Spoilers Game Of Thrones’ Spinoff ‘House Of The Dragons’ ordered to series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reusing the Game of Thrones theme song is just emblematic of the entire project: Plots, characters, and themes that are just recycled versions of what was done before, borne out of a desire to flog a dead horse instead of doing something new.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  2. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Speaking as someone who is familiar with "Fire & Blood" . . . I don't believe "House of the Dragon" will be a recycle of Martin's original saga. It's more like "Succession" in Westeros. Unless HBO makes the mistake of making it more like the 2011-2019 series.

StarMan likes this.
  3. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Hightower is reminding me of Littlefinger.

4. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Sir, this is a Star Trek forum. If any group of people are going to have a ridiculously high tolerance for dead horse flogging, it's Trekkies.

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Flogging a dead horse instead of doing something new is what all but killed Star Trek in 2005.

Richard S. Ta and fireproof78 like this.
  6. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I kind of like the intro. I imagine I'll like it better when I can recognize the House sigils a bit more.

I'm liking where this show is going. It has a slightly different feel to it than GoT while still keeping in that same world. I am kind of sad we're going to leave some of the actors and actresses when they do a time jump this season though.

Commander Troi likes this.
  7. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I know enough about what's coming from wiki-diving to feel like it'll be different enough as it develops to be its own thing.

8. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I did some reading into where the show is likely heading and found some things that have me worried given my specific issues with Game of Thrones, but not watching this as it airs should hopefully provide enough of a warning system that if things go in a direction I'm not going to be happy with, I can just avoid it entirely.

9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really.

Booji likes this.
  10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

The one I was really expecting to hear repeated, particularly in light of the show's character focus, is "Every time a new Targaryen is born, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land." With the possible exception of Daemon, all the Targs we've seen so far are relatively stable. And even Daemon isn't completely batshit crazy, either, like Aerys (the "Mad King") was. He's methodical, plotting, highly intelligent and dangerous. No real wackadoodle going on like I would have expected.

11. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

One of the interesting things about GoT is that it shows the men as equally being mostly breeders for the powerful.
    dJE

12. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've always thought that was a load of nonsense, considering Daenerys had spent a great deal of time worrying whether she would turn out like her father. It's why I didn't find her sudden turn to madness unconvincing. Yet, we had Arya Stark, who slowly developed into a serial killer. While perusing the "A Song of Ice and Fire" website, I discovered that a good number of noble families had occasionally engaged in interbreeding . . . including the Starks.

Sci and 137th Gebirg like this.
  13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Miguel Sapochnik is leaving the show but it appears to be a planned departure:

“Working within the Thrones universe for the past few years has been an honor and a privilege, especially spending the last two with the amazing cast and crew of House of the Dragon,” Sapochnik said in a statement. “I am so proud of what we accomplished with season one and overjoyed by the enthusiastic reaction of our viewers. It was incredibly tough to decide to move on, but I know that it is the right choice for me, personally and professionally. As I do so, though, I am deeply comforted to know that Alan will be joining the series. He’s someone I’ve known and respected for a long time, and I believe this precious series could not be in safer hands. I am so glad to remain a part of the HBO and House of the Dragon family and, of course, I wish Ryan and his team success and all the best with season two and beyond.”​

14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Daemon is so far a pretty lame villain. For all his posturing he comes across as weak against almost every other character. I haven't read where the series is going though.
    2 episodes in and I'm hoping for something more, some twist, pull the trigger moment.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  15. Tuskin38

Just to note, the actor who plays Rhaenyra (Emma D’arcy) is non-binary and uses they/them pronouns for future reference when referring to the actor directly.

16. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

One annoying thing about having a show about the Targaryens is the names and looks are so alike.
    I couldn't figure out who this character was for ages even after googling until I realized there is a mid season actor swap.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also, that’s not who is playing the character at the moment (Milly Alcock).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    Kai "the spy" and The Nth Doctor like this.
  18. Tuskin38

Well I have egg on my face

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Is it dragon egg?

20. Tuskin38

I just noticed, there's a lot of art depicting sex in the various bedrooms in the red keep.