How is/isn't Discovery Star Trek?

Is this part of a CBS All Access discussion that had been going on before?

Those for it arguing that the experience of watching TV always cost some time and money in laces vs those against saying that’s nonsense because the money it cost wasn’t the issue, but the ADDITIONAL money being added now behind a NEW paywall is? I just don’t see how this discussion has continued this long.

In the 80’s you could buy a shitty TV if you were working class and watch it for free. No television provider. I don’t buy the argument that TVs cost so much money that it made them something beyond the reach of as many people as it’s being argued here. And the nuisance of commercials (which nobody likes) proves that TV costs money, just like CBS All Access. No.

Further the shitty TV from the 80’s could last a couple decades, like three of ours did; forget the 5-year lifespan of a fancy one mentioned upthread, if that’s accurate. Hell, we still have a working Frigidaire brand refrigerator in the basement that we bought 45 years ago.
You're the one who challenged the assertion that TV was never free. The fact that televisions were more affordable in the 1980s than in earlier decades is a straw man. Television history predates the 1980s, shocking as that may seem.

By the way, who mentioned a 5-year lifespan of fancy TVs? Not me.

You're the one who challenged the assertion that TV was never free. The fact that televisions were more affordable in the 1980s than in earlier decades is a straw man. Television history predates the 1980s, shocking as that may seem.

By the way, who mentioned a 5-year lifespan of fancy TVs? Not me.
Not at all a straw man. The point is that they've been affordable for some time, even for the poor and working class. What's not affordable anymore is the content, so we're fractioning.
Yet again, the same argument: the TV's were never free, and that's not the assertion I'm making. I'm making the assertion that its content was. ViA networks, locals stations, public broadcasting stations, and syndication, the bulk of popular content was very free for a very long time, including all Star Trek from TOS-ENT.

Jonathon Frakes needs to guest star on it to keep his record on appearing on all the next gen shows.

Slightly off topic: if we’re all getting our “facts” and cultural touchstones from different sources, talking past each other without meaning to, are we a society any more? Are we able to communicate with each other in meaningful, efficient ways?
Is there a willingness to accept and embrace another point of view? Because that's the impasse I'm seeing is the insistence that one's experience is defining for all. As I stated, my experience was thus: My parents, and friends and the like, could not afford a trip to Greece as you stated. That was never an option. TV was never free as presented in my experience and within my awareness, i.e. the major networks required something in order to access them where I lived. I certainly did not have free access to Star Trek, and had to hunt actively for channels that carried it. And those channels were not free broadcast that I could find.

I'm glad your experience was different, and I'll note that experiences often are. But, the idea that TV was "always free" and that people didn't have to "pay for Star Trek" is a broad brush stroke that doesn't bear out in my experience.

Having decided NOT to sit through another "Plop Plop Fizz Fizz" commercial, with the only option being to get up, skin peeling from vinyl couch, walk barefoot across avacado shag carpet to turn the dial, turn the rotor control so the outside antenna would rotate to the other station available in that suburb, stand there catching a few minutes of some other mid day rerun or game show only to rotate it all back in time to avoid the commercial but realize you missed it by a few seconds and are in the middle of a scene of your favorite star trek rerun episode, and oh Lord you rotated the antenna rotor too far and the screen turns from a plastic pancake landing on Spock's back to snow static as the antenna rotor noise on the roof keeps grinding out a rhythm of loss and failure.

I don't know if I'd call those days free.

^ oh, now I get it. This IS part of previous discussion. You’re not actually talking to me. Because at no time on that shag carpet diatribe did you mention paying Weyland-Yutani for TELEVISION SERVICE.

Y’all have a good day now. Remember to send in your clean air, noise pollution, and get to look at a duck at the park bills.

Is there a willingness to accept and embrace another point of view? Because that's the impasse I'm seeing is the insistence that one's experience is defining for all. As I stated, my experience was thus: My parents, and friends and the like, could not afford a trip to Greece as you stated. That was never an option. TV was never free as presented in my experience and within my awareness, i.e. the major networks required something in order to access them where I lived. I certainly did not have free access to Star Trek, and had to hunt actively for channels that carried it. And those channels were not free broadcast that I could find.

I'm glad your experience was different, and I'll note that experiences often are. But, the idea that TV was "always free" and that people didn't have to "pay for Star Trek" is a broad brush stroke that doesn't bear out in my experience.
Where did you grow up?

Who and how much did you pay for television service?

What do you mean having to go searching for Trek? Was only available on cable television in your area?

Do not focus on my getting to go to Greece as a kid. The point is that for many working class people, that was more doable than it is now. If that wasn’t your experience, okay. Why do you not wish it to be now? For anyone?

No it wasn't.

Yes it was.

I win.

...I mean, back your statement up with something. Please?

I watched TOS I think on NBC, TNG and DS9 on Fox, VOY on UPN, and ENT on I think maybe CW? None of those were cable or premium channels.

^ oh, now I get it. This IS part of previous discussion. You’re not actually talking to me. Because at no time on that shag carpet diatribe did you mention paying Weyland-Yutani for TELEVISION SERVICE.

Y’all have a good day now. Remember to send in your clean air, noise pollution, and get to look at a duck at the park bills.
Diatribe? It was more of an anecdote. I certainly did not mean it as a diatribe. It reminds me of this one time..

Where did you grow up?

Who and how much did you pay for television service?

What do you mean having to go searching for Trek? Was only available on cable television in your area?

Do not focus on my getting to go to Greece as a kid. The point is that for many working class people, that was more doable than it is now. If that wasn’t your experience, okay. Why do you not wish it to be now? For anyone?
Idaho.

30 to 50$ a month. No broadcast channels available, even with rabbit ears. Yes, I tried. UPN was not broadcast and was part of cable.

The point is-that's not everyone's experience. It wasn't doable then, any more than it is now for my family. In fact, I think it would be more doable now for my parents than when I was younger.

I don't wish anything. I know the market has changed and businesses will adjust who bears the costs as they feel necessary. As stated by others the cost was always there, just paid at different times. CBS has decided to continue to be competitive in the market and adjusted their costs to suit their business needs. Since advertising is no longer absorbing that cost with adds, that cost goes from time spent by the consumer to money. It still cost is the bottom line. Yes, I consider commercials a cost because it costs time.

I bought every series on Blu-ray so none of Star Trek is canon anymore. Sorry, everyone.
Ruiner.

Back