General Computer Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Amaris, May 26, 2016.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I used to use Firefox as my main browser, but it's been years. Since I got MacBooks I've been comfortable with Safari. :D

think likes this.
  2. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I love the advertising we are getting here for chromebooks.
    "Why can't your computer be like your phone"

What does a chromebook do that a tablet can't do?

3. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Spy even more on you? :biggrin:

Gingerbread Demon and sevenstars like this.
  4. Gingerbread Demon

Yep and store your files on its servers. Win win.

I get the idea of chromebooks just not the execution...... If you are going to do that why not just get a large screen tablet and keyboard?

5. think

think About it! Premium Member

what is happening with this chrome problems..

chrome browser is like not loading sites .. they are--- Hacked? or what I had to circumvent the link to the net and use zoom directly tonite -- I opened zoom and put the numbers in.. the link said not secure and and would not load the link.. IDK. now two other links like imgur.com is dead for me.. IDK. just my macbook pro will not load anything from imgur.com. or other sites as well .. I will try on my desktop win10 we will see.--

HELP?

6. think

yeah this is a macbook pro problem. happening probably with my internet protection software? no updates needed or happening .. now.. I am going to kaspersky to see.. they have my macbook protected form these sites --- word. I guess I can report back the win10 has no issues with any site my macbook pro is not even showing imgur.com images here in the forum-- :(

so by turning off my internet protection It all comes back everything that did not load.. I have contacted Kaspersky about this.. --- I had to actually turn off the program to fill out the contact sheet to contact them :wtf: right just like them and just yesterday these sites and stuff worked with the program on. ---

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  7. Gingerbread Demon

Today all of a sudden every single steam game I own has decided to hard crash after the main title screen.... Drivers are up to date, steam is up to date. Unless it's a hardware issue like a failing power supply I'm not quite sure where to go.

Oh and it's not just a crash the system reboots but then the video card doesn't put any output on screen you have to physically turn the system off and reboot.

8. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

It sounds like a problem with the root certificates that are installed on your machine being out of date, corrupted, or not accessible, but that's just a guess. I tried Kaspersky once and had so many problems with it that I asked for my money back.

think likes this.
  9. Gingerbread Demon

I think after all the messing around today it might well be my GPU that is at fault. It is just shy of 5 years old so yeah might not be the power supply causing the issues I mentioned. But since it's almost a new machine I am getting a new PSU and might shell out for a new graphics card at the same time.

think likes this.
  10. think

mmmmmm so I complained about it and nothing back --- but it works today. no problem at all--- it had always worked on win10--- if I was a serious nerd I be like why did that happen 000 but me I am just glad it works again.--- :)

11. Santaman

Hmm that does sound like either driver problems or indeed your card is on the way out.

12. Gingerbread Demon

It's been a bit glitchy the last couple of months.. Nothing major till the day I did that post. So I think new GPU might be the way to go. This one is just shy of 5 years old.

13. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Perhaps a bug in an insufficiently tested update that they silently corrected? Anyway, this old forum thread might offer some insight. However, if it's now working, it's probably not worth investing the time chasing it up.

think likes this.
  14. think

yeah the certificate problem ---

it is solved easily I hope? but I am not worried about this problem anymore--

15. Gingerbread Demon

Fanless passive power supply or conventional fan supported power supply?
    Any pros and cons?

16. Santaman

You'll have to dig out reviews of the specific powersuplies you're interested in and see if one fits the bill, usually fanless needs a case with good airflow.

17. Gingerbread Demon

I've done the reviews and all that just I wanted to see what others think. I am going to stick with something with a fan inside, I just wanted people's opinions.

My current GPU Radeon R9 380 4gig was purchased in December 2015 I've examined the card but can't find any physical defect like blown capacitors or components so for the life of me can't work out why I am having the specific problem I was having. This current build of my system has been a money sink this year. Have ordered a brand new power supply and graphics card and will see if I still have the same issue and if I do I'm at a loss as to why my system is doing what it is doing.

I feel 50/50 that it's a failing GPU because the system only crashes when I load up a game like say Borderlands 2 or Alien Isolation, or Shadow Of The Tomb Raider, anything slightly demanding they get past the title screens then the system crashes and boots with no signal in the monitor cable and the fans all running full speed. Turning it off fully and back on restored it to desktop, so it was either the graphics card or the power supply and today I felt sure it was the latter because the graphics card doesn't seem to look like anything has gone bad visually. Anyway new parts we will see how I go and if it still fails I'll take it to a pro.

18. Santaman

You usually can't see any damage to a graphics card, I've got a GTX 780 which externally looks fine but still it is dead as a mutton.

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, my previous card started to have problems and it would be fine until I started taxing it. So, before I was able to get a new one, I ended up playing lots of older games that pushed it less. Failing cards are difficult to troubleshoot because the issue itself isn't always easy to pinpoint and they don't always show up as graphical errors.

20. Santaman

Mine did the: once in a while black screen-no-signal then more black screens and then a big ass stop error, reboot and no input, the only card that I had at that time as a reserve was a Geforce 315 OEM card, aka a GT 220 at a lower clockspeed.. also about three times smaller than the GTX 780..