Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Premium Member

The objective factuality of the relative scaling of parts doesn't automatically equate to financial reasons for same. IIRC, in later runs of the kit they replaced the original simple cradle stand with a much larger triangular based one that must've taken 4x as much styrene, which is a ding against it being the cost of plastic or shipping.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Huh. My very first kit, which had to be either the 1966 or 1968 version, had the huge triangular base. My second one ('73 or '75, can't say), had a flimsy little cradle assembly, which was actually better because you didn't have to glue the ship to the stand.
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek_model_kits

So I think the big triangular base-and-post came first, and was then replaced with the little cradle to save a lot of plastic. And of course the saucer was always a bit too small— which seems odd now that you've brought up the base. Seems like the base should have been the first thing to skimp on.

If the saucer size was not meant to save plastic, then we need an alternate theory.

• Maybe AMT figured they'd have trouble supporting and balancing the full-diameter saucer on the model's neck.

• Maybe Matt Jefferies inadvertently provided AMT with scale drawings of the Constellation instead of the Enterprise. Spock: "It would explain a great many things."

3. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Model kits of that era weren't usually accurate. They were, at best, simplified. At worst they were altered to do weird things (like add wheels and a torpedo up front on Japanese Seaview model kits).

The Enterprise had to not fall over. It's probably as simple as that.

As a kid, I found the model to be perfect. It's still my favorite to assemble, mostly because you can bang it out in an afternoon and it looks great.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  4. Maurice

I checked and I misremembered about the stands. See this (link).

I think Ssosmcin has it. None of the TV spaceship/scifi kits of the time were very accurate. The only relatively accurate Trek kit was the Klingon ship, because it was pantographed from the filming miniatures AMT built for the show.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  5. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Maurice

You know, looking at some of that old stuff and the contention that Richard Taylor might have disposed of the 33" TOS model not knowing what it was, but there was a small model of the Star Trek II [TV] Enterprise built by Brick Price's shop (I have video of him with it somewhere), and I wonder if that's what Taylor was referring to as regards a small Enterprise model.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  7. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Watching the Mark of Gideon and noticed that Spock disobeys the Admiral's orders and beams down to Gideon. There seem to have been no further repercussions for Spock.

8. Maurice

By the way, documents around "The Doomday Machine" i.d. the Constellation out as an "Enterprise class ship". So the intent was it's the same ship class, AMT kit inaccuracies aside.

ATimson and ZapBrannigan like this.
  9. ZapBrannigan

Of course I was being facetious, but fans are still free to go by the aired material only and see the Constellation as a variant type. TOS-R forecloses on that leeway later on, but again, fans pick their canon. :bolian:

10. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

He seems to be passed over for promotion to Captain, again...:vulcan: Having no career path forward, he should probably leave Starfleet after this tour of duty. ;)

11. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Yeah, really!

I imagine Starfleet gave him some leeway because he was right and saved Kirk. Of course, Kirk wasn't a favorite of the admiralty either, so, hmmm . . . . As Sulu says (roughly; not checking the exact quote) "With the captain missing, that's the best they could come up with?"

Henoch likes this.
  12. ZapBrannigan

When did Sulu say that?

Edit: I gotcha, it's from "The Mark of Gideon." What's the matter with me? I was afraid it might be JJ-Sulu or Streaming Sulu or...

13. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Yeah, it's in the episode. It's a nice Spock-Sulu moment and some good dialogue (of which there is plenty in the oft-derided episode). After Sulu's well-taken remark, Spock makes clear that he sympathizes and then offers some sardonic commentary.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  14. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

15. Maurice

"Arena"

The boulder Kirk drops on the Gorn (image & image) resets back to its starting position near the end of the episode as he hobbles uphill (image).

CorporalCaptain, PCz911 and Henoch like this.
  16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Punk Premium Member

When your dad is an Ambassador and your family has the ear of T'Pau, you do what you want. ;)

Noname Given likes this.
  17. ZapBrannigan

Good catch. The Metrons must have reloaded that "available weapon."

It was awful lucky the type of rock in question wasn't too dense for Kirk to roll uphill. If Kirk's boulder was sandstone, it would weigh a ton or more, and getting behind it to push like that would be reckless at best:
    http://www.delawarequarries.com/landscape/boulders/boulderwt.html

In the future, exo-geologists will have to study the origins and properties of papier-mâché rock formations. We just don't know enough right now.

18. hofner

hofner Commodore Commodore

Ssosmcin said:

Model kits of that era weren't usually accurate. They were, at best, simplified.

-----

You've got that right. As I just mentioned elsewhere, next to the TOS Enterprise, I always thought the battlestar Galactica was the coolest looking ship, especially the front or forward section. So the people who made the model kit, Revell I Think, got that same forward section very much wrong and I always hated that.

Robert

19. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it's pretty much a Star Trek staple for the Captain on the scene to disobey Starfleet regulations only to be forgiven later. Easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission?

20. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I doubt Riker or Picard or Janeway ever disobeyed an Admiral's orders.