Has the Red Angel moved the show out of the Prime Universe?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Hoity Toity, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no prime timeline. If any of us are still alive for First Contact day, we're going to be sorely disappointed. Congratulations on surviving the Eugenics War and World War III, though.

2. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I didn't know better I'd think you're saying every Star Trek show is entirely fictional.

BeatleJWOL, JoeP, cultcross and 6 others like this.
  3. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They can change whatever they want to....and it can be called 'fixional'. :biggrin:

rahullak and F. King Daniel like this.
  4. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    But...the historical documents!

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I think we can agree now the TCW has rendered "Prime" meaningless as I said weeks ago. The portion of the multiverse "Star Trek" as we knew has been nuked hard by it into something mangled and unrecognisable.

BillJ likes this.
  6. bookworm8571

bookworm8571 Commander Red Shirt

I’m of the opinion that there are multiple Star Trek universes, per the books and the shows and the movies, and this particular one can be whatever the viewers prefer it to be. I think the original timeline was probably significantly altered around the time Jonathan Archer met Future Guy and maybe again when Archer’s Enterprise traveled back in time and the ship’s descendants met the crew, or when Archer and T’Pol traveled back in time to 21st century Earth, and then again when Jim Kirk, Spock and McCoy traveled in time and met Edith Keeler and again when they met some 20th century astronaut and again when they went back in time and met that whale. Or how about the time Picard and his crew met Zefram Cochrane or Sisco and his crew intervened in the Klingon masquerading as a human’s attempt to change the episode with the Tribbles? No, I don’t think there has ever been a perfect reset back to the original Prime universe. The time travelers return to a timeline just enough like the other one that everything seems all right to them. In reality, the altered timeline goes on without them or with alternate versions of them.

Nyotarules, Longinus, BillJ and 2 others like this.
  7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sisko. With a k.

8. bookworm8571

Maybe it’s Sisco in the alternate universe. Whatever.

Longinus likes this.
  9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The best universe is where he's cisQo and instead of Emissary of the Prophets, he's Q.

bookworm8571 and CommanderRaytas like this.
  10. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

My understanding is that just because changes in the timeline occur it doesn't make it a new universe. Something major has to happen to split reality and create a new quantum reality like the Abramsverse.

CommanderRaytas and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Is it their intent to have this as a different timeline? Publicly they say it is all the same, I'm not sure that's how they feel privately.

Airiam looks to be completely rebuilt from her human form. Pike, in a few years, will only be able to beep. Delta radiation might be able to fuck you up badly, but to the point that only nerve ending left in place is the one that allows you to flip a switch? Even now, Stephen Hawking was able to communicate via technology even though he had a disease that ravaged his body.

I think as we get closer in the timeline to TOS, it will be tougher and tougher to look at the two shows as being in the same continuity. The original was never meant to be the basis of an entire ongoing universe, it was just as TV show trying to stay on the air from week-to-week, season-to-season. So I'll go with what I've went with since we learned Discovery was in the 23rd century, the broad strokes are relatively the same, the details are different.

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  12. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Captain Captain

It seems that Star Trek has become a bible. One story, thousand interpretation. Don't you think that we have over analyst this franchise?

bookworm8571 likes this.
  13. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

We need to hold a synod to determine what's canon and what isn't. Then the group who doesn't agree with this interpretation TrueCanonTM would just go full schismatic, we'd hold a new synod, and so on... and in the end we'd have dozens of Churches of Trek who have mutually excommunicated each other.

Wait, now that I think of it, didn't that basically happen already?

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Of course we've over analyzed it. Kinda what being a fan is.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Privately, they don't give a shit as long as people subscribe to CBSAA. All they care about is that it's not the Kelvin timeline, because CBS isn't making any money off of that.

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even back in the day watching TOS S2 - "The Menagerie" fans (including myself were asking two things:

1) they couldn't tie in the Universal Translator the way they did to other alien minds in the show? (And hell Pike was Human too).

2) He couldn't 'beep' in Morse code (or some other modern Federation equivalent code)?

So yeah, I don't think it was that they didn't have the tech - it's just that for the needs of the plot (IE to make a return to Talos IV the only real option for Pike's QoL going forward; he had a chair he could barely move that could beep once for yes, and twice for no); Pike was the way he was with all the limitations presented in "The Menagerie".

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Longinus likes this.
  17. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's my wife's 99th birthday.

18. bookworm8571

It’s fiction. It can be that way if you want it to be and it can also be an infinite number of alternate universes caused based on whether Captain Archer left his dog on the ship or took him to another planet and the dog peed on a sacred tree or if Tuvix exists or doesn’t, etc.

In my personal head canon, I prefer to believe that the ancient Spock who appears in the reboot movies is not Spock Prime but is one of the alternate universe Spocks. Sarek arranged Spock’s marriage with his ward, Saavik, per one of the novels, they have a couple of children and Spock negotiated the peace with Romulus. Luckily, there are plenty of stories and TV shows and movies to choose from.

19. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fandom has been overanalyzing since '66. Ain't stopping anytime soon.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, you willfully ignore the fact that Leonard Nimoy is listed in the credits as "Spock Prime." In fact, that's where we got the name Prime Universe from.

BeatleJWOL likes this.