General Computer Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Amaris, May 26, 2016.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Does anyone have experience with Seagate drive products? I'm hoping to get a new laptop this week and I got a backup slim drive a couple of years ago as a Christmas gift. I've never really used it before now.

I don't have any trouble connecting and disconnecting the drive with USB, but when I try to do anything with the drive I get an error message from the "start here" option. It apparently tries to register the product but then says it can't connect to the registration server (which I did in my browser with no issue).

Any advice on how to get around this problem so I can actually copy stuff to the drive?

2. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like that there's some software on the drive that is autostarted when you plug it in, solution is to format the thing and completely erase what is on there, to be sure open drive management and see if there are other partitions, if so, remove everything, create one big partition and format it, that should solve it.

3. Unicron

It's not so much an autostart, as trying to use the start links provided doesn't seem to work. I don't know how to do the formatting you're describing. :lol:

4. Santaman

*shakes cane* Damn Apple user! :p;)

Eh, dunno, try and search for partitioning and formatting drives on Apple..?

I have no clue, I don't have a Apple machine..

5. Unicron

:lol:

I might have found something that will work. It just seems like extra trouble, IMO. :p

* shakes cane as an old fart * :D

ETA: I think I solved the problem, more or less.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  6. Santaman

^^ I hope it works. :mallory:

7. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

What system were you using the drive on?
    If you are on Windows diskpart is very easy to use and can fix that drive up quick smart.

Just use that to wipe the partitions off the drive and then go into disk management and format the drive as brand new.

8. Unicron

I was using it on my MacBook Pro, and I think the problem was that the drive was formatted for Windows system as the default even though it's meant to be compatible with either system. I was able to format it properly and backed up my system. :)

9. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Their idea of compatible probably means you can plug in into an Apple computer and it will work not that it's the correct file enabled.

I have seen external USB drives targeted directly at Mac users but that was an excuse to charge people more cos it came formatted for AFS and in white rather than black case.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  10. Unicron

Yeah, you might be right. :lol:

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Filling in on a bit of business since the mod is not online.

Publius, you have been given numerous verbal admonitions about dropping these linkstorms with little or no content or thought of your own provided, so you have received a warning for spamming. Comments to PM.

12. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Just a few benchmarks to compare M1/M2 to AMD's Ryzen (Intel's 12900K and others' statistics are also available in most sites...), I'm skeptical of bar setting for now...

https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/apple-m1-vs-amd-ryzen-9-5950x
    https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compa...//versus.com/en/amd-ryzen-9-5950x-vs-apple-m1
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/M2-vs-R9-5950X_14521_12787.247596.0.html
    https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-amd_ryzen_9_5950x-vs-apple_m2
    https://versus.com/en/amd-ryzen-9-5950x-vs-apple-m2
    https://planetside.co.uk/terragen-4-benchmark-results/
    A couple years old but still interesting: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...op-Workstation-for-Adobe-Creative-Cloud-1975/
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/apples-m2-benchmarked-mediocre-cpu-meets-impressive-gpu

etc

Impressive in some eras, less so than in others. Especially when multiple cores are involved, everyone who doesn't have "Ryzen" in their title needs to hurry, since there are newer AMD models that wipe the floor with their older ones...

Once Adobe Apps are more finely-tuned for Apple's new CPU line, will the performance really shoot up beyond the comparable PC's? Or come close? Depends on functionality and need...

SoC is interesting; more efficiencies in some ways but if one element goes out you have to throw away the entire board - while that is also inevitable on modular desktop systems, it's easier to swap out a failing SSD, video card, or RAM module (assuming those don't get integrated into the SoC too) - of which each costs a lot less than to chuck out the entire system in one go.

Looking up discussions on well-known hardware forums yields an even more interesting picture. Again, robust in some areas, less so in others. Invariably there are trade-offs... On top of hardware, it takes a while to optimize software for each chipset out there... Considering Apple is also more closed-source, until it opens up its CPU designs the way Intel and AMD did for their clones (heck, even Intel licensed AMD's 64-bit features for the consumer desktop line...) The reduced power usage will pique the interest, but with all the other factors involved... There's a long way to go either which way. And between now and then, there's no clear winner.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    Hedbergian likes this.
  13. Unicron

I finally replaced my Mac with a more modern Air. Now I just to relearn a few things to feel less old. :lol:

14. Santaman

^^ Congrats old fart! :rommie::p;)

Unicron likes this.
  15. Gingerbread Demon

I love these retro videos

publiusr likes this.
  16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Last couple Seagates I've had failed. They are not the gold standard anymore. Samsung and Toshiba have been reliable. Samsung esp for SSD's (sata and nVme).

17. Gingerbread Demon

Failed how?

For more quirky fun LGR has a series on weird designs. Some of these are interesting

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    publiusr likes this.
  18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The one in the shape of the Refit is the only recent one that stands out.

19. Gingerbread Demon

Which one was that? I liked the media centre one that people thought was a bomb, I just like the shape and look.

publiusr likes this.
  20. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

seagate have been shit for quite some years now. Some brands have bad batches (hello IBM deathstar) but seagate have never really seem to have recovered.

That said I do have a 4TB one that I use for offsite backup of my media collection.

Never had experience with Samsung spinning though I've just gotten an EVO SSD. Probably get a couple of more over the next 6 months, got a couple of SSDs that are very high wear (one's at 43%) that I'll swap out.

Toshiba give me shudders. Years ago had a client that liked sony vaios which used toshiba drives in RAID-0 config and they'd always break.

Have at 4TB HGST 7200rpm (pre-WD buyout) that's just ticking along nicely.

Crucial has range of the SSDs (can't remember it was the BX or MX) that were solid reliable performers but not the fastest drives their quality has taken a dive recently.