General Computer Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Amaris, May 26, 2016.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

2. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ tihihihi yeah.. nice story.

3. BK613

BK613 Commodore Commodore

Wow, I know they've being dying for years but Frys just closed down. Everything,
    http://frys.com/
    I've DIY'd a bunch of PCs using parts bought at their stores and though their customer service wasn't always great I still have good memories associated with them
    RIP.

4. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep - we have (had) three locations in Houston and they have all been slowly shriveling up over the last 10 years or so...

It's a real shame as Fry's had been a Mecca for those of us into computers and audio/video equipment.

BK613 likes this.
  5. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

We used to have quite a few hardware stores here, like everywhere else they have mostly disappeared.
    Those were fun days, really shop for a mainboard, have discussions with the staff about things, pity that all has gone.

StarCruiser likes this.
  6. Kraig

Kraig Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's why I didn't get my normal early morning email. They usually send me two a day. The last one I got was yesterday afternoon about "e-ridables, robotics & toys." It says that the sale is good "02.22.21-02-28-21."

I've made a few purchases over the years from Fry's using the internet and shipped to home. The nearest store to me was 80 miles away in San Jose. Never went to the physical store, too much traffic between here and there. I'll miss them.

7. BK613

BK613 Commodore Commodore

@Kraig I'll miss them too. No brick and mortar will ever match the sheer volume and variety ever again. Heck, most online sites can't. Fond memories of the fading PC era...

StarCruiser likes this.
  8. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon Admiral Premium Member

I built a second NUC but this one seems a bit borked, the microphone array just won't work regardless of what I try including suggestions online. It's not bothering me so much as it worked during setup as I used voice commands during install of windows but now the microphones are dead though windows says they are on.

Intel NUC8I5BEH

My setup has 16gig ram and m.2 drive.