Harlan Ellison: Star Trek Was Just "A Cop Show"

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by cooleddie74, Jan 21, 2019.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Ellison was probably one of Snyder's all-time favorite guests based on their banter and the fact that he appeared so often over the years on both his NBC and CBS shows. Harlan was a guaranteed interesting guest who'd say entertaining things and at the end of the day that's part of the reason why Tom wanted him on so often. He drew eyeballs.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  2. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Ellison was an artist and if I was an artist I'd probably be pretty upset with someone "destroying" my work.

However in the end Ellison was working for GR and GR was responsible to the network for the show and the characters and how he wanted the show to be perceived and getting sripts out there in weekly intervals.

I read that Ellison stayed on set and did a lot of rewrites for COTEOF and maybe he got the impression that since he had put so much work in in rewrites that they would go with his version.

I don't know what Ellison saw in B5 though which I think was OK but far from visionary.

3. Thanos007

Thanos007 Lieutenant Red Shirt

But it was. Maybe not the story specifically but it was "peak TV!" over a decade before long form or serialized story telling became the norm. It was to last five years, no longer, to tell one story. The characters grew and evolved. Londo and G'Kar were simply amazing.

4. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ellison was a dolt.

5. JRoss

JRoss Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

See, that's my issue. Harlan was, by all reports (I never met him) the best friend that you'd ever have. Well, except to Connie Francis. Anyway, he was working for someone else. I make my living as a freelance writer, and while clients can be ANNOYING*, in the end, they're paying you for their own stuff. Harlan was a TV veteran by this point and should have known this. He wasn't, at this point, done paying dues. I suspect that none of us ever truly are.

As far as B5 goes, dude, you've just got to get past the first season and it picks up like crazy. First good episode is number 13 of season 1.

*Talk to me about the one who told me last Friday that the order they'd given me was a mistake and that I I was only supposed to do 10 items, not 24, after I'd taken 8 days to do all 24 (basically meant that today I got to invoice them for half a day's work out of an entire week).

6. cooleddie74

If he was a dolt he was a cunning and courageous one.

Vger23 likes this.
  7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah, it was season 1 episode 6 "Mind War."

8. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Admiral

That word does not mean what you think it means.

Ellison was a grade A certified asshole in many circumstances, but stupid or idiotic he was not.

9. JRoss

JRoss Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, yeah, Jason Ironheart! I forgot about that one. First appearance of Bester. Fun fact, this was the last episode that I watched during the original broadcast, when my folks decided that we were just a Star Trek family (they didn't like the special effects, I guess).

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  10. Vger23

I was just being silly. And I don't get to use the work "dolt" enough. It was a stretch, but it felt good.

11. GNDN18

GNDN18 François Trufan Premium Member

12. Vger23

GNDN18 likes this.
  13. cooleddie74

I like Spock's wristwatch. Or TOS-era wrist communicator. Either way, CANON VIOLATION!!1!!11!

GNDN18 likes this.
  14. GNDN18

GNDN18 François Trufan Premium Member

3CFBC479-CC8A-446B-9596-5BB0A720F938.jpeg
    Pockets. Backpacks. Wrist chronos. So many canon violations. Most of them startlingly sensible.

ETA:
    55F3460D-ED6C-4808-B623-632082818F07.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 12:31 AM
    The Wormhole and cooleddie74 like this.
  15. cooleddie74

Belts that generated personal force fields around your body so you didn't need to wear spacesuits.

GNDN18 likes this.