Spoilers How much of a ____ ____ are we looking at between Episodes 1 and 2?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by TheMadCloner, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

It's not going back to the 23rd Century. This new setting is permanent. Unless they jump even further ahead. So the season is 13 episodes, but I think the overall time spent here could be much more.

Strange New Worlds is now the place to go to if someone wants a new series to cover their 23rd Century fix.

Rhodan and fireproof78 like this.
  2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Afro-textured hair is not the same as white people's hair - you'd be surprised at the volume you can get from what appears to be short hair.

Leaving that aside - from a real world point of view, I'm not sure a lot of white viewers will get the significance of a lead character having box braids.

Noah_23, Nyotarules and Nerys Myk like this.
  3. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Her hairstyle in the pilot was much better than what she had since then, but the long braids are the best. Never liked the 'poodle' look that she had between the pilot and now XD

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Especially if there's truth to the rumours of a 32nd century spin-off already in the works.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes a lot of people seem unable or unwilling to accept that Discovery is not set in the future but the present of the Star Trek Universe...

6. The Wormhole

Which means Picard is now a prequel.

7. TheMadCloner

TheMadCloner Captain Captain

If his “dreams” were an accurate reflection of his desires, I’m sure he would’ve liked to use a stimulator on her.

8. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

I suppose so. Or we could just let go of an idea that there is a "present" in Star Trek universe. We can have series and stories set anywhere in the timeline without needing to worry about which one is a prequel or which is a sequel.

ToyBoxComix, Ometiklan and Markonian like this.
  9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Some physicists believe time is a human construct and everything happens simultaneously. There is no past or future, just now.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/738387/Time-NOT-real-EVERYTHING-happens-same-time-einstein

10. Rhodan

Rhodan Commander Red Shirt

Of course... But still, there will be almost a year between this season and continuation. We will be waiting like Michael, but unfortunately, we will not have a space station.

11. The Wormhole

Huh? Isn't there always a year (at least) between one season and the next? Not seeing how this is an issue at all.

12. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's not volume, it's length, given we saw her hair all the way down to her bellybutton in braids, unbraided it would have been like three or four feet long.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

There's also a thing called extensions. An old girlfriend used to wear braided extensions. After awhile they'd fall out and I'd find one or two around the apartment. :lol:

14. Rhodan

Rhodan Commander Red Shirt

All I´m saying is: Please start exploring the new setting as possible...

15. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Squirming about the place still alive

16. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to presume hair technology has progressed past simple extensions in the 32nd century.

That said, I recall seeing some scene (possibly from the third episode) where we see a montage of Michael with her hair slowly getting longer as a year of time passes. This seems to suggest we are to believe she naturally grew this out.

17. TimeIsAPredator

Let's not read too much into it. It's just a way to show time pass on TV. Pity though cause I'm big on short hairstyles on women and thought she looked great in ep1.

A well we get short haired Adira and ginger Detmer so I can't complain too much

18. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

People are really pinning the 'realistic passage of time' on an African-American character's hair length?

Talk about a lack of both knowledge and sensitivity.

19. TimeIsAPredator

Why are you assuming none of the people on here have experience with a black persons hair?

Deledrius and Lord Garth like this.
  20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

When I first grew out my hair, back when I was in high school, I didn't cut it for almost a year. From March 1995 to February 1996 to be exact. At the end of that process, I put my hair into a ponytail and went snip. So I was just comparing my experience with not cutting hair for a year to Burnham's. There's nothing more to it than that.

EDIT: Anyway, I'm not a black woman, but a friend of mine who is cut off all her year one summer. All of it. Practically shaved. She didn't cut it at all after that, and a year later it was only what I guess you could call shoulder-length but might've been longer given the way it curls. But even if it were straightened, it wouldn't reach her waist.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020