Hasbro's Power Rangers era and General Tokusatsu discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm single. And I'm perfectly capable of appreciating female leads on my own. I created several for Tangent Knights, after all.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Samurai8472

The original 3 Kamen Riders performed their classic henshins poses yesterday!

https://tokusatsunetwork.com/2021/07/kamen-rider-film-archive-special-night-to-be-held-july-19/

And Kamen Rider Ichigo will make an appearance in the Kamen Rider X Sentai Crossover movie

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  4. Christopher

A couple of them aren't able to stretch their arms quite as far or fast anymore...

5. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Commodore Commodore

Just be glad that they're alive, healthy enough to do media, and still like Tokusatsu enough to show up and do some classic poses for the fans.

6. Christopher

True. It is impressive that the original three are all still around.

7. Samurai8472

Hiroshi Fujioka (Takeshi Hongo / Kamen Rider #1) seems the most exuberant out of the 3 original actors

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1417525920768815104

Also Kamen Rider Saber will end in 8/22. So three more episodes left.

Last weekend was the big TV kamen rider and sentai crossover(not the movie). They're taking off this weekend due to the Olympics but will be back on August 1st

8. Christopher

I was thinking he looked surprisingly youthful, but then I realized that his hair has a very... Shatnerrific quality.

Wow. Somehow I had the impression that the one after this week's crossover would be the final episode.

It's a weird place for Saber to put a crossover, so deep into the finale arc. I guess that's why they're counting it as a "special episode" instead of using the regular chapter numbering.

9. Samurai8472

The clearest shot of Revice and his dino buddy so far

[​IMG]

Revice's buddy's name is Kyoryudai apparently, a portmanteau of kyoryu (dinosaur) and kyodai (friend).

10. Christopher

That is a surprising amount of pink. It's not even magenta. It's salmon pink.

11. KamenRiderBlade

They're using the Hart Family colors <Black & Pink> (Stu Hart, Bret Hart, Owen Hart, etc)

12. Christopher

I had to look that up. I don't follow wrestling, so I'd never heard of them.

And Revice is mainly blue and pink -- although the logo colors do look like blue and magenta.

13. Samurai8472

Magazine scan with a look at Revice from the Kamen rider and Sentai crossover

[​IMG]

14. KamenRiderBlade

So one of them is Black & Pink, the other is Blue & Pink.

Interesting.

15. Samurai8472

Hanta Kinoshita dropping hints he's writing Revice. This coincides with a japan message board post saying he was writing and Takashi Mochizuki (Kyuranger, Kiramager) is the producer.

https://twitter.com/hanta_kinoshita/status/1417813742302089217

Not alot of information on Kinoshita. I don't think he's ever written for sentai or kamen rider

Revice account's bio confirms press conference next week

https://twitter.com/toei_revice50

More information from TV Asahi website

https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/revice/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  16. Christopher

Hmm, I was kind of hoping that with the pink costume, it might turn out that Revice was female. Or since it's blue and pink, that maybe the armor was shared by a man and a woman.

On the other hand, a character named Sakura (cherry blossom) might explain the heavy use of pink. It does look like the same shade of pink as cherry blossom petals. Maybe there's some connection between her and the armor.

Setting it at a resort spa seems like a throwback to the Showa era, when Sentai and KR periodically did episodes set in scenic vacation spots or resort hotels, the owners of which probably helped sponsor the show in exchange for the onscreen promotion.

17. Samurai8472

This isn't good.

Subaru Kimura (who is perhaps best known to toku fans as the voice of the Seiza Blaster in Uchu Sentai KyuRanger.) is voicing Vice and will provide phrases on the belt.

Subaru is on the right next to Revice's actor

The bad part is he has done blackface in the past and made some...questionable posts about African culture on twitter in the past year

[​IMG]

Given that Vice's portrayal is through a voice actor, there's a potential solution to this whole debacle. Toei can just change the voice actor if and when things get too out of hand. Wouldn't be hard to do. They could even go the extra mile and have the new voice actor redub Vice in the earlier episodes for home video releases, etc. if they feel that it's necessary.

The problem is the belt which will have prerecorded phrases.

18. Samurai8472

This drawing is purported to be Revice's Megalodon form. This form is will be influenced by Kamen Rider Decade + Shark. Surprised that it's not Faiz because Faiz was shark themed

Someone got a hold of the belt/driver toy ahead of the release a month ago and showed off one of the stamps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CraneJoe who is a reliable source of information has also confirmed a few things from his livestream:
    * The second rider won’t show up until November.
    * Nine ViceStamps for Q1.
    * Kamen Rider 1’s ViceStamp will be the Christmas time power up.
    * Past belts, including the Fourze Driver, will be re released.

Toei has updated their official site to introduce Kamen Rider Revice

https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/news_articles/1311

https://news.tokunation.com/2021/07...-story-crew-details-officially-revealed-71773

19. Christopher

So one person turns into two Riders? It's like W in reverse! "The one of me is a double Kamen Rider."

Making a deal with a "devil" to use the power for good sounds like Eiji making his deal with Ankh in OOO. Although it fits more broadly with the perennial Rider trope of Riders getting their power from the same source as the villains (what the Wizard finale called the "Cross of Fire").

Nakagawa's past series as composer include Decade, W, OOO, Wizard, Drive, and Gaoranger and Boukenger on the Sentai side. Some of my favorite scores there. So that's great news.

20. KamenRiderBlade

Or Kamen Rider Ex-Aid:

"Might Brothers XX" form