Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps Spock was correct in his assessment and nobody walked in, at any point? That is, both the interruptions were Talosian illusions, designed to strengthen his resolve and commitment...

Timo Saloniemi

Methuselah Flint and Search4 like this.
  2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

You're replying to a person who hasn't been here for 6 years.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  3. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Occupational hazard with very old threads!

BK613 and Methuselah Flint like this.
  4. Maurice

This is why you look at the date on the post you’re replying to.

5. Search4

Search4 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well what do you know? I finally got the last word.

Timo and plynch like this.
  6. Mytran

You'd also need to click on the poster and then click on their posting history to see when they were last active, since that information is not displayed in the thread.
    It's not an impossible task by any stretch, but unless a poster has a strike through their name I don't have a reason to assume they're inactive

7. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

You do realize this thread is in the TOS section of the BBS. I don't think I ever saw the TOS heroes enter a holodeck of any kind in TOS season 1. ;)

8. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I thought I'd post these here instead of a movie version of this thread because the one I googled hadn't been used since 2018 and I didn't feel like making a new thread.
    I've been watching this film since I was a little kid. I never noticed the tiny spacedock next to the whale probe nor the fire burning on Vulcan. The size of the whale probe blew my mind.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

publiusr and CorporalCaptain like this.
  9. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Technically, it's the TOS/TAS section, and yes, we saw TAS heroes enter the holographic rec. room.
    [​IMG]

publiusr likes this.
  10. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

Out of context it looks like they got shrunk and put in a cardboard box. :D

11. Timo

Might be a plausible way for the system to work. The heroes already have the secret of shrinking down pat in "Practical Joker" if we go by airdates... Although not if we choose stardates.

Timo Saloniemi

somebuddyX likes this.
  12. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Just how wide is the Enterprise?

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the infamous Filmation coloring flubs is there. Uhura is rendered in Chapel's colors in the second frame there, for those who didn't notice it.

14. Timo

...So it is one of 'em cases where holographic clothing is the thing after all.

Timo Saloniemi

Noname Given and somebuddyX like this.
  15. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

It's not just the width, it's the height, too! My in-universe fix: it is really a smaller room but a hologram is active to make it appear as a big empty room. ;) When security opens the door, the room appears a little smaller based on the position of McCoy, or maybe he was just closer to the door at that moment. :shrug:
    [​IMG]

(Or maybe it's the camera positioning and lens selection :whistle:.)

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  16. Mytran

In addition it seems like the TAS Holodeck doesn't open up into a corridor but instead some sort of foyer filled will computer equipment

17. CorporalCaptain

This could have been an emergency access hatch and not a primary entrance, though. That hatch could have been in the equipment room for the rec room, next door to it. The primary entrance seems to have been off a corridor, as seen upthread.

edit - However, you can see engineers trying to pry a door, from the outside.

https://tas.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/blu-ray/203-BR/thepracticaljokerhd0338.jpg

No doubt, really, that the intent was that it be the same door. Unlikely (given all production factors) that the intent was that they gave up and tried another way in. It's far more likely that there is indeed a production error somewhere. Oh, well.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  18. Maurice

I'm really good at reverse-engineering perspective drawings, so here ya go.

If we assume Bones in his cuban heels is 6' tall, we can see that, at minimum, the room is
    • ~64' wide
    • ~26' high
    • at least 80' deep
    (I could work this latter # out more specifically but that's a bit more complicated)

If (big if) the back wall is exactly below the "camera" the console is center centered on the deep axis and juts sliiiiightly off to one side of the width center.

EDIT: Had a minor error so replaced the image with a fix.
    Untitled.png
    • CYAN lines find the center of the room
    • LIGHT GRAY lines = 1 Bones' height
    • PURPLE lines find the centerline of the narrower wall

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  19. Maurice

The problem with the idea of the holographic room being smaller than portrayed is then where in the POV in that downshot? In fact, for the "camera" to be where it appears, if the room were "real" and not a film set with wild walls, it would be over 50 feet high. In my breakdown I just assumed the walls are wild like on TOS so the camera can be outside the "set" and defined its minimum boundaries only by what appears in frame.

As to the door, what we see looking out doesn't quote match what we see from outside, but then... Filmation Quality™!

publiusr and Noname Given like this.
  20. CorporalCaptain

Well, it may indeed (as it were) be that the room does not have the dimensions that it appears to in the shot analyzed with vanishing points. The blank cube could just be a default pattern, to indicate that the holographic projectors are on, working, and able to render images that exceed the room's actual dimensions. I'd never assumed that was intended, but.... :shrug: