Hair Changes in the 3rd season

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Keith1701, May 28, 2013.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Clean Old Mod Moderator

The fact that they're still making Bond films today is testament to how huge Bond was then.

2. Push The Button

Push The Button Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

T.J. Hooker...oh, the horror.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

He did seem to get a bit huskier which I think might have made him look a bit older.

It's funny back when each movie was being released you could hear remarks on how the cast were so obviously aging. Now when you look back they look younger than we remembered, particularly in the first few films.

GR put a blond wig on Majel and slipped her back into the show, but as I understand it the NBC execs noticed her right off. This time around they seem to let it pass possibly because she wasn't a major character anymore.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral Admiral

His marriage was falling apart around that time, so he undoubtedly was under a lot of stress.

5. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

funny in that altered pic he looks pretty much like he did in the films / Hooker. Funny what hair style does.

maybe if hed had TOS type hair in the films hed have looked alot more like he did back in the 60s in the films (esp the first couple of films)

6. mb22

mb22 Commander Red Shirt

7. Push The Button

Push The Button Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

His nose changed quite a bit over the years, too.

Anyway, I hope I'm half as active and successful as Mr. Shatner is when I'm 83…if I even live that long ..

8. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Commodore Commodore

The cartilage in the nose and ears slowly grows as we age. This can be accelerated by a number of factors, including alcohol consumption. It usually can't be noticed over short spans, but several decades can show a pronounced effect.

9. NellieBrix01

NellieBrix01 Cadet

Usually if I want to change the hair style I will buy the cheap hair wigs at the online shop so that it will neither cost me a lot and I can reach the goal of change my hair style easily. And just a week before I bought one short style wigs online and it makes me look better.

10. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

His beer-gut would've done much to distract from his Elvis wig ... that boy loves to eat!

11. PCz911

PCz911 Commander Red Shirt

Can't blame him... I love to eat too! :lol:

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral Admiral

The good thing is Shatner never has to eat fruit salad again, unless he wants to.

13. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's taken me nearly 6 months and I'm - almost - down to Shatner's "third season girth." So I have nothing critical to say. I just wish I had the money to buy his hair....

14. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

Gerrold's The World of Star Trek, first edition, pp. 96-97:

"You know, when I changed my hair, the fans noticed it immediately. I just wasn't happy with it, but I didn't like it combed back either. I thought it looked like hell. But when I went to put it back the old way, Gene didn't like it. He decided I'd have to have a new hairdo, so he sent me to Sebring's. After that it was better, I was able to make it match more easily. It hasn't changed much since then, now it's just a little longer." (As verified by the 1972-73 photo of Doohan in the book.)

("Sebring's" must refer to the famous L.A. hair stylist Jay Sebring, who was one of Sharon Tate's guests killed by the Charles Manson gang in August 1969.)

Shatner's sideburns were still semi-pointy but a lot bushier in season 3, but I always assumed that was because in the real world most adult males (and even some teenagers) had bigger sideburns in 1968 than in '67.

15. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That photo above must have been before shooting started. I recall a panicky memo from Roddenberry to Justman about how much weight Shatner had put on between seasons, and, from memory, Shatner agreed and went on a crash diet. And it worked, he slimmed down a lot.

Kirk's appearance was very different in Season 3 - he appears a lot older in the face (no doubt due to the personal dramas Shatner was having that Melakon mentioned). His hair/wig is darker and thicker, and even though he looks pudgy in the face, around the belly (in the season proper) he looks in the best shape he's been in since Season 1.