Poll How many seasons do you think Discovery will get?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lord Garth, Nov 3, 2019.

?

How many seasons will Discovery have?

1. 3

19 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. 4

21 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. 5

34 vote(s)
    34.3%
  4. 6

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. 7

16 vote(s)
    16.2%
  6. More than 7

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. DS9ers

DS9ers Lieutenant Red Shirt

We pretty much know we are getting 3 seasons of Picard. So, I cant see them ending Picard (S3) and Discovery(S5) during the same year. Because of that I am saying 6 seasons.

Lord Garth likes this.
  2. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oops. my bad.

The fact remains that, minus some really tedious Klingon scenes, episodes 3-5 were essentially the "tardigrade arc." If they had established the tardigrade as a character, there would be no real need for those episodes, which is why a jaunt to the MU could have happened early in the season. Which would have left more time in the back end to fix the mess of the Klingon War.

3. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I suspect I would have been much more interested in a humanoid tardigrade-ish crew member than what we got. By the time they crossbred Stamets with the giant magic space tardigrade and stuck him in the spore chamber, the whole thing was too silly for me to take seriously.

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

[​IMG]
    Who knows how long it will last with this new streaming model and the potential for over-saturation with all the other Trek shows coming out? It's kind of a new situation, at least with the streaming part.

Ralphis, Gonzo and Masiral like this.
  5. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hard to say, but, I definitely think we're long past the days where a Trek series would end up with 170+ episodes.

Alan Roi and Nenya like this.
  6. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I think its being to be decided season by season, from the story lines we have had so far I dont see any overall plan to the show which would require a set number of seasons.

As with other shows the timing of a possible cancellation will be heavily influenced by contracts lengths for each of the main cast, how interested they are in continuing versus other projects they have in mind and how much of a pay rise CBS will give them, as we know contract costs increase with every negotiation round.

It will also heavily depend on how the other planned Star Trek shows perform.

So for now I say 3 seasons until I see them announce a 4th.

Jadeb and eschaton like this.
  7. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it will go for 5-7. CBS would no doubt have some type of long term strategy for All access and it would seem odd for them to cancel their flagship show only 3 seasons in. Picard will no doubt be more limited due to the nature of its story and also Patrick Stewarts age. Also I think the section 31 series will probably be a mini-series leaving Discovery and a possible pike series to be the main staples.

777 likes this.
  8. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

i'd be perfectly fine with 4 or 5, any longer we risk the show overstaying its welcome. even TNG could've used one less season and that's a high watermark in TV across the board.

9. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I'm not going to make any bold predictions because I'm usually wrong on that stuff as I am only but an interweb doofus, but I always remember from awhile back from a CBS All Access executive of not wanting to over-saturate the market with Trek, and that some of the shows they have in development might actually be replacements to what's currently out there, and not additions. https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/18/cb...get-timing-right-for-star-treks-tv-expansion/ So, if that's still the case, I almost feel like Section 31 or anything Pike (or whatever else they have in the oven) might be intended to replace Disco. So... I know I said no bold predictions, and I'm too lazy to go back and delete those comments, but I'm thinking maybe 4 or 5 seasons.

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll guess as long as it's popular to the point it can be ascertained it's still drawing new subscribers in and helping maintain the retention of existing subscribers, and for money spent maintains a good ROI WRT the above, CBSAA will order more seasons.

How they determine that given their kind of steaming service model is anyone's guess. :)

11. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted 5 seasons but that is just a guess.

CBS probably likes the idea of making it the longest running Trek series, so 7+ seasons is possible. But there is nothing special about 7 seasons. TNG/DS9/VOY went 7 seasons because they wanted to build up the number of episodes to make a nice strip syndication package. But strip syndication market is not as good these days (as it is dominated by comedy shows) and even after 7 seasons Discovery will not be close to 170+ episodes of those other shows.

It seems like they are creating a pipeline of Trek shows (Lower Decks is next, followed by Section 31). So ending Discovery will depend on how confident they are in the show that will replace it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Bad Thoughts likes this.
  12. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    But with streaming is there really a need to "replace" it.
    Wouldn't it be in addition to it?
    Perhaps with Kurtzman in charge, They have already moved on from the Classic TV model of broadcasting with Their new Star Trek franchise?

13. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I voted more than 7.

With the new time period for season 3 the show is basically retooling and starting over, the spore drive allows them to travel everywhere including to other universes and they could time travel again. Discovery has more potential to reinvent itself than any other show so it's less likely to get stale, there's no limit to where the show can go (except back to the 23rd century I guess).

It's also doing less episodes per season and it is very serialized which means less individual story ideas get used, so it will probably be longer until they reach the "We're officially out of ideas" point.

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

However they may try to get an episode count between 80-100 so they can still sell a large enough syndication package years down the road. (I doubt either cable or broadcast TV will truly and completely be replaced by streaming 100% - and you always want to have as many revenue avenues available as long as production pays for itself - which it seems ST: D has been doing to date.)

Lord Garth and Cyrus like this.
  15. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very good point. I was talking to someone at work today, actually, about the duration of the episodes and why they didn't run longer because of the platform they were on. I opined that it was probably because at some point down the line, CBS may just throw a few on the network to air during summer repeats or just to fill in a time slot somewhere -- and perhaps, to your point, being aired on a cable network elsewhere after the show ends production for good. Short of having ads on All Access, I figured that's why the show is still structured like it's being broadcast on a network.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but, I don't think we see a lot of former HBO shows in syndication anywhere, do we? I do recall The Larry Sanders Show and Curb Your Enthusiasm coming on some local stations late on Saturday evenings, but, those shows don't have breaks for commercials, so, I have to assume they were heavily-edited to account for that.

16. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    I voted 7 then changed it to 5, but am leaning towards 6. I think it will be at least 5, but that will put the show at about 7 years in existence with the pace they are producing seasons. When it does go, something will have to replace it as the flagship, long-running show. Where do they go from Disco? Is it a direct spinoff in that time period? Could they do a future Enterprise or is that only feasible if they don't do a Pike series? Heck will CBSAA still be a thing that far in the real future?

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  17. Visitor1982

Visitor1982 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At least 5 seasons, but I voted for 6.

Star Trek - Enterprise was a failure with just 4 seasons. I'm sure CBS wants their flagship show to run for at least 5 seasons.

18. Ketwolski

Ketwolski Lieutenant Red Shirt

My gut says S3 will be the last, but I hope for 5 seasons personally. Enough time to get in some good stroytelling 1000 years post TOS!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Bad Thoughts likes this.
  19. DarthTimon

DarthTimon Commander Red Shirt

Five seems to be the magic number a lot of the time, though if it's successful there's no reason it couldn't rumble on for a bit longer.

20. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is "my guy" a typo? Did you mean "my gut" or do you have some inside info?

Cyrus and Ketwolski like this.