Funny, odd, amazing things in the ST Comics

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by NCC-73515, Mar 26, 2022.

1. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Tosk: I deliberately instructed Pete Pachoumis in the script (and in conversation) to follow the Generations lead in mixing and matching the uniforms, mainly to make it clear that that was when it took place -- between "All Good Things..." and the movie.

Therin of Andor, Tosk and TheAlmanac like this.
  2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the art in N-Vector, too. Toby Cypress' work reminded me of Ted McKeever's, and I like McKeever's work. :)

I noticed that right away when flipping through issues of Starfleet Academy a few weeks ago. And the thought in the back of my head was, "Wait, these uniforms have layers to them; how they hell are they hugging the women's curves like that?" :lol:

Therin of Andor and Tosk like this.
  3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

There was one (I forget which) where someone had their uniform torn open in several places and I don't think there was even a hint of an extra layer. '90s Trek only wishes they could get a catsuit to do that. :rommie:

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm just left scratching my head is why they are using SCUBA gear...

5. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    The story is different from the game: Here, the training simulation confronts Munro with his crew getting assimilated. The Borg are scavenging the ship after it arrives, Foster gets captured on Voyager, and they later fight the end boss Tarlus together. In the game, the training simulation captures the crew, but it ends when Munro shoots a console instead of disabling it. A group of aliens scavenges the ship, and a long set of missions in on their base, a combination of Klingon, Hirogen, Malon, and Terran ships. My favorite mission is on the Etherean ship, and they look similar to the aliens Equinox killed and could be the same guys. We also have to defend Voyager from a harvester invasion, and go to a Borg cube, rescue Foster or let him be assimilated, which leads to differences in the story, and fight 8472. All that is not in the comic, but the last mission to the Forge is. The game however adds the Vorsoth as a bigger, uglier end boss.

[​IMG]
    When I saw the cover (bottom right), I thought this is gonna be way too silly for me. But it's wonderful, like a much better version of Muse (VOY). The Doctor is stranded on a medieval world and tells a young guy about his life in a form he understands.

[​IMG]
    I just love these tentacle aliens!

[​IMG]
    Relativity shows up, and the Ambassador class Excalibur has a Sovereign class warp core :D

[​IMG]
    This blew me away - a picture of Heidelberg, a city I lived in for several years, appears in the NV comic!

[​IMG]
    The Borg wanna assimilate the Horta - like this very much do I :D
    I've read a lot of kaff and koff in these comics, how did those words evolve from cough? Do they typically appear in comics?

[​IMG]
    A prequel to Far Beyond the Stars!

[​IMG]
    A coda to Generations with the other TOS heroes that are still around (and not on Romulus)

[​IMG]
    And finally, a sequel to The Host

F. King Daniel likes this.
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They're a letter shorter than "cough," so they take up less room in the balloon. Also they're more clearly the sound effect of someone coughing rather than speaking the word "cough."

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Some major confusion about the orientation of the Bird of Prey. Upside down, then half upside down, then not upside down. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    F. King Daniel likes this.
  8. Disposable_Ensign

Disposable_Ensign Commander Red Shirt

What script was this adapted from?

9. Christopher

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.

10. Disposable_Ensign

Disposable_Ensign Commander Red Shirt

Of course. I feel stupid. I hadn't looked past the credits and the image of the BoP.

11. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's with Valkris' Vulco-Romuloid pointed ears? :vulcan: And the previous page of the comic shows the front of her face and her forehead doesn't look bumpy at all. It also shows Valkris wearing a mask/veil thing that only reveals her eyes, before showing her face. That piece was designed for the movie but it didn't quite make it into the final cut, at least not in full view. If you look closely at the scene in which she first appears, she does appear to be wearing it as it covers her plunging neckline when she walks up behind the freighter captain and her head is out of the shot, but then in the very next shot it's completely gone.

Kor

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  12. Christopher

At a guess, maybe it's a holdover from an earlier draft of the script when the bad guys were Romulans instead of Klingons. Maybe Sutton was working from a draft that overlooked the Valkris scene when making the change.

Anyway, depicting Valkris as Vulcanoid is kind of prophetic, given that we'd later see a Vulcan woman named Valeris.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they missed her 'subtle' bumps in whatever photo-ref they had to work from (often times poorly reproduced black and white images). The complicated necklace also got rejiggered.

This is the image of her in the back of the comic.
    [​IMG]
    (I'm not saying that this was the photo-ref they used, obviously not...but just an example.)

There's also this mutated Bird of Prey. :)
    [​IMG]

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I learned an interesting fact recently about that recently. The reason they went with a Mirror Universe Connie in the game was because someone else was already using the licence for Prime TOS stuff in their game, so they had to compromise. That's according to one of the Devs. They were using it as a comparison to the Star Wars licence, where they were given a lot more freedom to do things compared to the Star Trek licence. The devs that made Elite Force were the same devs behind Jedi Outcast and Acadamy.

15. NCC-73515

Would've been odd to fight the good SF guys :D

16. Tuskin38

Well this was pre-production, maybe they weren't part of the scavengers then. He didn't go into too much detail.

17. NCC-73515

Such a great game thinking back on it...

Kor likes this.
  18. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have fond memories of downloading the mod with the TOS Enterprise, and doing multiplayer matches. You could explore engineering, the shuttle bay, the bridge, corridors, and more.

Kor

19. NCC-73515

Starbase something... it was amazing

Kor likes this.
  20. Tuskin38

You can buy it digitally now on GOG, comes with the expansion pack.
    There was Starbase 11, but the same author also created an addon called Virtual Dreadnought, which was a Virtual Voyager-like experience but on a Federation Class.
    http://lazrojas.com/elitefarce/mods/dreadnought/index.html