General Computer Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Amaris, May 26, 2016.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

They’re certainly adware and spyware.

Asbo Zaprudder likes this.
  2. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's been about 5 or 6 years since I upgraded my processor so I figured it was time. This is what I went with which makes me happy:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
    ASUS ROG Crosshair VI EATX X370 Motherboard
    64GB DRAM 3000MHz
    MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB CrossfireX video card

Dispite having to find my Windows product number (which sucked); everything is running smoothing albeit a little colorfully!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Santaman and Amaris like this.
  3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Sounds like you’re good for a decade like me. :D

4. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

LOL, I doubt I will make it that long!!!!

Amaris likes this.
  5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Don’t be silly, you’ve got a lot of good years left!

6. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

2700X's are nice chips, yeah that will last you a while indeed.

I have one last single core in general use as backup/storage machine, a Sempron 145, 2.8Ghz etc etc, as storage machine it is fine but everything is now geared towards multicore/threads which had become quite noticable lately, think you will need 4 threads to get anywhere these days.

Amaris likes this.
  7. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Oh you mean the LED pox? My power supply is garish now. I had to get a new one and it has fucking LED lighting.

I hate fucking LED lighting. Even ram sticks have it. FFS

feek61 likes this.
  8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Yeah I don’t need spinning rims on my computer case. A case is a case to me.

Basically I moved what was in my old nzxt case to this smaller one. Width is wider but I was worried going too small would cause things to not fit

13.82" x 10.87" x 15.67"

9. Santaman

My current general purpose desktop machine is fitted inside a Asus OEM microtower, it used to have a door covering the DVD burner but it snapped off, otherwise it is not a bad case, enough cooling for the Ryzen 2200G and easy to keep clean, no LED infection there. ;)
    The game machine lives inside an Antec P-183 which is great at keeping it cool without much noise.

publiusr and Amaris like this.
  10. Santaman

Well well, AMD is indeed going to bring out a socket AM4 16 core 32 thread CPU, TDP will be 105 watts, that is rather impressive, guess the next threadripper series will be absolute core/thread monsters.. I mean if you can cram all this into 105 watts then you can double that easily for the 200-250 watts TDP Threadripper has.
    Also: Asmedia will provide mid to low(er) end chipsets for the 3000 series CPU so you don't have to buy a X570 if you want to have PCIE 4.0, of course you can use current generation boards for the new CPU series if it is supported by the manufacturer.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/256547/asmedia-sourced-amd-b550-a520-chipset-motherboards-arrive-in-2020
    Of course you can still use a lot of boards with the 470, 370, 450, 350 etc chipset.

Amaris likes this.
  11. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Santaman likes this.
  12. Santaman

:cardie: 64 core.. oelala! :biggrin: that is a beastie indeed.. :mallory:

13. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Random_Spock and Amaris like this.
  14. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow that's pretty messed up.

Amaris likes this.
  15. Santaman

Don't upgrade until M$ tells you it is good enough for their business users, if they say it is then it is probably safe to use, of course Win 10 home users will become yet again the beta testers for the whole thing.

Amaris likes this.
  16. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Sure, as a Windows 10 user I get to beta test buggy software that many people paid full retail price for, but on the plus side, every day is an adventure!

Gingerbread Demon and Santaman like this.
  17. Random_Spock

Yep. It's why I have a batch file in place to block it. As in, if something went really wrong with the update... I wouldn't be able to update any of the drivers that they'd want people to do... as in I'd need to get newer hardware to do so. My own laptop says I have the most up to date drivers on it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Santaman and Amaris like this.
  18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Not a bad idea. I mean, I do full backups every night because I'm a crazy person, but maybe a patch that blocks updates would be good, too.

Random_Spock likes this.
  19. Random_Spock

Yea I'll have to find it again. It was via Reddit. The person was nice enough to make it for people to use for free. I miss Windows 7... at least we had some control over what got updated.

Here ya go: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/8722yj/disable_automatic_updates_via_windows_update/

There might be some newer versions of it out there too, but this is the version I'm using.

Amaris likes this.
  20. Santaman

I guess I have a bit of a luxury position, I have all the programs etc that I need using Linux Mint, just one machine left with Windows so at some stage I will have to switch to Linux/steam OS or keep using Windows.

Amaris and Random_Spock like this.