Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The room HAS to be biggish because if Uhura, Bones and Sulu stood with their arms extended, fingertip to fingertip, they'd be effectively 16–17' feet across (the average person's height is roughly their armspan). That's the absolute minimum the room could be across or they would find a wall just doing that (maybe smaller if they happened to land on the diagonal). Not that anything on Star Trek Animated is well thought-out...least of all this loser episode.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  2. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Counting down till Christopher weighs in on the merits of Filmation . . . 3, 2, 1 . . .;)

Search4, publiusr, PCz911 and 2 others like this.
  3. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Anway where would you fit such a big room on the Enterprise and theres another huge different room in TMP Has the Enterprise got space for two great big empty spaces? .
    The holodecks in VOY seem a lot smaller.but maybe thats improved technology.

4. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TLDR
    Due to the more complex shape of Voyager’s Holodeck accurate measurements are not possible without further analysis, but we get a pretty good idea with TNG’s version thanks to the grid
    Measuring wall to wall (width) and door to rear wall (length):
    • TNG Holodeck: 20’x36’
    • VOY Holodeck: 24’x38’

HOW I GOT THERE...

In terms of size, the set plans show a maximum space available of 28' wide by 56' long which was usually dressed as the shuttle/cargo bay. However, thanks to the convenient grid lines it's clear to see that the Holodeck was much smaller than that:
    [​IMG]
    https://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/season-6/6x05/schisms-hd-171.jpg
    If those grids are 2 feet wide as this pic indicates then the holodeck was only 10 squares wide. Other pics (and the later Voyager set) suggest dimensions of 20' wide by 32' long, plus another 4' of length for the "arch"

TNG sometimes showed an enormous square Holodeck
    [​IMG] https://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x21/hollow_pursuits_hd_428.jpg
    However, the lines are much chunkier and I suspect this version only existed in CGI - or maybe it was a miniature?
    [​IMG]
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Holodeck?file=Hoerter_with_holodeck_model.jpg

All the physical sets consistently showed a rectangular shape
    [​IMG]
    https://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x04/codeofhonor_hd_075.jpg

However, sometimes the camera angles cheated to make the room appear larger than it was:
    [​IMG]
    https://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x14/a_matter_of_perspective_hd_399.jpg
    https://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x14/a_matter_of_perspective_hd_400.jpg
    (remember, the set was only 10 squares wide!)

Voyager's Holodeck changed the walls but kept the convenient grid flooring. The bays on the walls actually expanded the width of the floorspace to 22' in places. They also pushed the outer walls to 26’ wide!
    [​IMG]
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Holodeck?file=Voyager_holodeck.jpg
    The regular size of the bays also allow us to approximate the length of the room at 32', plus an extra foot or two granted by the bays at the end of the room
    [​IMG]
    https://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/5x11/latentimage_535.jpg
    The design of the "arch" was altered for Voyager's Holodeck but the 4' extension was retained.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Timo likes this.
  5. Maurice

6. Mytran

Sorry about that. I've tried a different link now

7. Maurice

Still doesn't work.

8. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's memoryalpha; they've always been restrictive about linking to images used on their site.

9. Mytran

How annoying! I guess it wasn't showing up on my PC because it was already in my browser cache. I have now checked on my phone and neither MA link work. Hmmmm...
    I had hoped to avoid this, but I have rehosted the images myself.
    And since I did those two images, I may as well do it for the others.
    And display the images.

So much for a quick post! :brickwall:

publiusr and somebuddyX like this.
  10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The sad thing is that the TAS room would have easily fit inside the E-D (indeed, the "ocean shore" and "hedgerow maze" simulations it was projecting would have fit in there just as easily!), making those size considerations moot in general. The whole range of different TNG ones could be in there, too.

NCC-74656 may only ever have hosted a single holodeck, but fitting something like four would still not require much effort. Only the TAS one presents an "issue", and probably calls for the "default simulation is that of a vast room" rationalization... Although obviously Uhura would be in error when thinking they can defeat the computer by walking in a straight line, since the computer would already have fooled them with treadmill effects many times over during the forest stroll. Then again, her trick never worked anyway, irrespective of assumptions on holodeck size.

Timo Saloniemi

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  11. BK613

@Mytran Nice overview on the holodeck. Had I been in charge, that yellow grid would have been portrayed as a default environment setting ( like you see when you open a 3D program like Blender.)

12. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Isn't that exactly what it is?

13. BK613

I meant that the grid wouldn't bet the actual walls of the physical space but a default hologram. But the times we see the fragmented failure of the holodeck suggests that the grid is the walls of the physical space.

Timo and Methuselah Flint like this.
  14. Mytran

Maybe it is - the Enterprise-D was designed with civilians in mind (hence the extra safety barrier of the yellow grid) whereas Voyager wasn't.

Timo, Methuselah Flint and BK613 like this.
  15. BK613

Great idea. I was just thinking of the times like "Homeward" when we can see the grid under the failing hologram.

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I’ve always like that TAS Enterprise was much larger. I also think it fair for its shuttlebay to be, say, half the length of a Battlestar arm. It fits in with the Disco Enterprise quite well now. :)

Each window is an arboretum, with a larger than life stature peering out looking human scale but larger. My head canon. Now all of a sudden Star Wars ships look smaller...perfect!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Richard S. Ta likes this.
  17. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've mentioned before that, in City on the Edge of Forever, when the hobo vaporizes himself....in my headcanon he set it to overload and then fired it disentigrating himself and the phaser.

If true, thats a nice little suicide device. One click of a wheel, push a button and zap!

Handy things those phasers. Stunners, vaporizers, heaters, grenades...

18. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh no, don't do that to yourself.

BK613 likes this.
  19. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Do phasers even vaporize the vapors? Maybe it doesn't really vaporize things at all. I still think the "vaporize" setting acts like a transporter and first converts a given mass into energy, then phases the energy into subspace. No mess.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  20. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thats exactly what I thought until TNG came along said otherwise....still doesn't explain how those horrid screams can be heard even after the person is gone.