or palms to rest on, like a laptop keyboard.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Hypothetically, advanced tech from the near future or especially in the late 24th century, should not require lots of aggressive inputs (though it looks good in movies and TV) due to AI and automation and should not need you to spend hours with your arms in the air.

RAMA

fireproof78 and Llywela like this.
  14. fireproof78

It's just Rios' own preference.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You try flying a spacecraft that you have no familiarity with and let’s see the expression on your face.

Llywela and fireproof78 like this.
  16. Pubert

Exactly. But I guess the producers think waving your hands around looks cooler. Ever since the iron man movies the holo air touch screen special effect has truly become overdone and boring. Trek tech always had a certain charm to it but now it looks like everything else in movies and tv. Boring.

Jadeb likes this.
  17. fireproof78

Good, glad its boring. I hope tech becomes more boring just like Star Trek :D

Turtletrekker likes this.
  18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

And yet, somehow, I bet it won’t stop you from watching season 2.

Turtletrekker and fireproof78 like this.
  19. fireproof78

I mean, who wouldn't want to miss out on something boring! Certainly not I!

20. The Old Mixer

In a world with force fields, gravity control, and tactile holograms, do we know that their arms are unsupported?

fireproof78 likes this.