Spoilers Game Of Thrones’ Spinoff ‘House Of The Dragons’ ordered to series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

variety.com

I'm glad that Miguel Sapochnik is directing. His episodes were great.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, having Miguel Sapochnik on board goes a long way in heightening my interest in this show.

3. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

^ Not only is he directing the pilot and several episodes, he's also co-show runner. This has raised this series up considerably on my radar.

So, broadcast some time in 2021?

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  4. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I bought the 'Blood & Fire' book but never got around to reading it. I thought it was just an expanded version of the Dance of Dragons short stories and didn't realize till skimming through it last night that it covers everything from Aegon's conquest on.

The new show has a ton to pull from. It would be cool if they spend a season or two in different time periods. I'm definitely looking forward to this.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

It’ll be interesting to see how it compares to GOT, the source material for which covers a relatively short period of time in immense detail. Whereas F&B deals with decades and centuries in a rather more broad brush approach, for understandable reasons. So I wonder will this be a generational-skipping epic, maybe covering a different ruler every season or so, or will it simply cover Aegon the conqueror and his immediate successors?

6. The Nth Doctor

Booji likes this.
  7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

All about who they hire to write.

8. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

I wonder if they literally reused Viserys's old wig for Matt Smith's character.

StarMan and Captaindemotion like this.
  9. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Wonder if this means I should read Fire and Blood. Is it series of stories? Or does it read more like a textbook?

10. Captaindemotion

It’s kind of like a history book rather than a novel but it’s very readable, if you’re into Westeros.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  11. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Matt Smith looks uncannily like a young Bill Nighy. My brain is confused. :)

The Nth Doctor and danellis like this.
  13. Captaindemotion

Those wigs basically make anyone look Targaryen. I’ve seen Harry Lloyd (Viserys in GOT) in a few things and he’s totally unrecognisable with short brown hair.

The Nth Doctor and saddestmoon like this.
  14. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now I understand George Washington and the wigs worn. They were just emulating the Targaryens.

15. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Is this going to be on HBO Max only, or does regular HBO have it too?

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

So wait, is this Aegon's conquest or the Dance of Dragons? Because 200 years has to mean Dance of Dragons, right?

Just to echo what I'm sure is a common sentiment: my interest is lukewarm at best. The last few seasons of GoT really killed my interest in the franchise as a whole. Indeed, despite over 18 months in lockdown, I've felt zero compulsion to rewatch the show; not even the good seasons, and I've seen little evidence that this is an uncommon attitude.

17. The Nth Doctor

I don't know that history too well, but if it's set 200 years before The Song of Ice and Fire, then it can't be Aegon's Conquest. Don't know when the Dance of Dragons was but that sounds about right.

I'm interested for Matt Smith and some of the other cast members. Plus I'm big fan of dragons just in general. So while I can't say I'm super excited for it (again, I don't know much about the history), I'm willing to give it a go with an open mind.

18. Captaindemotion

Yes, seems to be DOD-era. It has been a while since I read Fire and Blood, and the fact that the Targs keep using the same names down the generations doesn’t help. But as far as I remember, the names listed here tally with the players involved in that particular family feud.
    https://www.hbo.com/house-of-the-dragon
    I get people’s weariness (and wariness) with Westeros after the GOT ending, but this is from new show runners and writers, Benioff and Weiss are out of the picture. And unlike with GOT, they have a definite ending of the story to work from (though they may of course depart from it). I loved Fire and Blood and am hoping this will do it justice.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Matt Smith as a Targaryen. Dunno, but he kind of sticks out IMHO.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't say I'm excited about this, either, but I am curious, mostly because Matt Smith is involved and neither of D&D are.