Hasbro's Power Rangers era and General Tokusatsu discussion

It was weird to see a Dino Megazord whose hands actually worked without having to transform between shots from oversized clenched fists to proportionally tiny human hands.

Coming this month on Kingohger.

SpiderKumonos

2D6odZv.jpg

*Spider uses the KumonoSlayer to transform, a bladed weapon with alternate powers unlocked by a set of keys.

nUcG2X4.jpg

*The Venomix Shooter is Kumono’s second weapon, a blaster loosely based on bug spray

H8fCtS0.jpg

Hmm. The key ring motif makes me wonder if SpiderKumonos could be a jailer working for Rita. Although key rings are also associated with custodians/janitors. Wouldn't it be neat if the Sixth Ranger were a lowly peon in contrast to all the royalty?

Hmm. The key ring motif makes me wonder if SpiderKumonos could be a jailer working for Rita. Although key rings are also associated with custodians/janitors. Wouldn't it be neat if the Sixth Ranger were a lowly peon in contrast to all the royalty?

Guess not.

Character's name is Jeramie Brasileri, played by Masashi Ikeda

swe4wCV.jpeg

His last name comes from the Idmonarachne Brasieri, an ancient arachnid that probably evolved into the spider family.

The name Jeremy means "appointed by God". Toei and their punnery.

He's been the narrator since episode 1

https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2277414/full/

Translation
It was said that there were five heroes who saved humanity in Chikyu 2000 years ago, but there was actually a sixth. Jerami Braseri, played by Ikeda, is apparently the sixth hero's bloodline, and calls himself the "storyteller" who tells the legend of King Oger. He looks like a normal young man, but is he really old? In addition, perhaps because of his pride as a storyteller, he has a distinctive way of communicating, and he forces the Gira and others he meets to "read between the lines!" As a result, he is unable to communicate smoothly, and he is difficult for people to understand. Moreover, he is a pacifist who dislikes conflict, and tries to remain neutral in the fight between King Oger and Bagnarak, but his true intentions are still a mystery. Is Jeramie an enemy or an ally? It can be said that he is an important character that is inevitable to become a key man.

So the 6th is basically Woz...

That should make things interesting.

Indeed -- sounds like an interesting character.

I had thought that the narrator's voice in KingOhger was kind of unusual for a narrator. If he's actually an unseen character, that explains it. I think it's fairly unusual for Sentai intros and recaps to be narrated by characters within the story, though DonBrothers did it, and it's not unusual for Kamen Rider recaps to be narrated by the lead characters. But I don't think a narrator's identity as a character in the show has been a delayed reveal before. Well, unless you count Tassel from Kamen Rider Saber, but he was an on-camera narrator from the start; it just took a while before we discovered who and what he was in the context of the story.

Incidentally, I've discovered that Toei Tokusatsu World Official on YouTube now has English subtitles for all 44 episodes of Uchuu Keiji Gavan, the first Metal Heroes series from 1982-3. When the channel started a couple of years ago, they only had the first two episodes of each show subbed, but now at least this one is complete. At least, I've confirmed subtitles on the first 7 episodes so far and the last episode, so hopefully that means all the rest have them too.

I can't tell if they've added subtitles to their other shows yet. Has anyone else been following that channel?

Incidentally, the series description for Gavan on the YouTube channel is completely wrong, getting the character's civilian name wrong as well as his backstory, his employer, the nature of his enemies, etc. I wonder if it's based on an overseas dub that changed the story.

It's finally happening. Kamen Rider Tycoon meets Kamen Rider Shinobi. Toei Tokusatsu Fan Club will be making a special featuring these two.

The trailer says they’re in Shinobi’s world. So Shinobi is an alternate timeline, as are all the other future Riders.

Glad to see Shinobi isn't completely absent from this season that was supposed to be "his." I guess it's with Tycoon because he has a Ninja mode? Though it occurs to me they both also have talking frog mentors. (What is it with ninjas and frogs?)

The katakana is "Gacchaado," essentially. I have no idea what its etymology might be. Although since it's "ga" instead of "go," we can probably rule out the "Got" being an approximation of "God." (I was thinking maybe God + Orchard, but that's basically Gaim, isn't it?)

It's time to d-d-d-d-d-d-d-duel!!!!

New rumor. For those unaware, Ironheng is a retail store that has leaked info on Revice, Geats, and King-Ohger in the past. That said, grain of salt just for safety.

UTx83VG.jpg

If it's true that Gotchard is built around a dueling card game, that would make it the second consecutive KR season to parallel an element of Ryuki, since Geats reused the "contest between Riders with a single victor" idea (though in quite a different way).

I was skeptical of the "Gotcha + Card" etymology I saw suggested somewhere, but maybe there's something to it after all.

King Oh-ger in the ceremony pitch of a Japanese baseball game

Hunh. The suit performers did an okay job capturing their personalities/body language during the roll call pose and the "fight," but not so much when they were waving to the crowd (I can't imagine Rita doing that).

Oh. So Disney went there. Bandai has teamed up with Disney to bring us the "Imagination Belt"

Bandai Japan announced a new transformation belt at the International Tokyo Toy Show 2023 event the Disney IMAGINATION BELT.

