General Computer Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Amaris, May 26, 2016.

1. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not on stalkbook so I have no idea..

2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Furthers my belief that social media is welcome to disappear up it's own fundamental posterior orifice.

Santaman likes this.
  3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Are there are any good alternatives to canned air? I have an XPower air duster:
    https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airro...qid=1618861717&sprefix=xpower+,aps,242&sr=8-3

And it does an okay job, but it doesn't actually remove the dust that gets caked on (our apt is old, the carpet is really old so we have dust everywhere no matter how often I dust). The only thing that removes it well enough is canned air, but Jesus Christ, between the anti-huffing chemical they use in it, which you can still taste hours after spraying it, and the fact that it gets so expensive, and really isn't good for the environment, I was kind of hoping some of you had an alternative.

4. Santaman

A compressor with oil/water filter not set too high would be ideal.
    Otherwise the long and tedious way, disassemble and use a brush, I use this method mainly on fans, you can't blow dust and grime into the bearings this way.

Besides those methods canned air remains the best option.

BK613 and Amaris like this.
  5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

In that case, I need to start buying canned air in the gallon size.

6. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Amaris You might look into small air compressors designed for airbrushing.

Amaris and Santaman like this.
  7. Santaman

^^ That would work. :)

Not much computing news, had to replace a harddrive of a backup machine because it crashed, it was however 12 years old already and came from a business machine so it did have some milage on it already.

BK613 likes this.
  8. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I may have to because the long and tedious way, as @Santaman puts it, is not something I can really do because of time and space limitations.

BK613 likes this.
  9. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My Dads went the other day too. Not sure how old it was (20gig drive - fortunately all backed up) but I know we've got older ones still working (including a very old 40mb one, but that's a low use one for the Amiga.)

Amaris likes this.
  10. Santaman

The oldest still working drive I have is a 10MB, yes that is Megabyte, Seagate ST-412 MFM drive , it was built in 1981 and came with a IBM XT, I've got about 8 Seagate ST-225's and they all still work, no idea what my oldest IDE drive is but I think I've got a WD Caviar which is 85Mb or something the like.
    The most spectacular drive I have is a Seagate ST-4096 it is 5.25" full height and it is really heavy, the sounds it makes when it spins up are just mechanical music. :hugegrin:

For my backup machines I buy HDD's since they don't run often and they just need to store my data.

Amaris likes this.
  11. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Extremely rude how Turing's later formulations of the halting problem called me out by name specifically."

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I bet the pizzas brought lots of pizzazz!

StarCruiser likes this.
  13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The square cuts weren’t invited

14. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

The following error message started appearing on 2 of the 3 machines I maintain. I am using the backup option that is in control panel which till the last week had zero issues with doing backups.

Backup Failed To Get An Exclusive Lock on EFI System Partition.

I have 3 computers all with the latest version of Windows 10 and all are working fine except in the last week doing backups gives me this message on 2 of the 3 machines.

I have tried all of the suggestions I have found online but nothing has since seemed to resolve this. Was wondering if maybe another recent Windows update caused this behaviour.

15. Santaman

It is Windows 10.. it indeed might be a dodgy patch.. but remember YOU are the beta tester.. :biggrin:

16. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

or it could be the backup software that's being used (haven't been any updates for Win10 for a couple of weeks).

17. Gingerbread Demon

You both might be right.

Google did provide suggestions but none of them seemed to help, The default backup does work if you do it after a fresh boot. Seems something causing a hiccup with the EFI partition if you do backup after doing other things with the one machine I am having the issue with.

But have downloaded Veeam Agent For Windows and that works a treat.

18. Santaman

A friend gave me a few computer parts, a casing, a PSU that I can't use because it's a modular one and all the cables are missing, and DDR3 memory which is really useful..
    Cleaned the casing, it's a Bitfenix case, it seems to be an older model Comrade, used it for my Ryzen 2200G machine, intake fan of that casing is shot so I removed it, I mounted a new exhaust fan at the back which is enough for that machine.
    Cable management was really nice, enough room behind the side panel and a U shaped channel in the motherboard tray which can hold the PSU main cable which is really useful.
    I now have an empty Medion casing, it is ancient, used to house a Petium 4 2.66Ghz, I've got a really nice old Socket 939 system that would fit in there..

publiusr likes this.
  19. Gingerbread Demon

That modular PSU might be good for parts harvesting if you're into that kind of thing.

I just got given a Sangean shortwave radio for that purpose, it kind of works FM and SW are dead but AM works, I used to own the exact same radio under the Realistic brand it was a DX 440, the one I have here is a Sangean ATS 803a.

20. Santaman

That PSU is 12 years old so I would first need to replace all capacitors and check if everything else is still okay if I would want to use it again.
    I fitted the socket 939 machine into that old casing, it's an old Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester core machine with 3GB RAM so not too bad.:cool: