How characters could have been handled better?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by valkyrie013, Sep 15, 2020.

1. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why I like Enterprise, so much potential that was wasted. Kinda like voyager concept that was executed poorly.
    Great stuff here!

2. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I instantly pictured Jason Isaacs doctor from Event Horizon when you said that which would have been much better than this silly one note character we got

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

That would have been an amazing piece of casting!

Also, you've got me wanting to go an watch Event Horizon again, not watched it in ages!

4. TimeIsAPredator

liberate tutemet

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  5. Bry_Sinclair

...ex inferis...

6. TimeIsAPredator

Man he's so good. I'm really disappointed with how his Discovery character ended up

He plays a gun toting lunatic in death of Stalin too but in a very different way

7. Bry_Sinclair

Not even the likes of Jason Isaac can make me stomach any more than I did.

8. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Commander Red Shirt

I love all your ideas, but Reed especially. That change in accent alone would have changed his character entirely, from a snobbish overseer to a commoner who clearly worked his way up to this position, and shouldn't be underestimated.

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  9. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Commander Red Shirt

I love all of your ideas. Phlox would work much better just as a human; that actor doesn't seem right for a really out-there alien.

The non- white female captain from the Mars colony is PERFECT. And having the security cheif be gay and have a "lower class" English accent would be a great buck against stereotypes, while also just a much more fun character. He and Trip could relate on having backgrounds stereotyped as lower class.

As an Andorian fan I also love the Andorian officer.

Aside from better diversity, my other lament of "Enterprise" was how none of the human characters besides Mayday felt like they belonged in a sci-fi. You got on top of that with your off-world born captain.

I would add:
    • Hunter McCain lived through the Eugenics Wars, WWIII, or both. He provides, via stories he shares with his shipmates and flashback scenes, development on these historical events.
    • Another character has a disability that is not yet curable as it will be by TNG, but is more manageable than it was in the 20th Century--perhsps with a small cyborg implant (a la Anastasia Targus from "Star Trek: Borg"). Through this character we see how medicine stands in the 22nd Century. Or maybe they just have a prosthetic limb.
    • An Augment, who was born/made before the ban on Augmented humans. He or she deals with the prejudice and distrust of being associated with Khan.

10. Bry_Sinclair

This would still be set from 2151, so McCain would need to be well over a century old to have gone through the Eugenics or Third World War. I would think a time travel story or two could shed light on them, but in an ideal world I'd drop anything relating to the TCW and just focus on a group of explorers making humanity a driving force for change in the quadrant.

A disabled character would be interesting to see, though just what that would be is hard to really judge, as they would still have to meet certain requirements for military service. Cybernetic enhancements/implants sounds far too advanced for mid-22nd century. An artificial limb would always be an option but it would really do much for the character, DS9 already dealt with the trauma and recovery of losing a leg (I doubt the ENT writers could've managed it as brilliantly), whilst if it was something they'd had for a while then it's basically Picard's heart--a part of him but barely comes up nor does it really impact the character in any meaningful way.

Augmented humans has again already been touched on in DS9. I definitely would veto a story like they made in S4 (some things, like smooth-headed Klingons, should remain a mystery) but perhaps something along the lines of a human settlement where genetic engineering had become the norm (after it was banned on Earth) might be an interesting way to explore the topic, throw in Starfleet worries about the a legion on Khanite superhuman soldiers, mysterious attacks on Earth assets in nearby sectors and the prospect of a human civil war, it might have some good scope.

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  11. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What about being a veteran (junior officer at the time) of the Kzinti wars?
    How about Reed has a incredibly thick cockney accent?

To the point that sub-titles routinely appear at the bottom of the screen whenever he speaks.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  12. Bry_Sinclair

I would definitely have the Kzinti as their recurring big bad (until the Romulans reared their heads), abandon the Klingons for one series.

Or whatever accent Dick Van Dyck was trying to do in Mary Poppins :lol:

DarKush likes this.
  13. JaxsBrokenHeart

JaxsBrokenHeart Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

While some of the audience may have found it iffy, I always though it would have been interesting to have an alien as the Captain for both the Enterprise and significant character. It would have been an interesting contrast given the 4 human captains from the prior series and would have been fitting for a crew that would eventually help lay the groundwork for the Federation.

There could have been some interesting exploration from a largely Terran crew working under a non-human; they wouldn't be bigoted or resentful but it would be a process of both the CO and those under them having to gradually understand each other over time. Maybe there would be one senior crewman (like the navigator or communications officer) that's had a friendship with them prior to the ship's launch and would provide the initial insight into their character, with the Captain initially being a more guarded and ambiguous character initially.

Moreover I think there would have been real potential if this was not in fact the Earth flagship (at least not at first). That status belonging to Enterprise's sister vessel means there's so many places to go with that. Perhaps that ship is the one far more emblematic of Starfleet's focus and support with Enterprise's launch having been pushed forward by the parties that will one day become the UFP. Beyond the obvious point that both ships could come into (non-violent) conflict given their separate but occasionally intersecting missions. Maybe Enterprise itself has to make due with lesser resources because its initially not considered as critical as the other.

Also if there was a Vulcan presence on board like T'Pol, I think there's value in challenging viewer expectations them. She could be a brilliant science officer or engineer... who from the very beginning also struggles with emotional suppression far more than most Vulcans (and making her question if her assignment on Enterprise is because of her status). Thus while there's an uncharacteristic low key warmth and/or charm to her early on given her origins, there's also an emotional volatility present that she and on occasion the crew would have to deal with. Build a long term character arc out of that with her ironically becoming better at emotional control while surrounded by non-Vulcans.

Finally it would be have been fascinating if we saw more of the senior officers leading and dealing the individual teams below them. Take the concept of Lower Decks and use that to flesh out the secondary characters and allow the show to contrast the types of leadership the main characters have.