Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Maybe they asked Khan, he knew all of the information.

2. BillJ

BillJ History's Greatest Monster Premium Member

Therin is likely talking about the full rank stripes. They do look like banding straps now that he mentions it.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Can somebody pull up a screen capture?

I'm hesitant to believe any original series related trivia when it comes from the mouth of Richard Arnold. I'm writing a fact check of his Mission Log interview currently, and it seems like he's fallen for a lot of Roddenberry's tall tales.

Plus, it doesn't make a lot of sense that they'd make the extra effort for a supporting player, but go cheap on the costumes for their lead.

4. BillJ

I agree it doesn't make much sense, but...

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x03hd/wherenomanhasgonebeforehd015.jpg

The full stripes definitely don't fit as well as the communications officers broken stripe from "The Cage".

5. drt

drt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, they're not "rubber bands" - however, it seems like you could get gold fabric trim which would both be simple to acquire and easier to work with than plastic banding straps painted gold.

6. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"This unit must . . . de-caffeinate". ;)

7. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately I see a lot of 'sanding marks' and areas where you can tell the black paint has been touched up on the Bridge consoles from time to time. I DON'T fault to production crew as there's no way in hell they thought that would ever be discernible because I'm sure they never thought anyone would view these episodes at such high resolution on giant clear monitors 45+ years later. ;)

It also really highlights that in general the stunt doubles they often use look VERY different from the actual actor they're standing in for (most notable in 'Court Martial' and 'Space Seed'.)

Also in "Arena' it's really obvious Captain Kirk is either wearing black climbing shoes or tennis shoes after he's transported from the Bridge to the alien Planet (aka vasquez Rocks in California) :lol:

yep, in the days of the original broadcasts and in the 1970ies, the above wasn't really visible or so blatantly obvious at the TV resolution of that era.

Kuyee likes this.
  8. alpha_leonis

alpha_leonis Captain Captain

I've heard (never seen it for myself) that to watch TOS in HD television treatment, the seam between Leonard Nimoy's prosthetics and his real ears is obvious.

9. ssosmcin

ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

William Shatner's toupee seam is now more evident than ever before. Especially in the teaser for "Charlie X." Spock's ear seam is visible more often, too. This is the downside of HD viewing. There's a point where too much is revealed. I don't always like to look behind the curtain. Just because I know a magician is performing an illusion doesn't mean I want to see how he does the trick.

10. BillJ

I'll have to take a closer look the next time I watch. But nothing stands out as glaringly obvious when it comes to his ears.

11. drt

drt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep, there is one episode where you can faintly see those little football-shaped inserts used to repair knots in plywood - but painted over and at 60s TV resolution you never knew they were there. The wires on the Sylvia and Korob puppets are more visible as well.

I only notice Spock's ear seam on rare occasions, so it isn't too obtrusive. I'm usually more distracted by the amount of eye-shadow on particular characters, particularly Spock and Sulu (but that's been since the upgraded video masters rolled out in the early 80s).

However, everything that doesn't look that great in HD is made up for by the occasional amazing thing, like the matte painting of Rigel in "The Cage", which looks incredible on bluray.

12. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

I wonder if at some point they had plans for "Garison" to be a more prominent character. In one of the script revisions he changed from "crewman" to "Bridge Chief Petty Officer," and was apparently given a special insignia to go along with it. To give a more naval feel, or to be like the bosun in Forbidden Planet maybe?

[​IMG]

Whatever that banding/strapping material was, it took the metallic gold really well.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Adam Roarke (Garrison) was intended to be a regular, believe it or not. He had a contract and everything.

14. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe M-5 also dispensed coffee. After all, what else would it expect of Kirk but sitting there and sipping a latte after it deemed him to be "non-essential personnel."

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Tomorrow Never Knows Premium Member

Nomad looks more likely to make and dispense coffee.

16. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Premium Member

I recently re-listened to that podcast and I thought the same thing I thought on my initial listen: "This would be ripe for Harvey's 'Star Trek Fact Check.'"

Arnold pontificates a lot on stuff he has no real first hand knowledge of.

17. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, I was very aware of the stunt boots back in the 70s, because the lace-ups or the flat boots did not match any of the distinctive "hero" styles the actors regularly used, and actors also ran in a more natural fashion when wearing the stunt shoes than in the thick-heeled boots.

lazarus+ likes this.
  18. Maurice

Maurice ATARI CX5200 Premium Member

Arnold's "facts" aren't factual.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think my "favorite" gaffe from that interview has to be Arnold's rant about how the WGA screwed Roddenberry and Coon out of the full writing credit for "Bread and Circuses."

Roddenberry and Coon share the "written by" credit for the episode. No other writer has a credit!

lazarus+ likes this.
  20. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Premium Member

And all the hoops Arnold goes through to explain why the episode has a reference to the "son of god" and how it must've slipped by Roddenberry!

Um, Richard, Roddenberry's revised script is the one that got shot and he was still writing pages as the episode was being filmed.

lazarus+ likes this.