Hasbro's Power Rangers era and General Tokusatsu discussion

Quarter 4 of KingOhger's toy release schedule

September through December- Q4

The Kyoryugers will be making an appearance! Capitalizing on the "King" theme from Kyoryuger and it also being their anniversary.

There will be a new Gabutyra that can combine/replace Kuwagata.

DX New Gabutyra 2023 Version:
Price- ???
Releases- September

Transforms from Gabutyra into Kyoryuzin 2023 version which stands at 27 cm tall. (Will then combine with the King-Ohger ShuGods, replacing Kuwagata in the formation.)

DX Red GaburiCaliber:
Price- ???
Releases- September

A red colored GaburiCaliber that is 47 cm long.

More details/ RUMORS

-There will be a new power up for Kyoryu Red

-As far as what’s in the catalog, Daigo will stick around for a bit (fall to winter as mentioned before) but the details are unclear.

-In addition to Daigo on the show and a V-Cinema, there will also be a YouTube spinoff (like Racles) featuring the Kyoryuger

I think this is leading to an Avengers level threat

We started with Zenkaiger. Then we get Master/Kaito and his connection to Don Momotaro. Daigo will recruit/meet Gira or have a thin connection to the next sentai.

This would create a small universe of Reiwa sentai's that will get together for the 50th anniversary

Ultraman's been doing something similar for awhile. I think that's what they want to do/replicate the success of

Last edited:
Man, King-Ohger is DELIGHTFUL.

I haven't been able to get into a Sentai series since Go-Onger, and now halfway though I think this might be my all-time favorite series (of the ones I've seen).

If Sentai ever decides to do a full blown sequel series, this is the one I want to continue!

Man, King-Ohger is DELIGHTFUL.

I haven't been able to get into a Sentai series since Go-Onger, and now halfway though I think this might be my all-time favorite series (of the ones I've seen).

If Sentai ever decides to do a full blown sequel series, this is the one I want to continue!

It's really written more like Kamen Rider than your typical Sentai. It's got multiple heroes who start out with clashing agendas and only gradually become allies. It's got a human villain. It's got moral ambiguity and a storyline about complex political machinations.

Kamen Rider Gotchard poster revealed.

Two writers are listed for this series. Keiichi Hasegawa and Hiroki Uchida. Ryuta Tasaki is directing.

Teaser

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/rGyQbeDWfIU?feature=share

F1gyJpgaAAAVkKY

Some extra details:

The TV-Asahi site is also up: https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/gotchard/

Gotchard's civilian identity is Houtarou Ichinose, a high schooler who is tasked with hunting down 101 Chemies (monsters born from Ridechemy Cards) using his own Ridechemy Cards in the Gotchard Driver. His bike is called the "Golddren"

>Alchemy is the art of creating gold by combining different elements. One of its mysterious researches included an attempt to create "living things" artificially. In this series, the story unfolds in the present day, where these experiments have succeeded in secret.

>The key to the story of "Kamen Rider Gochard" is the "artificial life form Chemmy" created with the best alchemy technology available. Chemmy is a life form made in the image of grasshoppers, SLs, and all other things that exist in this world, and there are 101 of them. They were stored on cards called "Ride Chemmy Cards".

>However, they were supposed to have been carefully stored, but they all jumped out of the cards and were released all at once. Ichinose Houtarou, a high school student who accidentally gets caught up in the incident, is entrusted with Kamen Rider Gotchard's transformation belt, the Gotchard Driver, and given the mission of retrieving the unleashed Chemmy.

>Chemmy can be a reassuring presence that becomes companions to humans if they resonate with a good heart. As proof of this, Houtarou loads the Ride Chemmy card into the Gatchard Driver, which fuses him with the Chemmy and transforms into Kamen Rider Gotchard.

>On the other hand, when Kemmy combines with human malice, it risks giving birth to the "Monsters Malgam". It is the very essence of good and evil, two sides of the same coin.

>Houtarou's habit is to say "Gotcha! which means "I got it!". But can Houtarou "gotcha" all 101 chemmy? In September, the curtain rises on a Kamen Rider legend unlike anything you've seen yet!

Last edited:
Other info I gleaned from Twitter: The Chemies can form "negative bonds" with humans, transforming them into monsters called Phantom Malgams. Gotchard's catchphrase is apparently "I gotcha!," which is a pun on Gacha games, some kind of in-game purchase system in video games.

