House of Cards (Netflix)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob The Skutter, Jan 28, 2013.

1. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, it's been all over my disc envelopes for at least a month.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Doesn't really help people who don't get the discs. I'm just saying, if you're going to be targeting this at the streaming audience, it might be a good idea to make it better known to them.

Or maybe that's the point. They don't care about the current streaming audience; they're trying to get more people to subscribe.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Bingo.

I have seen huge banners on tvline.com and deadline.com, so it's not like the ads aren't around.

4. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I just watched the first episode tonight. It's a blast.

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Maybe down to the fact they only do streaming in the UK but I've had a lot of advertising for it. Email from them, facebook posts, banner on the website, trailer listed on the Xbox app very clearly for a week or so then in my recently watched list since then.

Though I've noticed that they reckon my rating for it will be nearly a full 5 stars. Maybe they're going hard with advertising to people they predict will enjoy it then have them spread word of mouth?

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I just got an email from Netflix today about the show, but I did notice yesterday that there was an ad on the side of my Facebook page running all day long.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah that's my hunch, they're going to judge it by number of new subscriptions, fair enough. And I do get disks too, but I never notice what they're advertising. As for email, I loathe getting any kind of ads that way so I never give out my real email address.

They definitely are going after the Hollywood influencers. Deadline.com was awash in ads over the last couple days.

But they shouldn't need to depend on such indirect methods of reaching their existing customers when they could just add the show to everyone's "recommended" list or create a new special promotional area that is reserved only for their own original shows. That should be virtually zero cost to them, so why not do it as a matter of course?

Maybe they're afraid of the reaction of movie/TV producers whose stuff wouldn't get equal promotion. Keeping good relations with content producers is absolutely vital to their business.

I watched the first episode, it was pretty good. I can't say the premise grabs me - why should I care that some DC dickwad didn't get the job he wanted? But Kevin Spacey is so good, he's worth watching on his own. I also appreciate he didn't make the mistake of channeling Foghorn Leghorn with his South Carolina accent.

But I stopped with the first episode. It's not really a binge viewing type show. Something like 24 or Prison Break, a fast-paced thriller, would be more the binge viewing thing. Also some genre series, especially horror,

I don't think they're cheating with their star ratings, they only predicted four stars for me (I'd say that's about right.) To start lying with the star ratings would be a big mistake, undermining their credibility and angering partners whose shows and movies aren't getting "star inflation."

8. Temis the Vorta

I've been trying to ferret out any inkling of how the show did last nite. Nothing so far, but here's an interesting article:

Psst, Netflix: test a space opera series next. :D

Why Netflix is keeping its numbers to itself (at least for now):

I'm sure that at some point, if the numbers are good, Netflix will crow about it. But part of what they're learning is, what does good mean in this context? There will be a life cycle to a show like HoC, but whether it peaks in one week, one month or one year, nobody knows. And the type of show may have a big influence on that life cycle, so maybe they'll wait till they also have an original comedy and an original horror series to compare with.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I almost wonder if it would be worth it for Netflix to offer the pilots of these shows free to people who aren't subscribed to their streaming service. If they have access to the first episode, they can watch it and see if it's worth signing up to see the rest.

10. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Apparently Netflix is doing exactly that throughout February.

11. Temis the Vorta

Yeah, that first episode free ad was all over the place the last few days. I want them to do that with Star Trek or any space opera series, I think it would be a wild success assuming the series is any good.

HoC is doing great on social media.

On the internet? isn't that against the law???

If this experiment is as successful as it sounds, everyone is going to start copying it, to the extent they can. What I've read about Amazon's original content just isn't up to the same level. They need prestige productions to cut through the clutter.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

My girlfriend and I have watched the first five episodes since yesterday. It's fantastic. Netflix is smart, too -- they have the original British series available, too. Might get to that next.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I added the British miniseries to my queue a couple months back with the intention of watching it shortly before the release of this series, but never actually got around to it. Now that I've watched six episodes already, I'm definitely going to give the original a chance when I'm done with this season.

For what it's worth, Harvey, this version's creator endorses your thought. ;)

14. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am watching it right now, and am in episode 3. I like being able to go straight to the next episode, it makes it feel more like a coherent story, even a movie.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Watched the first two last night.
    Enjoyed it. Can't wait to see the next... oh, I don't have to wait? I heart you Netflix.

16. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Finished it about an hour ago. I have to say I'm left somewhat dissatisfied. It was good but it was 3 times longer than the original mini-series and felt like so much was added it lost something. Felt like it got distracted from telling the main story for the sake of being 13 episodes. Saying that I would watch season 2.

17. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I dunno, it feels like there's a clear arc being established for the 26 episodes. It's hard to tell without the other half of the series of course, but I don't really feel that any of the 13 episodes were unnecessary.

18. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just finished the first season. I liked it, and hope the second half can maintain the drama. I could definitely tell which episodes were filler, but I do not feel it detracted from the story.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm up to episode 7, but if Franks plan is to take over the presidency, he is woffling on a bit.

I heard a name early on.

I think it was about pollstering.

Gwendolyn Pierce

Is it possible that House of Cards and Charles in Charge are occupying the same imaginary universe?

20. Temis the Vorta