Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Watching the Mark of Gideon and noticed that Spock disobeys the Admiral's orders and beams down to Gideon. There seem to have been no further repercussions for Spock.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

By the way, documents around "The Doomday Machine" i.d. the Constellation out as an "Enterprise class ship". So the intent was it's the same ship class, AMT kit inaccuracies aside.

ATimson and ZapBrannigan like this.
  3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course I was being facetious, but fans are still free to go by the aired material only and see the Constellation as a variant type. TOS-R forecloses on that leeway later on, but again, fans pick their canon. :bolian:

4. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

He seems to be passed over for promotion to Captain, again...:vulcan: Having no career path forward, he should probably leave Starfleet after this tour of duty. ;)

5. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Yeah, really!

I imagine Starfleet gave him some leeway because he was right and saved Kirk. Of course, Kirk wasn't a favorite of the admiralty either, so, hmmm . . . . As Sulu says (roughly; not checking the exact quote) "With the captain missing, that's the best they could come up with?"

Henoch likes this.
  6. ZapBrannigan

When did Sulu say that?

Edit: I gotcha, it's from "The Mark of Gideon." What's the matter with me? I was afraid it might be JJ-Sulu or Streaming Sulu or...

7. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Yeah, it's in the episode. It's a nice Spock-Sulu moment and some good dialogue (of which there is plenty in the oft-derided episode). After Sulu's well-taken remark, Spock makes clear that he sympathizes and then offers some sardonic commentary.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

"Arena"

The boulder Kirk drops on the Gorn (image & image) resets back to its starting position near the end of the episode as he hobbles uphill (image).

CorporalCaptain, PCz911 and Henoch like this.
  10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

When your dad is an Ambassador and your family has the ear of T'Pau, you do what you want. ;)

Noname Given likes this.
  11. ZapBrannigan

Good catch. The Metrons must have reloaded that "available weapon."

It was awful lucky the type of rock in question wasn't too dense for Kirk to roll uphill. If Kirk's boulder was sandstone, it would weigh a ton or more, and getting behind it to push like that would be reckless at best:
    http://www.delawarequarries.com/landscape/boulders/boulderwt.html

In the future, exo-geologists will have to study the origins and properties of papier-mâché rock formations. We just don't know enough right now.

12. Hofner

Hofner Commodore Commodore

Ssosmcin said:

Model kits of that era weren't usually accurate. They were, at best, simplified.

-----

You've got that right. As I just mentioned elsewhere, next to the TOS Enterprise, I always thought the battlestar Galactica was the coolest looking ship, especially the front or forward section. So the people who made the model kit, Revell I Think, got that same forward section very much wrong and I always hated that.

Robert

13. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it's pretty much a Star Trek staple for the Captain on the scene to disobey Starfleet regulations only to be forgiven later. Easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission?

14. Commishsleer

I doubt Riker or Picard or Janeway ever disobeyed an Admiral's orders.

15. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some one hasn't seen Insurrection or The Pegasus...

16. Commishsleer

The exceptions prove the point...:);)

17. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You did say "ever."

And Janeway didn't have an admiral to disobey.

18. Commishsleer

Until the movies did Kirk only disobey orders in AmokTime? I know he delayed and took on passengers but I regarded these as pushing the boundaries.

19. ZapBrannigan

"Saddle up!"

20. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kirk's rep as a maverick cowboy who did whatever the hell he wanted and damn the orders comes from the movies. And not even that many of them. The two times he truly went against orders was to save Spock. General Chang's statement of Kirk "violating the chain of command whenever it suited him" was courtroom bluster that was taken seriously by people.

Kirk was pretty by the book but the book did allow some leeway because the whole point was that Kirk was too far out to keep consulting with Starfleet (unless the plot required it). Even when he bucked the prime directive, he didn't do it on a whim and always justified or agonized over it.