General Computer Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Amaris, May 26, 2016.

1. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

@Gingerbread Demon I have two of those old IBM keyboards, yes, they're really nice to type on, they're easy to do maintenance on but you can hear people typing on them two blocks away.. :p

The PET was nice, also one of the first really useful computers out there.:mallory:

Amaris likes this.
  2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

It really was. I also put the Apple II up there as one of the first truly useful home computers. It was a powerhouse back in its day, and while I don't like the trajectory Apple ended up taking (more of a luxury electronic goods than a computer company), it was the first push by Apple, by Commodore, by IBM, and even Tandy (a leather company!) that lead to the explosion of home computing, and that colored so much of my childhood.

Santaman likes this.
  3. Santaman

First computer my brother and I bought was a Atari 260ST, it was quite nice but software was hard to find where I live so we bought a PC Speed card which would allow you to use it as a PC, it was a card with a NEC V 20 on it, we later traded that machine in for a Philips NMS 9100 PC with the stunning Seagate ST-225 20 MB harddrive and a VGA card, we still have this machine and later on I bought its brother, a Philips P 3105 which is actually the same machine, the NMS series was sold to businesses and the P series to non business customers.:D
    After that it all went quick, next one was a 80486 DX2 66 which we also still have..

As for Apple.. yeah.. they've become a fashion brand kinda..

Amaris likes this.
  4. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

The PET also crept into a bit of pop culture as background props in movies and TV shows, even Buck Rogers

Amaris likes this.
  5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

My 4 HDD docking bay came today. Storage space! UNLIMITED storage space! Mine is an evil laugh!

[​IMG]

Santaman likes this.
  6. Gingerbread Demon

Nice!!!!!! What brand?

Amaris likes this.
  7. Amaris

Amaris Guest

It's an Orico 4 bay HDD dock. It has 5 Gbps transfer speed, which is more than fast enough to handle my backup and storage needs. I now have a grand total of 20 TB of storage.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  8. Gingerbread Demon

video from last year about the Apple Mac Mini.

So you can't just chuck in a new SSD thanks Apple.

9. Santaman

^^ Like I said, it's a fashion brand.. no need for self repairing or upgrading, want higher specs? Pay a higher (and even more ridicilous) price.

Amaris likes this.
  10. Gingerbread Demon

It is very much a fashion brand, and you buy machines with lower specs then current PCs at three times the price too, because they look cool.

Amaris likes this.
  11. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

How do you define lower specs?

the M2 processors being used in the new macs have great performance at a very low power consumption.

Suggest you keep digging through those LTT youtube videos (without posting the old ones that tell us nothing new) where they look at the performance, price and just why people buy Macs (I'll give you a hint, people often buy Macs for a particular job and they are brilliant at the job).

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Layout and Publishing? That's one thing I've known them to do really well. The print industry practically lives on them.

13. Marc

Exactly - probably video editting and audio as well (remembering that some of the applications in those areas started off on Mac and move to PC and where the ported versions aren't quite as stable).

14. Owain Taggart

Oh yeah, forgot the video editing. Even when I actually ended up getting a Macbook due to video editing I was doing at the time. That's one area they really excelled at. And one of my classes in college was desktop publishing, and we learned on Macs using QuarkExpress. At one time they absolutely dominated the industry, though I'm not sure how much of that is still true these days. But it used to be if you wanted to get ahead in either of them, you had to use a Mac.

I still do Desktop publishing from time to time, though I use Scribus now. Good piece of open-source software.

15. Marc

Never been that big into the application side on the Mac but that name rings a bell.

It's still around and has been ported to Windows with the most recent release being last November.

16. Owain Taggart

Heh, I was actually wondering if they were still around when I wrote that. They are an example of a company that built itself up on Macs, and I think Adobe is another.

17. Santaman

So, my Sempron 145 isn't really up to scratch anymore when it come to modern OS's (single core sadness..) so I've installed XP on the machine, of course you need to get all the drivers, I always get them from the manufacturers site first and then I usually go hunting for updates to those, I always use snapshot after the machine is freshly installed, after that I install drivers etc, tried the most recent ones I could find and that messed up the machine.. so wtf.. put back the image and then installed the drivers from the manufacturers site, these were all from 2011-2013 or about that and the machine works flawlessly on those... so the latest versions aren't always the best solution even on a simple machine like that.. :)

18. Gingerbread Demon

I shall just leave this interesting video here.

19. Owain Taggart

This just happened to me a few minutes ago:

5-Min PC Diagnosis: My Dad was working at his computer when the monitor simply went blank. I went to look and we went through some possible things to try. Then I look at his monitor and notice no lights. I tell him it might be power related. He takes a look at the power cable, and looky, it's loose! Push it back in and BAM! Picture is back. :D Only wish things were always so simple!

Santaman likes this.
  20. Gingerbread Demon

But that can be so annoying when it's something as basic as "cable is loose"