Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Watching the Carbonite Maneuver and Kirk saying that they represent the "United Earth" and not the Federation. Makes them being called the First Federation even weirder if their Federation wasn’t conceived yet.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe that's where they got the idea from?
    JB

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Phaser Two and Sir Rhosis like this.
  4. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

While watching "The Squire of Gothos" today they had a "laser beacon" when their communicators didn't work.
    I never noticed it before.

Phaser Two likes this.
  5. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Right! There were all kinds of interesting landing-party related touches in that one, from the breathing masks to the highly unusual group of McCoy/DeSalle/Jaeger - I guess DeSalle was in command - to the fact that various members of the crew go down to Gothos three separate times (four if you separately count Sulu and Kirk being abducted). Moreover, Scotty never makes it down to the planet despite hanging around in various scenes (he does request to go down, though) and Jaeger completely disappears from the episode after the first escape.

Spocko likes this.
  6. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

It seems strange to watch the early episodes where Spock and McCoy weren't on every landing party.
    And the breathing masks they wore looked like they were stolen from a passenger plane for all they good they would have done in the expected unsurvivable weather conditions. No wonder Spock didn't want to go down.

I noticed something in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" that has I'm a 100% has been mentioned in this thread before but I'm wondering why Spock was introduced as a Lt Cmdr and wore a full Cmdr uniform. You'd think the cast would know the rankings at this stage of production.

Also Kirk seems to know too much about photography than I think a person in the 23rd century would be. My kids don't know anything about film cameras. Don't know what a negative is yet Kirk is going through reels of film like an expert.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  7. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe he's interested in 20th century optics (camera film, glasses) but not so much in automobiles (APOTA)

8. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

The cast? Probably not. Keeping stuff like that straight would be the job of the writers, producers, and the costume department.
    Who could have predicted digital photography back in 1966?

9. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Well, in Star Trek IV: The One With the Whales, Sulu can expertly pilot a late-20th-century helicopter! Must be one of his hobbies.

Syd Shanshala likes this.
  10. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Kodak didn't invent the digital camera until 1975.

11. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That egg-shaped laser tool can also be used as a soldering gun, as seen in "The Doomsday Machine." Kirk uses it to repair the Constellation's viewing screen:
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x06hd/thedoomsdaymachinehd0751.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Phaser Two and Spocko like this.
  12. johnnybear

LDS? Do you mean LSD? :lol: Or maybe it could be a drug outlawed in the twenty third century by the Federation I'm guessing?
    JB

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

This might help.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/LSD

"I think he had a little too much LDS."

14. johnnybear

Arrggghhh! Of course, now I remember Kirk's fluff! Thanks, Corp for your timely help! :techman:
    JB

CorporalCaptain and Phaser Two like this.
  15. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That joke was popular in Utah at the time.

PCz911 likes this.
  16. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

On "Squire," that's funny about the masks, and even funnier given that Jaeger tests the air by sniffing it first! Seems like a bad idea. Even better, to your hilarious point, Spock's line - in request to Scotty's cool request to beam down - is something like "Mr. Scott, neither you nor I can be spared here." If they're going to be wearing that type of mask and making themselves test subjects for the atmosphere, I see what he meant! Also, doesn't Jaeger sit at the helm during the chat before they go down? Looks cool and I liked him and the actor, but wait, the blueshirt meteorologist was the first backup helmsman?

On "Tomorrow," I think Spock's rank is given as LCDR in other S1 eps too, maybe "Court Martial" for one? I think the standard (or most often used) head canon for this is that he was a brevet commander for a while with stripes to match, maybe while he was learning the first officer ropes under Kirk.

Good observation on the film. Maybe Kirk became an expert on film with some computer research before beaming down? Of course, that's probably not a job for the ship's captain/CO (so Spock got that part right in "Squire"), but that's a rabbit hole of a different color!

Gary7 likes this.
  17. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool little detail in "The Savage Curtain":

When the Enterprise power is interfered with by the Excalbians, Scotty arrives on the bridge. The chatter indicates that reserve power is in effect. As the turbolift for open for Scotty, they open very slowly. At first I thought it was nearly an anomaly, but then when the doors close, they close very slowly as well.

Very cool, subtle detail the production team implemented to sell the issues of the power situation.

19. f14peter

f14peter Commander Red Shirt

Well, he did fly something similar in his academy days :cool:

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  20. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the little-mentioned three quarter length sleeve variant.

Gary7 and GNDN18 like this.