Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Was Spock a command officer???
    I assume he at least had the right to be judged by people above him in rank.
    What happens when a commander goes on trial in today's Navy. Can lower ranks convict him/her? I don't know. Just assuming it would need to be someone who understood the responsibilities of his rank at not say a Doctor

2. No Grave Dug

No Grave Dug Admiral Admiral

He was in S1 so I doubt that status would change by S3. :)

The on board Court Martial itself was technically illegal. Janice/Kirk should have relieved Spock and the others of duty and thrown them in the Brig; and proceeded to the nearest Starbase to file charges and turn them over for a proper proceeding.

J.T.B. likes this.
  3. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe they'd just attended another official function/were on break from another hearing.

4. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

The problem is that the very beginning of that scene is voiced over with a captain's log entry in which Kirk states that "the officers who will comprise my court-martial board are proceeding to Starbase Eleven." So it's weird to see all three of them, immediately, laughing it up in the base bar. It's even stranger that the very stiff-looking dress uniforms are their idea of attire for such mirth.

5. Bing Hitler

Bing Hitler 270 Rear Admiral

Tailhook.

Phaser Two likes this.
  6. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When the episode aired on NBC, and for over 20 years after that in syndication, nobody ever noticed specific individuals in the restaurant and then remembered them at the legal hearing. That wouldn't come until we started studying stills on TrekCore. On TV, they were seen as just a crowd of extras, there to dramatize social activity on the base.

The makers knew what they were doing. They slyly saved money on actors and costumes by getting double duty out of the judges and bailiff, and it worked perfectly. If you're looking for something deeper than that, you're down to scraping the emulsion off the film and crying "Fake!"

7. Candy Consumer

Candy Consumer Fleet Admiral Admiral

It could be that, but unless you can cite something, it's just an assumption on your part.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  8. Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson Robot Skeleton Sidekick Premium Member

They're the sector's designated jury. They also do weddings and bar mitzvahs

9. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

10. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

I did notice it in '80s syndicated reruns, but I had seen it many times and was paying close attention to catch the uniform details.

11. ZapBrannigan

They show up in one of the set photos in The Making of Star Trek, and of course they're seen in rec room background throughout the series. 3D checkers was just a retail toy they bought for the show, and you can tell that the custom-built 3D chess game used pieces from it.

Just search for "Space Checkers" under Toys on eBay.

Does anybody know who had the idea for 3D chess, and who built the game?

Richard S. Aaaargh! and Henoch like this.
  12. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Huh? I'm not looking for anything.

Richard S. Aaaargh! likes this.
  13. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Commodore Commodore

I've never seen it attributed to anyone in particular. I'm pretty sure the base and lower arm of the 3d chess set is made of a globe stand, but I've never been able to find a match.

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  14. Mr. Spook

Mr. Spook Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, the scenes seem to be shuffled out of order. Kirk starts the episode in the wraparound uniform, goes to the standard duty uniform in the bar scene and then back to the wrap in Stone's office. And Stone and Kirk don't decide to go for the "general court" until the end of act one, so it makes more sense for Kirk's judges to show up later rather than at the start of the episode.

So, it's not like the staff was being smart and filling in the background cheaply, they just moved scenes around. This happened in "The Enemy Within" too. I am all for giving them credit for ingenuity, but sometimes a lot of it is just "shit we gotta get this episode in the can."

15. ZapBrannigan

That could be. But I think Kirk's uniform switches back and forth because he puts on the fancier green wraparound, with gold shoulder braids, for each appointment in Stone's office. And he changes back into his fatigues for the sh-- that doesn't matter, like hanging out with McCoy or Cogley. And to me, the scenes all seem to be in story order.

Richard S. Aaaargh! likes this.
  16. Mr. Spook

Mr. Spook Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wayyyyy too complex when swapping scenes explains all of it. Anyway, the uniform swap would make more sense if it was his dress uniform.

Also, Kirk's old buddies are already blaming Kirk for Finney's death. While it's possible Stone blabbed about it or it somehow leaked, it makes more sense for them to draw their conclusions after it was known Kirk was being subjected to court martial proceedings. Until then, Finney was just another casualty in the service. He sure wasn't Kirk's first fatality.

Phaser Two likes this.
  17. alchemist

alchemist Captain Captain

In the first, final, and revised final draft scripts (Sept 21, Sept 26, and Sept 29, 1966), the scenes were ordered as:
    1. Teaser in Stone's office
    2. Beginning of Act I in Stone's Office (Kirk going over the events with Stone)
    3. Star Base lounge with Kirk and McCoy (Act I)
    On Oct 3, however -- the same day that the scenes in Stone's office were being filmed -- change pages were handed down that switched the order to what was ultimately in the broadcast episode. I think it's very likely that some of the production crew (e.g., wardrobe) either missed this last second change or were unable to do anything about it.

18. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of Bran Ferren and Associates favorite SFX techniques.

19. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Man, I didn't even notice there were insignia inside the arrowheads until the summer reruns this year. :)

I do appreciate that HD and screencaps and script transcripts have made it easier to have nitpicky discussions on canon, but it does take away some of the fun of "the old days" when the boundaries were necessarily looser.

I've got a great bit about 3D chess in the 'zine I just transcribed.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  20. Okmyx

Okmyx Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I just noticed this today - in Trouble with Tribbles, when Kirk is speaking to the space station commander (on the Enterprise display screen), you can see the Enterprise orbiting the station out the window behind the commander.

[​IMG]