The premise of having to re-seal a fixed number of released monsters back into the cards from which they were freed reminds me of Kamen Rider Blade, while the alchemy theme evokes OOO.

Keiichi Hasegawa is a very accomplished writer, not only for Kamen Rider W, Fourze, Drive, Ghost, and Saber, but for Ultraman, having written a lot for Ultraman Tiga, Dyna, Gaia, Nexus, Mebius, and Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle, and a number of the Heisei-era Ultraman feature films. Ryuta Tasaki is possibly my favorite toku director. This all sounds very promising. (I'm disappointed the rumor about Gotchard being female wasn't true, but I didn't really expect it to be.)

The info says the composer is Hiroshi Takagi, but I can't find a listing for a composer of that name. However, Hiroshi Takaki scored Lupinranger vs. Patranger vs. Kyuranger and several series in Toei's PreCure franchise, so that may be who they mean.

Shin Kamen Rider is now available on Amazon Prime
Look for Shin MASKED Rider if you can't find Shin Kamen Rider in the search which is odd since it's subbed.

I have only seen a couple episodes of Kamen Rider here and there, it never did too much for me but this gonzo take is fun. It starts out in a grindhouse fashion and then is kinetic and kooky for a good bit bug bogs down a bit at the end.

Look for Shin MASKED Rider if you can't find Shin Kamen Rider in the search which is odd since it's subbed.

It kind of makes sense. Masked Rider used to be the standard English title of the series, even in the bilingual title logos of the first decade of Heisei-era shows. The convention of leaving the Kamen untranslated didn't catch on until Heisei Phase 2 began with Kamen Rider W in fall 2009 (or Kamen Rider Double as it's rendered in Roman script on the title card). So it makes sense, I guess, that a retro remake of the original series would revert to the retro approach of Anglicizing the title.

Interestingly, the change happened less than a year after Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, the 2008-9 American adaptation of Kamen Rider Ryuki, chose to leave the "Kamen" untranslated, despite Dragon Knight being a literal translation of Ryuki. (I'd guess that was because they didn't want to remind people of the reviled Saban's Masked Rider adaptation. Or maybe there was a trademark issue with Saban that they wanted to avoid.) I wonder if Dragon Knight keeping the "Kamen" inspired Toei to stop translating it in their Anglicized titles.

I have only seen a couple episodes of Kamen Rider here and there, it never did too much for me

Which era? The '70s-'80s shows were very different from the post-2000 stuff, more just conventional, repetitive Showa-era action shows about fighting evil organizations and their monsters-of-the-week, which are an acquired taste. The modern shows tend to have rich, elaborate, soapy storylines, often with interesting philosophical or ethical themes and plenty of moral ambiguity.

Which era? The '70s-'80s shows were very different from the post-2000 stuff, more just conventional, repetitive Showa-era action shows about fighting evil organizations and their monsters-of-the-week, which are an acquired taste. The modern shows tend to have rich, elaborate, soapy storylines, often with interesting philosophical or ethical themes and plenty of moral ambiguity.
I can’t remember which specific series but newer and older both. I am really particular of which ones appeal to me. A lot of them don’t do much for me but I prefer the older aesthetics for the most part. The really plasticky, toyetic stuff is generally a turn-off.

I can’t remember which specific series but newer and older both. I am really particular of which ones appeal to me. A lot of them don’t do much for me but I prefer the older aesthetics for the most part. The really plasticky, toyetic stuff is generally a turn-off.

It took me a while to get used to the silly designs of the armor and weapons and the annoying announcements and music they play, but I learned to put up with them because the storytelling was so good. There's a massive incongruity between the intense drama and character conflicts and the goofy announcements and jingles that play as they prepare to fight to the death (or nearly so, since hardly anybody dies permanently in modern KR), but after a while, it stopped distracting me and I pretty much got used to it (though some of the jingles and announcement voices are vastly more annoying than others).

