General Computer Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Amaris, May 26, 2016.

1. Josh Kelton

Josh Kelton Commander Red Shirt

They seem close to moving fully to Wayland now. And can then probably get rid of a lot of the X11 code. Hopefully by the time they release Plasma 6.
    https://pointieststick.com/2021/09/03/this-week-in-kde-gazillions-of-bugfixes/

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Oh, absolutely, but for some reason Mint is easier for me to navigate. Not a single issue since I've got things running. If anything, Manjaro prepared me, I guess. I think it's more about comfort, too. Mint is a little older, a little more stable, and that's what I need. Good luck with Arch! Manjaro is Arch with a safety net from what I've read.

That said, I can upgrade the kernel if I want, it's easy enough in Mint, but right now I'm a "it's working without a single hiccup, DON'T TOUCH IT" Linux user. :D

Shaytan and Santaman like this.
  3. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I've messed with PPA's a while ago, that was when my Ryzen 2200G wasn't really supported yet, the on chip graphics card couldn't be used at first and LTS kernel support was slow to adapt and buggy, so you needed the oibaf graphics driver PPA, that one added bleeding edge graphics card drivers, did work okay but one of those updates wrecked my Mint install so badly that nothing worked anymore, luckily that CPU is now doing fine with the current LTS kernels.

Amaris likes this.
  4. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yep. My current hardware works without issue. The games I play run without issue. The Kernel's an older one (though it updated to 5.4.0-84 yesterday), but it's rock solid stable. I need dependability more than anything else. The only PPA I've had to install is for my Canon TS3522 printer. Otherwise, everything has been easily installed from the software manager, or via .deb packages.

Edit: Oh, and I finally settled on how Cinnamon looks.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2021
  5. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I like that. Looks like something out of Firewatch.

Amaris likes this.
  6. Amaris

Amaris Guest

7. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Amaris likes this.
  8. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I loved it. Aside from the gorgeous visuals, the story was really good, too: suspense, romance (ish), comedy, tragedy, all nicely packaged. I've been waiting for Campo Santo's next game, In The Valley of Gods, because it's set in Egypt, but it's still TBA, and I wishlisted that baby back in 2017. Hopefully we'll hear from them soon.

9. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

I tried it. It's faster but not ready so I guess it will take some time.

So this is your best distro :D
    Arch is fine if you know what you need and if you read the wiki.

I am already annoyed at KDE I might just nuke the install. I should never leave Gnome :lol:

Amaris likes this.
  10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

KDE is wonderful, but yeah, there are SO many options, and some things don't like to play well together. I settled on Cinnamon, because it's Gnome, but shinied up a bit and does a little more.

XCV330 likes this.
  11. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I got my new Colour Maximite 2 Gen 2 last week. .
    boots straight to basic, with ARM 800mhz cpu. It's having a computer from an alternate universe from the 90s. Having a blast with it. I haven't started coding for it yet but will get around to it. It's own BASIC, mmbasic is a variant on the old GWBASIC.

pretty good video on what this fun oddity is.

I like Cinnamon but I just seem to prefer MATE.

Amaris likes this.
  12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

MATE was nice. I tried it when I was trying to find an alternative DE that felt comfortable. It felt a bit too limited for me, as I have a workflow, and the ADHD screamed in my ear that this was not "optimal" so I switched. lol

Still, MATE is a nice, lightweight DE where things just integrate without any major issue.

XCV330 likes this.
  13. Santaman

I stick with Cinnamon or XFCE, I guess just because I am used to them.

Amaris likes this.
  14. Amaris

Amaris Guest

XFCE was so clean and lightweight! I almost stayed with it, but its customization options were too few. At the time I was still courting KDE. I would like to try Budgie one of these days, though. I mean, it's all academic, really. My system has more than enough power to handle the most densely laid out DE, but these ultralights can be super snappy and responsive, and that's pretty nice, too. Some people love the Spartan look. Others are more like "just look like a window and get out of the way already." :lol:

Santaman likes this.
  15. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
  16. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Speaking of hot keys was working an Acer laptop where the normal function keys didn't work - for example you had to hit FN+F4 to close a window for example.

Turns out the geniuses has a bios setting which defaulted to the alternative modes for the keys (F4 adjusting the screen brightness).

Santaman likes this.
  17. Santaman

Laptops are strange like that, my old Dell D-830 had its own set of Linux key and touchpad stuff etc you had to choose it when you installed it Linux on it, that was quite a few years ago, newer Linux versions do it automatically.

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Quick heads up for anyone using Express as their VPN:

ExpressVPN has just been purchased by Kape Technologies, the same company that had purchased PIA a couple of years ago. Now, apparently they recently changed their name to Kape, which is rarely a good thing in the tech industry. Their former name? Crossrider. Some of you might know who that is, but for those who don't, Crossrider used to make adware/malware software.

Kape buying Express VPN: https://www.reuters.com/technology/kape-technologies-buys-expressvpn-936-mln-2021-09-13/
    Kape/Crossrider buying PIA: https://archive.md/xyA9Z

If you have Express, I highly recommend moving away from them. I would suggest Mullvad, Surfshark, or NordVPN.

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    Colonel Midnight likes this.
  20. Santaman

Aw that's so sad, he was of course known for his work in the computer industry but he did much more than that.

publiusr likes this.