Spoilers Ghostbusters: Afterlife grade and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Nov 19, 2021.

?

How do you rate Ghostbusters: Afterlife

1. More mini-Stay Puft Marshmallow Men please!

38.1%
  2. A

42.9%
  3. A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. B+

14.3%
  5. B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Full of Slimer!

4.8%
  1. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

I do too. :) That said: I really hope there's either an Afterlife novelization or a "Last Days of the Ghostbusters" comic miniseries coming, because this movie left WAY too much unexplained re: Egon and his family; I don't want to have to wait for another movie to may-or-may-not provide those answers.

2. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I was pleased to see Egon's collection of spores, molds, and fungi. So much to enjoy in this one.

Kitty Worrier and Booji like this.
  3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Scarecrow Keeper Premium Member

Vanity Fair published a wonderful article about the day Bill, Dan, and Ernie were on set. Lots of wonderful anecdotes, jokes, and how they felt about doing the film now...and without Harold Ramis.

The article also touches on Olivia Wilde's and Bob Gunton's involvement, too.

4. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

The article is really wonderful, warm and heartfelt.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  5. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

What I´m not entirely clear on...
    Did Egon know he was going to die and become a ghost? Hiding the trap and the pke meter seemed so planned and deliberate.

6. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

He seemed upset when the farm multi-trap didn't go off, so I presume I either had time before sitting down on the chair to hide the device. Or he had long ago prepped everything for "just in case" scenarios.

7. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Well...he IS supposed to be a genius...so he might just had plans b to z ready...

8. The Nth Doctor

An absolutely wonderful conversation between Adam Savage and Jason Reitman about Jason's process in writing, directing, and producing the film and his reasons for doing it. And at the end, Jason turned the tables and talked about how important it was to have Adam involved in the production of the film and at such an early stage.

Also: I love Adam's t-shirt! :D

Dick Whitman likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

That was awesome. I had seen a couple of Jason’s movies before this and was a fan. Very impressed with how he is handling all this. I have listened to numerous interviews with him this past week. Normally during press for a movie you hear the same stock answers to the same questions they are asked a thousand times. There are certain ideas that he repeats but there is something new in each one. You can tell he loved making this and open to doing more.

It’s a thrill just to see the Ghost Corps office. I remember when that was first announced and all the various sequels and spinoffs in development. For so long it felt so nebulous and just talk. Obviously now the movie is out and fantastic and successful - we are really just off to the start of many things.

10. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

One thing I loved hearing from Jason was that he wisely stepped back and let Bill and Dan write/perform their own dialogue for their respective scenes. Those who say Ray was wildly out of character during his phone call - hey, that was all Dan, and he knows Ray better than anyone! And for every line Bill said, there was at least one alternate that could have just as easily been used instead. Apparently he and Sigourney cooked up the 'revenge psychic test' scene between them! :guffaw:

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Exactly! Also Dan Aykroyd is a producer on this movie. There is nothing in the movie he has a problem with. Same applies to Harold Ramis’ family. They were consulted from the script writing stage and all through.

That has been confirmed by his daughter Violet. But I just knew that had to be true without hearing it. To be very blunt - anyone who had any doubts of family approval on what the movie does... is clueless about how movies work. If the family objected in anyway the would have blocked it legally.

Same applies to Bill Murray. Anyone who follows his career knows he is extremely difficult. He only does what he wants to.

12. The Nth Doctor

Indeed. It matters to me that not only did Violet approve the use of her father's image for the film, she enjoyed the film as well.

13. Booji

Booji Fleet Captain Premium Member

A

From beginning to end I loved this movie. Great cast, fun story and a wonderful ending. I definitely had to fight back some tears during the last part. Bravo!