This Kamen Rider looking transformation belt will be released to commemorate Disney's 100th anniversary, and will use Magic Keys that you insert in the vault looking belt.

NPWhaNz.jpg

"Final Attack Ride! SSSSimba!"

Disney- We have no idea what "Kamen Rider" is. Nope. Not a clue.........

I just finished watching the 44-episode run of Uchuu Keiji Gavan (aka Space Sheriff Gavan or Space Cop Gavan) on YouTube's Toei Tokusatsu World page. It may well be the most action-heavy toku show I've ever seen, with a number of episodes that are pretty much nonstop chases or fights showing off Kenji Ohba's acrobatic action skills (he reminds me of Jackie Chan in some ways, though he's not quite as gifted a physical performer). It's also certainly the weirdest toku show I've seen, often getting very surreal, particularly in the action climaxes where Gavan gets sucked into "Makuu Space" to fight the monsters in various shifting, surrealistic landscapes. And Gavan himself has a weird collection of resources, the weirdest being the second spaceship attached under his main spaceship that splits off and turns into a robot dragon upon whose snout Gavan perches, often for rather pointless action sequences reusing the same stock shots over and over. The Makuu Space climaxes tend to be very formulaic for all their bizarreness.

Still, the show has its merits. After the first couple of episodes, an arc is introduced where Gavan learns that his long-lost father may still be alive in Makuu's hands, giving him some angst and occasionally driving some episode plots, though it doesn't pay off until the final 3-episode arc. There are some decent action and suspense plots here and there, like the one where a monster takes a suburban family hostage in their home to use it as a sniper's nest for an attack on Gavan, a plot reminiscent of the Humphrey Bogart film The Desperate Hours. There's also a lot of fun and humor, as anyone familiar with Kenji Ohba's personality would expect.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a toku show with so many insert songs. There are a bunch of recurring songs and every episode features several of them, most of them action songs but some more dramatic ones, like the one that plays when Gavan reminisces about his father. I appreciate that Tokusatsu World's subtitles translated the lyrics as well as the dialogue.

I knew that the three Space Sheriff shows had some continuity between them, with Gavan returning as the commander to Sharivan and later Shaider, but I was surprised that the third-to-last episode introduced Sharivan's lead character, who came back in the finale already in the Sharivan armor (although he didn't do anything in the climax after showing up and posing), with Gavan being promoted and Sharivan taking over as Earth's protector in the closing scenes. I can't think of another case where a toku show set up its own sequel like that, aside from a couple of Power Rangers seasons and the Ultra Galaxy Fight web miniseries (plural) on the Ultraman YouTube page. When they have shared continuity (which happened more in the Showa Period than later), it's usually the new show that refers back to the previous one in its premiere, rather than the old one setting up the new one in its finale.

Unfortunately, the YouTube site only has the first two episodes of Sharivan available, not the whole series like Gavan, which is pretty frustrating. I wish Toei put more effort into its YouTube presence like Tsuburaya does, with Ultraman productions available on YouTube with English subs/dubs at the same time they're released in Japan, and with old and new series released in high quality. The Gavan episodes on YouTube are at really low resolution, making it hard to see well a lot of the time, particularly in the dimly-lit Makuu Space sequences.

The Gavan episodes on YouTube are at really low resolution, making it hard to see well a lot of the time, particularly in the dimly-lit Makuu Space sequences.
How low of a resolution are we talking about?
If there encodes comes from a VHS source, I remember VHS being fairly limited on resolution.

VHS/VHS-C has 240 lines
HQ versions of VHS has 250 lines
S-VHS/S-VHS-C has 400 lines.

So depending on the source, you might not be able to get better resolution unless you some how come across the original and they remastered it from the source.

I can't think of another case where a toku show set up its own sequel like that, aside from a couple of Power Rangers seasons and the Ultra Galaxy Fight web miniseries (plural) on the Ultraman YouTube page. When they have shared continuity (which happened more in the Showa Period than later), it's usually the new show that refers back to the previous one in its premiere, rather than the old one setting up the new one in its finale.

I should clarify that when I say that, I'm not counting the trend in modern shows to have the heroes of the next series make a cameo in a late episode, because that's just an unconnected, random intrusion from an unrelated storyline, and the continuities/universes of the respective series aren't linked except in the crossover. This is an organic transition from the Gavan storyline to the Sharivan storyline, which is a direct continuation with most of the Gavan cast carrying forward into the new show.

How low of a resolution are we talking about?
If there encodes comes from a VHS source, I remember VHS being fairly limited on resolution.

I don't know the terminology, but it's a low digital resolution that's often a bit posterized, and it's so data-compressed that in dimly lit shots, or when a character is small in the frame or moving slowly, parts of the image freeze and move jerkily because the image doesn't change quickly or clearly enough for the compression algorithms to register, or however that works.

So depending on the source, you might not be able to get better resolution unless you some how come across the original and they remastered it from the source.

That's my point. Toei could have put more care into their re-releases of older shows, making remastered editions available the way Tsuburaya does with Ultraman, but instead they just dump a bunch of low-quality compressed videos on YouTube, and in most cases don't even offer more than the first two episodes of a series.

Back