General Computer Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Amaris, May 26, 2016.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I need some advice, because I feel like an old fart. :p :lol: I recently updated to a Google Pixel 3A XL, and I'm in the process of learning some of the modern features. I want to set a custom ringtone and I've seen some suggestions on how to do this, but I admit I'm finding things rather confusing. I have an app called MyFiles which I've heard is very good for that sort of thing, managing custom files and so forth, but I don't know how to get the file I want there from YouTube. I have a copy of the file on my laptop, but it's a 2015 MacBook and I'm not yet clear on whether the Pixel would need different hardware for the USB connections. I can't see any way of connecting them unless I'm missing something, as the Thunderbolt ports don't seem compatible with the cable that the Pixel has.

Perhaps I'm overthinking things a bit, but I'd welcome any advice. * shakes cane * :D

2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

okay grab a program called Clipgrab (available for Windows, OS X and Linux). past the youtube link and then save the file as MP3 audio.

Plug your phone into your Macbook and hopefully it will appear as just another drive (just connect via USB - cell phones don't support Thunderbolt.) Copy the mp3 file into the music folder. Then go into an set the custom ring tone. Android should hopefully pickup the file from the music folder and present in the list. Select file and bob's your uncle.

If you want to allocate a ringtone for a specific contact, you do this by editting the actual contact (when in the edit screen you might have to click the option to show additional fields).

3. Unicron

Problem is, I don't know if I need separate hardware for that. My Google phone cable has USB connectors that are only half the size of my MB's USB ports. I'm guessing the best option would be to buy an adapter that would bridge the two, as my older phone did have a cable that had the right USB size. I already have a program designed to migrate data between the computer and the phone, I just can't transfer it yet apparently.

Hmmmm.... I do have a connector that would fit the larger USB for a flash drive though, and that would port to the phone. Perhaps that would be the best option? Thanks for the advice, naturally. :)

4. Marc

Okay yes you might need a different cable. the Pixel 3 has a USB-C connector at the phone end. Usually the cable that comes with them will have the USB-C connection at one end and the older rectangular USB-A connector that would go into the PC/Mac/charger (I've just gotten a Huawei P30lite and the cable has USB-C at one end and USB-A at the other and I just plug it in).

That said is it the Macbook or MacBook Pro? Having a look at the specs the former only has a USB-C port so you're going to need as USB-C to USB-C cable (can get from Amazon for under $US10).

Usually a device has USB-C and USB-A (USB 2.0 and 3.x) ports as well as USB-C (my wife's laptop does) except when you start getting into the really slim units such as the MacBook and Air.

5. Unicron

It's a MB Pro I believe. I think it uses the USB-A design, though I might be wrong. Whatever the larger input socket is... :lol: I've seen some flash drives that have both sizes, though the feedback on specific models seems pretty mixed. That's another option I might look into, so I could easily transfer stuff between phone and laptop.

I would be open to suggestions of how to get the file as I want it on the phone. I saw one link suggesting there's a way to do that, but I couldn't seem to find it in the menu from YT.

6. Marc

Okay it would be the USB-A then.

what happens when you plug the phone into to the MacBook? On the phone it should given you the prompt as to whether the you want to charge/transfer files/transfer photos.

The Mac might present as a drive so you can install some software or you can find at https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ then follow the instructions https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/copy-files-android-to-mac

I find that following YT for some of these things is a major pain in the podex.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Set up a network.

You can then move files through the air magically without cables from any computer to any other computer in your network.

You can also watch movies from your laptap, on your phone, on the toilet.

8. Marc

Why make the process more complex?

KISS for the win.

9. Unicron

It can't be plugged in that way, that's what I'm saying. The only physical connection possible is the cable and the ports are not compatible atm, without having to buy a peripheral to fit the ports correctly (or at least that's what I'mcurrently assuming, based on the design). If there's a way to share the files wirelessly via our wifi, that would also be ideal. I'm not how to do such an option though.

But right now there's no way I can see for the two devices to communicate with a physical connection. The design of my old phone cable would be ideal because it has both port sizes, but I'm betting it's not compatible with the Pixel because it's a much older model. I might be wrong on that, but I don't want to unwittingly screw something up. :D

10. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

USB is usually backwards compatible so you could try it.

11. Marc

I'm stumped as to how the cables can't connect it's all industry standard stuff.

Easiest way to transfer the files is probably via bluetooth though it's not as quick as wifi but when you're just doing small mp3 files that shouldn't matter too much.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-files-android-mac-os-x-bluetooth-file-exchange/

12. Guy Gardener

The new replacement for micro usb are a different shaped plug.

I learnt this when I got a new phone.

13. Marc

yes it's know as USB-C as I mentioned above.

Asbo Zaprudder and Guy Gardener like this.
  14. Guy Gardener

A friend of mine can't work out the cables and can't construct a network, so I told him to use mega.co.nz to transfer files between his computers. Later, I bought him a usb on the go adapter for Christmas and he's fine now.

15. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Unlike previous USB connectors, it doesn't matter which way up you plug USB-C in, which dispenses of the think you've got the orientation wrong the first try, actually get it wrong the second try, and finally succeed on the third try problem. Of course, it also creates a new market for adapters and hubs that cater for USB-C.

16. Marc

yes some have asked if we really needed a new connector because it just adds to the myriad of USB connections already out there.

On the other hand the USB-C standard does additional useful features.

17. Santaman

Currently resurrecting a mainboard, a socket 775 micro ATX board, this one has an odd mix of capacitors, mostly it has Rubycon caps, these are excelent, one Teapo cap probably because they just ran out of Rubys at that stage and some SamYoung caps and these bastards are a capacitor plague item, the board has 4 of them and they all burst and leaked electrolyte, at work we have soldering/desoldering equipment so those pests have been removed, will buy new caps and repair the board that way, yes it is old, yes it is obsolete but it has not been used much, in the 10 years that I had it it might have been switched on a few times a year only because it was a test and backup machine and the board always was rock solid and pretty high quality.

XCV330 and think like this.
  18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

think likes this.
  19. think

think About it! Premium Member

mmm IDK about these Cyberdecks they were good for the cyber cowboys in cyberpunk land but ... maybe just email me that email after the world ends --- cause I am not going to be looking food and shelter but yeah that email about the end of the world I have to be ready for.. ---I think not practical unless you are at war with the guy in the cubicle down the hall == hehe.
    so have you heard that .. mac supports windows ? yep.

78731206_1914523018691880_2245724264617476096_n.jpg

20. Santaman

Obtained new capacitors, hope they'll fit, they've got a larger diameter than the old ones.