Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder why Leila took him to change his clothes when the other personnel from the ship who had been infected with the spores stayed in their uniforms on the planet?
    JB

Trekfan12 likes this.
  2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the story beats was Spock joyfully rebelling against his job and thus Kirk as well. Spock ditching his uniform and "going native" in a colonist outfit dramatized that, and it gave Kirk a startling sight to react to when he caught up with Spock. It was just good dramatic planning, costume-wise.

It's the kind of thinking that would have improved "The Tholian Web." Kirk's Last Orders video could have shown him in a green wraparound uniform, to create the sense that some time had passed. But the third season was not known for thoughtful touches. Those episodes were filmed on a shorter schedule.

3. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't think of any possible reason that Leila would want to get Spock out of his uniform.

4. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

The drab jumpsuits that the colonists wore in that episode were to basically symbolize their conformity when they were under the influence of the spores. Spock donning the jumpsuit was a symbol of him not being in his right mind.

Trekfan12 likes this.
  5. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Nice. Incidentally Billy Blackburn was very good at lending a presence to the bridge scenes, appearing to operate the controls, and such.

Trekfan12 and gratone like this.
  6. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a bummer because I've never met a uni-legged creature!

Phaser Two likes this.
  7. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Odd, because there's always talk about that one legged man at the a$$ kicking contest.

8. johnnybear

DeSalle, Sulu, McCoy and Kelowitz remained in their Starfleet uniforms though! I think Spock changed his garb because he was one of the main characters in the series and was meant to show us the viewer how he had changed due to the spore influence!
    JB

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  9. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How else could they emphasize this visually? Change the color of Spock's hair? Make him glow with a soft fuzzy light? Change his skin color?

10. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eyeliner and flop sweat. :techman:

11. Phaser Two

Even more interestingly, when "all the fights" break out at the end among the 580-plus people that are down there now, we only see the original landing party! Couldn't they have taken a couple of redshirts to the filming location on the last day and filmed them getting into it to increase the realism? I know, budget. :thumbdown:

12. johnnybear

Maybe Omicron Ceti III was a big planet? That or the others were all asleep in the barns!
    JB

13. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I was watching "Dagger of the Mind" today and never noticed that Adams and Van Gelder seemed to be the only staff on the colony. Everyone else seemed to be a reformed inmate unless Adams had already 'converted' the other staff with the Neural Neutraliser.
    You'd think that such a place would have very high staff levels.

14. Phaser Two

Yeah, that's a good one. I like DOM - any TOS episode with a Shakespearean title earns huge points with me right there - but you're right; the Tantalus Colony seemed a bit depopulated and understaffed. (I think there is a line or two about that, though, no?)

However, as to everyone being reformed inmates, I don't think there's anything to indicate that the guy who demonstrates the neural neutralizer - whose expression is blank and to whom Kirk (awesomely) says "Thank you" - is a former inmate. Lethe, sure; they say that explicitly. But I assumed that there were other Federation personnel around who were not former inmates, and Adams coerced and controlled everyone with his chamber of horrors. But I have not seen DOM for a long while now (too long in fact). Did you notice anything else on this point? For that matter, was Lethe being coerced too, do you think, or was she just criminally insane and unreformed?

15. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Slugs and snails.

Slurms-mackenize.

16. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

They don't have legs! While they do have one foot, the comment was about legs.

17. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haven't you ever heard the one about the one legged man at the ass kicking contest?

Mr Awe likes this.
  18. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Lethe had definitely been altered by the Neural Neutralizer. Her name was derived from the river of forgetfulness in Greek mythology.

On another mental asylum, something I'd forgotten from "Whom Gods Destroy"... Garth of Izar is wearing two different colored boots: http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x14hd/whomgodsdestroyhd0221.jpg

Phaser Two and Spocko like this.
  19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree about Lethe. The Neural Neutralizer got her. When she says, "I love my work," she has totally flat affect, and we hear the music cue for something's askew.

20. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

If the guys in the uniforms were all Federation doctors, nurses, security muscle - you wonder how/why Adams got them all under control. When Kirk made his escape attempt Adams had little trouble rallying the troops so thats why I thought they must all be ex-inmates. However the neural neutraliser might have made them even more than compliant or were they just that loyal to Adams that they allowed him to attack a Starfleet Captain and van Gelder. Some of the people like Lethe and the guy in the treatment room looked 'controlled' but the others seemed to be following Adams enthusiastically.

Phaser Two likes this.