Georgiou and Tyler

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by jamiebattell, Jan 6, 2021.

1. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

Although I'm sure TPTB still intend to make the show, it's not unprecedented for spinoffs to be set up (Marvel's Most Wanted and Ripper are some genre examples which come to mind) without ever coming to fruition.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And just recently, Green Arrow and the Canaries.

3. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

I'm calling it - the Section 31 won't come to anything. I think Anson Mount's impact as Pike combined with the nostalgia-factor of revisiting the original Enterprise with Strange New Worlds superseded Section 31. Throw in season 4 of Discovery, Lower Decks, Prodigy - I don't think there's a demand for huge quantities of Star Trek.

Could be wrong though obviously.

4. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was confirmed yet again this very week that they are still going forward.

5. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

We'll see then. Much like buying a house - until you're closing the front door behind you anything can happen.

If I'm wrong no harm done.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Pretty much standard operating procedure for tie-ins, particularly with regards to shows that are still going concerns (as opposed to, say, TOS novels). When I was doing the LIBRARIANS novels, I would occasionally get notes to the effect that Egyptian mythology was off-limits because that was going to be their arc plot next season. And when I was doing ALIAS books, I wanted to bring back Gina Torres's character (whom the show seemed to have forgotten about), but was quietly informed that the show did indeed have other plans for her, so I had to nix that idea.

And, yes, sometimes plans change. When the UNDERWORLD folks suggested I do a prequel novel, right after the first movie, they didn't know they'd be doing their own movie prequel two films later, which I ended up novelizing -- even though it completely contradicted my own previous novel. (Which inspired at least one indignant reader to post on Amazon: "GREG COX, MAKE UP YOUR MIND!" :) )

Comes with the territory. All tie-in books run of the risk of being rendered apocryphal by later movies or TV episodes. It's the nature of the beast.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Just as all science fiction runs the risk of being rendered obsolete by new scientific breakthroughs or just the calendar catching up. Indeed, that's virtually inevitable.