Watched Shin Kamen Rider. I really wish Toei had the ability to make a Kamen Rider project for an older/general audience that wasn't a hard R gorefest. Now I don't generally mind gore, I really enjoy the Saw film franchise for example, but there is a time and a place for it and a Kamen Rider project, in my opinion, is neither. I don't want to see Kamen Rikder pop peoples heads like water balloons filled with blood, its just gross and stupid. Shin Ultraman wasn't filled with horror movie style gore even though it had the same writer making it, and neither did Shin Godzilla really (it had some blood, especially with Godzilla's weird early forms, but it wasn't really gore in the way SKR's blood was, and there were less scenes with it). But all three of Toei's "adult" Kamen Rider projects (Amazons, Black Sun and Shin Kamen Rider) feel like they'd beat the average Evil Dead film in the blood/gore department, and its drags everything else down.

Even besides that the story overall sucked, not quite as bad as Black Sun or Amazons but still just bad. I guess Anno used up his good ideas on Godzilla and Ultraman. Overall I'd count this as another failure for Kamen Rider in attempting to make something for an older demographic, and I'd never watch it again.

Ah. So Shin Kamen Rider is another hard R attempt with the brand. I watched Black Sun and some of what they did I couldn't really stomach.

Also for those don't know it. We're getting a Shin themed mecha composed of

Godzilla
Evangelion
Ultraman
Kamen Rider

The fact that they actually built a physical suit speaks volumes.

Ah. So Shin Kamen Rider is another hard R attempt with the brand. I watched Black Sun and some of what they did I couldn't really stomach.

Yeah. Maybe not quite as horrific as Black Sun, which seemed to revel in things like tearing out guts, but pretty bloody, especially compared to the other two "Shin" projects. While I'm used to various Kamen Rider killing monsters, this kind of felt, to me, as out of place as if I'd been watching Superman violently smash skulls in. I don't really know if Toei asked for this or if Anno decided on it by himself, but like I said its a weird turn from Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman, which makes me think it was Toei's influence, especially with their track record of ultra violent stuff.

It's that time again. Magazine scans time. Next month Kamen Rider Gotchard makes his debut

You put both cards into the GotcharDriver and it says the card names, then you pull the levers on the sides to GACHANKO!! them together.

Gotchards scarf is meant to mimic the smoke coming out of a steam train

IFkbSS7.jpg

NAg84Yr.jpg

vCRk6Ml.jpg

CJCLpIp.jpg

QQWVi69.jpg

ufBwm7W.jpg

6R1uXir.jpg

Kamen Rider Gotchard promo after tonight's Kamen Rider Geats.

And the usual promotional photo on top of Toei's favorite rooftop

r6Oemq9.jpg

Secondary for is called ApareSkebo(Skateboard)

JQWr4X4.jpg

Secondary rider. Kamen Rider Valbarad

bBbF0PZ.jpg

Last edited:
The wiki has the secondary's name as Valvarad, with a race car theme, so I guess it's a play on "valve." I would've thought it was pronounced Barubarado, perhaps a play on "barbarian," but it's actually Varubarado (or Vu-a-rubarado), with the initial syllable ヴ being a "vu" syllable added to Japanese comparatively recently for use in foreign words.

Weird design -- was that armor assembled from junk? If so, how does it materialize/dematerialize? It'd be funny if it were like Kamen Rider G-3 from Agito and the wearer had to put it on piece by piece.

I know it's for the toy sales, but I'm tired of henshin devices that shout everything like wrestling announcers.

New Bandai Mania videos are up showcasing new toys for King Ohger and upcoming Kamen Rider Gotchard.

Bandai Mania's demonstration of God Caucaus(the castle in King Ohger that's revealed to be a giant mecha) It's not even going to debut till next week(robo mode) but Bandai couldn't resist and showcase it.

Here's also bandaiMania Video on the GotcharDriver. I love how simple it is. It doesn't protrude from the waist like the Fourze driver and there's no unsightly handle on the side of the drive.

Also good old fashioned cards. Just cards. No electronics or key card type of cards. Just cards.

Last edited:
Nice design for the GotcharDriver -- nice and compact, not one of those oversized ones that look unwieldy. Nice simple mechanism to push the cards together and form the mask -- I guess that's how you know you've got a Best Match (sorry, wrong series).

Links for the presscon on Toei Tokusatsu and SHT. Both are region locked.

For the past few press conferences, the stream-of-the-stream has happened on this Twitch channel. Very likely it'll be there for Gotchard too.

momosaruoniinukiji - Twitch

Conference starts at 10 pm tonight

Back