Halo: Season 2 - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lordcommanderdarkwolf, Dec 2, 2023.

1. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

To be fair most action games, especially the shooters, glorify violence because it's in their nature to provide "cool" action in the form of shooting aliens/robots/people. It is what it is and i've played a ton of them until i got to the age where i couldn't compete with teenagers anymore :lol:

TV and movies thankfully need to be something else because nobody wants to see 35 minutes non stop action interrupted by a few story scenes that combine the rest of the 42 minute episode. It might work once or twice within a story but won't work permanently as well as a game because you are a passive participant. I was a bit unsure about the different or rather expanded character Master Chief has gotten in this one because if we're frank game Master Chief is kind of a blank and boring slate because he always does the heroic thing and leaps in to either save friends or humanity.

What i wonder now is how far behind the show is lagging on the actual story front what the Halo is, what it is for and what it can do. Given how season 1 dragged its feet we should have gotten at least a few answers in season 2 if they had gotten to Halo in the season 1 finale but it's beating a dead horse at this point. I hope the show has enough power to give us enough seasons to answer these questions within the show storyline. It is expensive and less expensive shows have been cancelled before they could resolve their main storylines so i'm hoping for the best.

FreezeC77 likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I get that and have enjoyed many of them. But, the adaptation process is one that has to go deeper than cool. Master Chief needs to be a character or else he will not be engaging.

The simple fact is that the Master Chief of this series could not be the Cypher character from the games. That's nearly impossible because most players are not going to think deeply on why we fight; it's just a game.

But, in universe, the why is a pressing question for John 117 as he has to move from external motivation to internal, value based, motivation to fight.

He reminds me a bit of my uncle, who served in the US military, including during Vietnam. He was one of the principle influences on my coming to b enjoy science fiction and also how to think. He always questions everything, inviting discussions and debate, even from a military perspective. He introduced me to the book "Starship Troopers, " which goes in to philosophy of fighting not just blind obedience. John 117 encapsulates a lot of that exploration, but against a tenser backdrop.

The Halo show invites a much different perspective on war. It isn't looking at it with hero shaped glasses. It's presenting war as a very ugly thing.

FreezeC77, FPAlpha and 1987SpaceGuy like this.
  3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I agree and especially in the characters of Ackerson and Parangosky. I am probably in the minority here and i've said it multiple times here but i understand both of them because they have a much higher, strategic level, decision to make as opposed to Master Chief who's "just" an elite grunt on the tactical level. I find this fascinating and probably not what the show runners intended when they wrote Ackerson and Parangosky because for most of the audience i believe they'll be regarded as villains but i don't.

I also like how Master Chief and Silver Team in general broke free of their conditioning (Vannack may be the exception) and found some kind of life outside of their sole purpose and focus of being a soldier. Prior to that they were basically programmed biological robots, now they are people with their own character.

fireproof78 likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I regard them as villains but not in the traditional sense. They are not as empathic and are looking for a means to an end. They're cold because their decisions require it. See the Director from the Red vs. Blue series too.

But, it also illustrates how non black and white the study of conflict is throughout history. It's never as simple as we first think or studied initially in history class.

FPAlpha likes this.