Hasbro's Power Rangers era and General Tokusatsu discussion

That's my point. Toei could have put more care into their re-releases of older shows, making remastered editions available the way Tsuburaya does with Ultraman, but instead they just dump a bunch of low-quality compressed videos on YouTube, and in most cases don't even offer more than the first two episodes of a series.
This depends on Toei's Archival Warehouse for older shows, especially pre-digital era stuff.

What do they have for accessing footage and modernized digital capture of older stuff.

I'm not quite sure of how they store older shows, given the vast library of content that they have.

This depends on Toei's Archival Warehouse for older shows, especially pre-digital era stuff.

What do they have for accessing footage and modernized digital capture of older stuff.

I'm not quite sure of how they store older shows, given the vast library of content that they have.

Again, what I'm saying is that it's disappointing if they don't handle their content as well as Tsuburaya does. If their archives are inferior, that's not an excuse, it's the essence of the criticism.

I mean, ShoutFactory now has every mainstream Ultra series through 2018 available for free streaming in at least moderately good quality (though the version of Leo on their website has some bizarre audio echoes and lousy subtitle graphics, and the subtitle translation on The*Ultraman is atrocious). And as you know, every new episode is simulcast for Western viewers. Why can't Toei do that with SS & KR?

And as you know, every new episode is simulcast for Western viewers. Why can't Toei do that with SS & KR?
Because Tsuburaya lives and dies with Ultraman, it's basically their only property worth anything. Toei is much bigger with a dozen subsidiaries, for them One Piece is the show that gets pushed the most right now and gets simulcasts internationally. KR & SS are just not as important to them as Ultraman is to Tsuburaya.

Because Tsuburaya lives and dies with Ultraman, it's basically their only property worth anything. Toei is much bigger with a dozen subsidiaries, for them One Piece is the show that gets pushed the most right now and gets simulcasts internationally. KR & SS are just not as important to them as Ultraman is to Tsuburaya.
Not surprised, One-Piece is WAY more popular than Tokusatsu is combined.

Because Tsuburaya lives and dies with Ultraman, it's basically their only property worth anything.

Haven't they been having some success lately with the animated franchise based on Gridman? They've done two seasons and a feature film, apparently, so it seems to be doing at least moderately well.

Toei is much bigger with a dozen subsidiaries, for them One Piece is the show that gets pushed the most right now and gets simulcasts internationally. KR & SS are just not as important to them as Ultraman is to Tsuburaya.

I see. That's too bad.

From Bandai themselves - An instructional video for DX Tarantula Knight, including the combination for Extreme King-Ohger(The 14 mecha combo) .

A bit underwhelming. It's just a backpack and new helmet.

They're probably saving the bigger changes for the 20 piece combo

There's a rumor circulating about a new Ranger for Power Rangers Cosmic Fury:
https://theilluminerdi.com/2023/02/19/power-rangers-cf-7th-ranger/

Reportedly, Izzy's girlfriend Fern will become the first official Orange Power Ranger. I hope this is true, since I love how DF made Izzy & Fern's relationship a major part of the show, and I do want to see it continue. And the next step up in representation from having a lesbian Ranger on the team is having a lesbian couple on the team.

Other Power Rangers-adjacent news: Johnny Yong Bosch (Adam Park from Mighty Morphin, Zeo, Turbo, and Once & Always) will be voicing the lead character of the upcoming Ultraman Blazar in its simultaneously released English dub.

https://news.ultramanconnection.com...n-blazar-english-dub-as-captain-gento-hiruma/

This gives Bosch a peripheral connection to all three major tokusatsu franchises, since he voiced the lead character in the Kamen Rider Dragon Knight video game. This makes him one of two Asian-American actors to have that distinction, the other being Kane Kosugi, who played Ultraman's host in the English-language Japanese-American co-production Ultraman: The Ultimate Hero, Jiraiya/NinjaBlack in Kakuranger (the counterpart of the Black Alien Ranger during Bosch's tenure on PR), and the antagonist Kamen Rider Daimon in last year's Kamen Rider Revice summer movie.

Here's Kamen Ride Gotchard. A bit busy looking. His helmet was described with goggles like Tai for Digimon. He's also got a scarf. His collectible is cards

FztmvrZXgAAABqt

Close look at the belt

FztiyyyWIAAafB7

He's got a train motif

https://twitter.com/Ben77878871/status/1674042497499054086

Here's Kamen Ride Gotchard.

Cool design. It evokes the original, and the gogglehead look is fun. There's a youthful, lighthearted look to it that reminds me of Fourze.

He's got a train motif

Okay, then there'd better be a guest appearance by the DenLiner gang...

In other news, Power Rangers is leaving New Zealand, where it's been filmed for the past two decades. Apparently this is a blow to the NZ economy. https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/06/28/huge-blow-to-industry-as-power-rangers-ending-production-in-nz/

I remember when we first got the promos from Ninja Storm and we first saw the beautiful new filming location.

Before that LA was drab with filming mostly consisting of parks and the warehouse district. We'd also see that USbank skyscraper all the time.

So yeah. This is really it for the Power Rangers iteration that WE know. The next incarnation is supposedly going to be more young adult focused

And I thought this was funny.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1674066977155866624

Let's try to make Donbrothers adaptable by adding in as many one liners as possibly. It will be like Power Rangers never left!

Interesting video to take a look at

Gregory Mitchell who used to be the Sr. Director of Marketing & Brand Management at Bandai explained the problem with Sentai in this interview:

It is well worth watching, as it explains the problems from someone who was dealing with them on the front line.

But here is a summary:

They can adapt Sentai into an entertaining TV show without any problem.
But no one under 5 buys merch with Sentai designs. They are just too babyish looking.

Parents of preschoolers don’t like PR because they think it’s too violent.
This forces the show to be extra comedy heavy and preschool friendly, which drives older kids away.

They put all this effort into creating a preschool friendly show. And then when the audience turns 6, they kick them out.

Plus, with Sentai, they can’t capitalize on trends and things kids like.

I think as a fandom we are immune to Sentai and can’t see how babyish it looks to kids.

Sentai was fine for Saban Brands. Saban didn’t have the means to design toys. It was cheaper to get all that ready-made from Japan, and they could pump out a large number of toys and episodes.

Designing toys is Hasbro’s bread and butter. So Sentai offers nothing, especially as the market is shifting to smaller toy lines and lower episode counts.

New rumor about Kamen Rider Gotchard. 50/50. Main writer is Riku Sanjo.

2qrjFcR.jpg

He wrote Kamen Rider W and Kamen Rider Drive. Drive I thought was so so. Nothing special about it. Kamen Rider Double was a really intriguing series.

Double/W was one of my favorites, and while Drive had a weak first half, its last third was fantastic, and its lead was one of my favorite Riders. I'd love to see another Riku Sanjo season.

I loved drive, and thought that W was ok until it went to hell in the last 10-15ish episodes, so I'm cautiously optimistic about a show with this writer.

Kamen Rider Geats summer movie reveals its villains

Mera, who transforms into XGeats, will be played by Shohei Osada, while Haruka Kudo (Umika/LupinYellow) will take on the role of Melo.

c9bYLi3.jpg

Nice detail of Heroes in issue 181 of Uchusen magazine.

I love the way the crown becomes part of Gira's armor and his visor. And the colored gems around it are a nice, subtle way to highlight the power-up nature. Very similar in concept to ShishiRed Orion, and to the same excellent end results.

UiDJlnB.jpg

0yeEGqI.jpg

4kCI4sz.jpg

Last edited:
Back