How can these episodes (from TNG, DS9, and ENT) be canon any longer?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Rock, May 31, 2019.

1. 1001001

1001001 Pull Up a Groove and Get Fabulous! Moderator

I’m not saying this thread has beaten the topic into the ground or anything...

But I think you should know that every time you post in this thread, a kitten dies.

:(

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

That's not why Disco keeps changing showrunners. Bryan Fuller was fired because he was basically dicking around and not doing any work, which resulted in the show's premiere date being postponed twice. And while dicking around and not getting any work done, he somehow nearly bankrupted the show's rather impressively sized budget. And since leaving Disco, he's been fired from two other shows for similar reasons. Harbert and Berg were fired because they were physically abusive to the other writers on staff.
    1) Ron Moore currently has his own show he's working on.
    2) At this stage in his career, I doubt very much he'd even want to return to Star Trek, even as showrunner.
    Most fans don't. I'm critical of Disco and don't think a good majority of the decisions made are necessarily the right ones. But that's irrelevant. The fact is there are enough people who are willingly handing over money to subscribe to All Access, Netflix or get the Space channel through their cable provider in order to watch Disco, and it is successful for all three sources to prove to TPTB they're doing something right. If Disco were any kind of a failure, people would not be voluntarily watching it.
    One thing CBS is getting right with their planned Star Trek spin-offs is having each one be something different, a different facet of the franchise. Disco is more or less "traditional Star Trek," Picard is basically character oriented drama, Section 31 espionage and spy intrigue, Lower Decks a comedy, and the other animated show something for kids. Regardless of what one may think of these ideas, I believe there is merit to doing something different for each show. When you get down to it, the period of 1966-2005 is basically the same premise: adventures of a starship. Variations of the theme include the starship 100 years in the future or 100 years in the past, the ship that is stranded in a distant region of the galaxy, and the one that is in fact a space station instead. As much as I like Anson Mount, that's basically my issue with Pike series a majority of fandom are clamoring for: it's just going to be more of the same and doesn't have anything new to bring to the table.
    Meh, let me know when the thread starts posing a threat to turtles.

Ovation and Sakonna like this.
  3. gazomg

gazomg Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

never said it was...I said it does not trump the others. The opening post suggest it might

I agree, I liked discovery, but when you make a show like discovery half a century after tos which it is preceding timewise, there will always be these issues.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

You're right, of course.

5. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just commenting because I felt like killing a kitten. :devil:

Ovation and The Wormhole like this.
  6. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's okay, the kittens are from TNG, DS9 and ENT and thus no longer canon.:p

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Because Disco retconned them into more modern looking kittens. Which I guess means they now have smart phones and tablets or something.

King Daniel Beyond likes this.
  8. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As long as they are replicated kittens

9. BillJ

BillJ History’s Greatest Monster Premium Member

Replicated kittens taste like chicken.

Plus...

The Wormhole and Prax like this.
  10. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    I would say the canonicity of these episodes shouldn't be dismissed simply because more modern trek hasn't kept up with the aesthetic they were trying to emulate/copy.

11. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Captain Captain

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't feel the need to question canoncity because of aesthetics.

JonnyQuest037 and Greg Cox like this.