Harley Quinn webseries (2019)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Janeway’s Girl, Jan 20, 2019.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Pre-New 52, Damian's original origin was that he was artificially grown from DNA of Talia and Bruce, which was Talia's doing. Post New 52, all I can find is that he was born of Bruce and Talia having a "fling", seemingly consensual, with Talia getting pregnant but not telling Bruce. I'd say its unlikely that Talia date raped Bruce to get pregnant, both the original origin and it happening just during one of their times together makes more sense to me, but DC is pretty grimdark right now so that may be either a third origin or a "reveal" related to his second.

Still, I only knew about the artifically grown origin until looking it up, its not like I can stomach Snyder era and later Batman stuff, so I can't speak much to that, just what I know of his original origin and what I can find online about later stuff:shrug:

2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Well, you might have misunderstood, or at least this reply reads that way. The pic I posted is the cover and solicitation info on the upcoming tie-in comic set after the season 2 finale.

3. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it might have been your art.

4. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished watching the first season marathon which aired on Adult Swim last night (and I recorded upon my DVR). More accurately, I watched 12 of the 13 episodes. For some reason [AS] did not air "The Final Joke", the season finale as it displayed on the listing but instead repeated the 4th story, "Finding Mr. Right". Times like this I wish I had one of those novelty foam rubber bricks marketed to throw at, but not damage, one's TV when one gets angry. Most likely it was just a stupid programming error and I'm sure Cartoon Network/Adult Swim has been flooded with e-mails, texts and whatnot on the matter. Still, it left me with a feeling of a "bait and switch", even if not intended.

On the positive side, what a wild and crazy ride that was! Yes, this was my first time watching any full episodes other than the premiere which was posted on YouTube legally by the IP owners, DC and Warner Communications when series debuted.

Commander Troi likes this.
  5. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

I love this show! I can't wait for season 3!

A few quick things:

I remember seeing that New 52 and being horrified. Not because of the sex, but because of the sexism - it was all about Catwoman's T&A. There is a line between sexy and sexist - walk down Artist's Alley at any Con. Between that and turning Starfire into a bimbo, I chose to not read any of the New 52 stuff.

Most of these characters have sex in the comics. I've been reading Tom King's run, and Bruce and Selina are having sex pretty much as often as you'd expect two very fit people in love to be having it. Maybe more. :hugegrin: Depending on the specific scene, it's sexy, or funny, or sweet, etc. Just like real life.

Even as a kid, it was pretty easy to figure out that certain characters were hooking up. But with the advent of the direct sales market, comics for an older audience were more available from the Big Two. The New Teen Titans #1 (1984) showed Dick & Kory waking up in bed together and obviously naked. Oh, the hullabaloo! I seem to remember George Perez commenting, "I don't know what you were doing when you were 19, but I was having sex!"

It's weirder than that. Back in 1987, Mike W. Barr and Jerry Bingham did a graphic novel called Batman: Son of the Demon. In it, Talia and Bats are married by Ra's (only her consent was required) and nookie ensues. Talia gets pregnant, Bats gets protective and risk-averse, Talia lies and says she miscarries, the marriage is dissolved, a boy is born and adopted out. This was never intended to be in canon. But writers have used bits inspired by it all over the place.

Fast forward to 2006, and Grant Morrison creates Damian and ties it in to said non-canon graphic novel.

Clear as mud? :crazy:

nedski, Phoenix219 and The Nth Doctor like this.
  6. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Isn't comic continuity fun? ;)

7. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seriously, when it comes to superhero fims, most of the movies are meant to be seen by kids and for international markets. It is easier to remove any reference to sex than to worry about how an Indonesian censor or a US Bible Belt pastor might react. And even if you want to imply some sexual act, if you show it while the hero is in costume it becomes something too much like some fetishism. And you know, heroes don't have sexual fetishes!

*Sigh* If only it would be so simple...

9. Commander Troi

They obviously didn't read Watchmen! :lol:

Amen, brother. :sigh:

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Season three trailer is finally here with a premiere date of July 28!

Bonus: It looks like we're getting at least a reference to that infamously cut scene!

Commander Troi and Kai "the spy" like this.
  11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

I hope the Harley Ivy ship doesn't preclude more appearances by Kiteman.

12. Kai "the spy"

13. Kai "the spy"

HBO Max put episode 1 of the first season free to watch on YouTube:

14. Commander Troi

YAAAAAYYY!

15. Kai "the spy"

New season 3 trailer (just ahead of SDCC):

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

"How is an Ivy plan an even more disaster than a Harley plan?" :lol:

17. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

I’m waiting on someone calling Ivy a cradle robber “She used to be a Rockette—-OOF!”

Hmm…what other gags might we expect?

18. Commander Troi

Who knows? But with Kite Man getting his own show (who had THAT on their 2022 Bingo card?) anything is possible.

19. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Watched some clips of this show on YouTube……will be looking for the blu rays. Don’t know how I missed catching even so much as a clip over the last year or so but I loved the stuff I saw! Their take on characters like Bane are hilarious. Not sold on Cuoco as Harley yet, and would’ve preferred the original actress or Robbie, but I’m sure she’ll grow on me.

20. Kai "the spy"

Officially renewed for season 4, despite all the shit going on at WB/D and HBO Max. New showrunner in Sarah Peters, while Justin Halpern & Patrick Schumacker are stepping down.