How is/isn't Discovery Star Trek?

^ oh, now I get it. This IS part of previous discussion. You’re not actually talking to me. Because at no time on that shag carpet diatribe did you mention paying Weyland-Yutani for TELEVISION SERVICE.

Y’all have a good day now. Remember to send in your clean air, noise pollution, and get to look at a duck at the park bills.
Arpy, settle down, and don't post three times in a row.

I think I get why paying for Star Trek isn't 'real' Star Trek.

Apparently, there was a special happy time when all the nice TV people used to make TV shows not expecting anything in return.

#nomonies
TyOmbFx.jpg

oh wait..

pledge drive week

And with the two-tiered pricing for CBSAA, we have a price point that is indicative not only of how much ad revenue benefits the programming suppler but also of how much it costs consumers to view ads.

If viewing ads incurred no cost to the consumer, there would be no demand for ad-free programming and no incentive whatsoever to subscribe at the second tier.

Exactly it depends on where and/or when you grew up.

There are people who have never seen Star Trek for 'Free'

Especially in the UK because of the whole TV licence thing.
The BBC T.V licence, still cheaper than B.T the Virgin in the SKY without diamonds having a talktalk (geddit?)

Paying does change the audience though. It doesn't matter if free to air has advertising, most people with a TV can access it and it is a done deal as far as broadcast costs. Paying *extra* leaves some people out of the loop.

We get that. That's not really in question, is it? It's a universal economic truth that, if you keep raising prices, fewer people will buy something.
It's not paying extra though. It's paying up front rather than on the back. The costs have shifted in order for the content to be produced.

I agree with your overall premise that raising the price will make the market smaller. Which is where the market is going to more niche.

So, I guess the question is is how to cut costs? Make making shows cheaper?

It's not paying extra though. It's paying up front rather than on the back. The costs have shifted in order for the content to be produced.

I agree with your overall premise that raising the price will make the market smaller. Which is where the market is going to more niche.

So, I guess the question is is how to cut costs? Make making shows cheaper?
In this case, the case of DISCO, I would speculate that limited niche appeal is an important factor in the marketing strategy to begin with, though to be clear not the only one.

I think I get why paying for Star Trek isn't 'real' Star Trek.

Apparently, there was a special happy time when all the nice TV people used to make TV shows not expecting anything in return.

#nomonies

You still haven't answered who exactly you paid for TELEVISION SERVICE. Or were you one of the 4% of people for whom television antennas did not work also?

The nice TV people made TV shows so they could sell air time to advertisers, who greedily bought it up to tell you their wares. #promonies

I really think a lot of people just can't abide the idea that things could be better than they are now. Too painful. Must be dirty hippie propaganda.

Back