Has the Red Angel moved the show out of the Prime Universe?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Hoity Toity, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

As a fan watching since 1969 at age 6 - I can state there's ALWAYS been 'entrenchment' when new Star trek hits, going all the way back to TAS in 1973 when it was a lot of the same actors and writers from the original series - just animated - and cut to 30 minutes (about 22 - 24 minutes runtime for an episode). The only thing is that with the current state of Internet social media it's much easier for those 'entrenched' fans to espouse their views to a wide audience and with Youtube and Twitch monetization for views, there's a monetary component added for them to keep it up (even if they personally might decide they start to like the show.)

2. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In general, drama or negativity around something popular and trending is usually a very successful tactic on youtube. Without question, a good number of them are just keeping up appearances to play the game.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Nor should they.

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder what they'll do when Discovery gets up to a seventh season.

Galaxy likes this.
  5. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

The same thing end of the world cultists do when the date of armageddon comes and goes without incident--rationalize it and try again.

6. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

They will have moved on to "The Picard in The Picard Show is not really Picard and CBS is just trying to trick you into liking something" videos.

7. zar

No doubt. Someone already managed to pump out a 15-minute drama complete with fake crying called PICARD DESTROYED based entirely on one sentence uttered by Kurtzman about the new series. This video is already the second most viewed on their channel with about 60,000 views while most others average below 5k, including one posted around the same time asking "will Discovery destroy Kirk?" So yeah, something tells me they're going to get a LOT more mileage out of Picard.

8. Disco!Disco!

Disco!Disco! Commander Red Shirt

No. Voyager premiered between "Past Tense Pt. II" and "Life Support" in season three of Deep Space Nine. DS9 was the only Trek on TV for about twelve episodes.

9. BillJ

BillJ Canon Warrior Premium Member

More red 'X's'?

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Doh! I stand corrected. I keep forgetting UPN effectively premiered ST: V as a midseason replacement (of sorts) in January 1995.

11. Lord Garth

It wouldn't even remotely surprise me. I'm tired of their Info Wars wannabe nonsense. It's one thing to talk about why you don't like a show, if you honestly don't like it and aren't just telling followers what they want to hear. It's something else entirely to spin conspiracy theories and pass them off as the truth. It's misinformation at best and slander at worst.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Tomorrow Never Knows Premium Member

#NotMyPicard :p

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

That's a pretty fantastic video. I have no idea who that guy is and generally care for that style of humor, but not only is it savage towards Doomcrock's Dredge and the like, but it really presents the Disco debate as the perfect microcosm of everything wrong with social media culture - the consequences of which I think are quickly becoming an existential problem.

14. Lord Garth

In my list of "recommended" YouTube Videos, it looks like FOX News Infowars Brietbart Midnight's Edge already has a video up about "Star Trek Picard" being in "trouble". I have to get them out of my list of recommended videos.

CommanderRaytas and SJGardner like this.
  15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finally figured out how to block YouTube channels. ME and Ax were the first to go.

Turtletrekker and Lord Garth like this.
  16. zar

You sure? I've been clicking "not interested > tell us why > not interested in this channel" but youtube keeps deciding I want them anyway. Is there another way?

17. F. King Daniel

I did it using the phone app so I'm not 100% sure where the buttons are on a desktop, but I had to click onto their channel page the press the 3 dots on the top-right. "Block user" was the second option.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. Mechanoid1

Mechanoid1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So Netflix confirmed they are carrying the new Picard show. I guess they changed their mind. How much is Amazon paying for it?

19. F. King Daniel

It was from an article which appears to have made an incorrect assumption. Supposedly the deal with Netflix entitles them to Discovery and any spin offs (so, Section 31 presumably), but The Picard Show is a Next Gen spin-off/sequel and thus doesn't automatically land on Netflix.

That's if you can trust anything you read on the internet.

It's gonna get really weird and confusing when Short Treks expands to encompass the other series'. We'll have 15-minutes minisodes of one Trek series on it's rival's streaming service.

20. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Rear Admiral Premium Member

Supergirl/Flash cross overs at the start? I believe they were on different networks?

F. King Daniel likes this.