First look at Klingons in 'Star Trek: Discovery'?

Yes, but a thing making sense is not the same as a thing being true.

These hypotheses are for the most part simply that. What you've got here is a hypothesis that sounds reasonable and fits some observations and not others.

DOUBLE STANDARDS?

When you prove that a common theme with science fiction armor does not look like the spiked armor in the leaked photo, and that it falls under a common theme with medieval fantasy instead, fanatics argue that Star Trek is trying to be creative or original because the examples from the science fiction "gamut" do not run from "A to Z"—whatever that means. When you prove that it has more to do with "Spikes of Villainy" than originality, fanatics argue that Star Trek never claimed to be original. You can't have it both ways.

SPIKES OF VILLAINY: NOT THE FIRST TIME

6jqb8l.jpg

LOL! Yep. Must make sure the audience isn't confused. :)

What Star Trek did claim is to be science fiction and the spiked armor isn't it, making it a bad science fiction.

There are so many other things that makes Star Trek bad science fiction, spikey armor is low on my list of concerns for any science fiction product.

I'll not claim that Star Trek is trying to be "original" but that they are trying to create an interesting visual dynamic for a visual medium, realistic or not.

DOUBLE STANDARDS?

When you prove that a common theme with science fiction armor does not look like the spiked armor in the leaked photo, and that it falls under a common theme with medieval fantasy instead, fanatics argue that Star Trek is trying to be creative or original because the examples from the science fiction "gamut" do not run from "A to Z"—whatever that means.

It means (most) 'real' science fiction existed long before video game fanart came along.

And it could be fucking fabulous.

Case to point:

616876FB-EB29-49C2-8F21-D87782774860_zpswgvw7vru.jpg

B6F0C077-5BD9-45B3-9911-434C4C01B74C_zpsdeorpeo7.jpg

Oh Aura, how did I used to crush on thee...

There are so many other things that makes Star Trek bad science fiction, spikey armor is low on my list of concerns for any science fiction product.

I'll not claim that Star Trek is trying to be "original" but that they are trying to create an interesting visual dynamic for a visual medium, realistic or not.
I figure that the folks behind Discovery don't give a hoot whether or not fanbois get chafed because the armor on some alien is spiky, they want good ratings.

I figure that the folks behind Discovery don't give a hoot whether or not fanbois get chafed because the armor on some alien is spiky, they want good ratings.
I figure as much to. Again, making it interesting visually and this went through the process of being approved by multiple members of the production staff until the final design was signed off on. Then it goes through being manufactured as well.

Although it would be nice if the production team sat down with contemporary military armorers and asked them "What is the latest and greatest designs and tech? Would you try these on and tell us if they are practical?"

But, it doesn't work that way-at all. The costume designers build it, and the producers approve or redesign it. Practicality is primarily considered in terms of how easy it will be to manufactured for multiple extras or characters.

I would enjoy if at least once a season they did some kind of special nod to science, depicting something fantastical as realistically as possible, but they don't have to for me to enjoy it.

JWqpq1h.jpg

THis is the kind of stuff I hope we never see in Star Trek, things designed just for the purpose of looking cool, but which actually look infantile rather than alien - graphics designers who are mixed up about what is fantasy and what is science fiction allowing their ideas from Norse mythology or Christian demonology to seep into a work that is meant to be completely secular - the fantasy creep. We see this in games all the time, where something relatively hard sci-fi will be created, and then another team moves in and says "yo, wouldnt it be cool, if like, everything glowed and had millions of spikes, like a demon!!!!!".

Just look at Star Trek Online, and how Klingon demons have been introduced... :barf:

In fact, check out this article's headline, for the return of the Iconians in that awful game:

DWatYlA.jpg

@fireproof78 - you state that very confidently, but, correct me if I'm wrong - I don't remember anything of the like being presented as a part of the natural world - I remember things presented as an illusion crafted from the minds of the human crew - no more real or natural than the Excaliban facsimile of Abraham Lincoln - or the robot samurai that Sulu saw. I'm talking about graphic designers fresh out of collage opening their D&D monster manuals and thinking it would be cool to introduce Air Elementals purely based on their looking interesting, but not giving them a convincing origin. I'd like to keep that kind of thing away from Star Trek - it's fine in other stuff though.

It's space opera in a visual medium. It needs to look visually interesting, appealing, and "cool." Explanations and supposed plausibility can come later.

Otherwise all the ships would look like the the Discovery One from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Kor

Speaking of aesthetics, I was never a fan of how aerodynamically shaped the starships are. Since there is no resistance in space, it offers a much broader room for creativity. Like propulsion being located on one side, extended far away from the bridge part, or anything else that defies the logic of aerodynamic planes. Interesting concept for the Discovery from 2001: http://nick-stevens.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/discovery-bowl-ortho-34x-1200x775.jpg

In fact, check out this article's headline, for the return of the Iconians in that awful game:

DWatYlA.jpg

@fireproof78 - you state that very confidently, but, correct me if I'm wrong - I don't remember anything of the like being presented as a part of the natural world - I remember things presented as an illusion crafted from the minds of the human crew - no more real or natural than the Excaliban facsimile of Abraham Lincoln - or the robot samurai that Sulu saw. I'm talking about graphic designers fresh out of collage opening their D&D monster manuals and thinking it would be cool to introduce Air Elementals purely based on their looking interesting, but not giving them a convincing origin. I'd like to keep that kind of thing away from Star Trek - it's fine in other stuff though.
That's a fair point, though it could be interesting to explore some of the myths and their origins in other aliens species, i.e Apollo. The demon reference was a tongue-in-cheek comment about Spock's appearance being commented on in "The Omega Glory."

Speaking of aesthetics, I was never a fan of how aerodynamically shaped the starships are. Since there is no resistance in space, it offers a much broader room for creativity. Like propulsion being located on one side, extended far away from the bridge part, or anything else that defies the logic of aerodynamic planes. Interesting concept for the Discovery from 2001: http://nick-stevens.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/discovery-bowl-ortho-34x-1200x775.jpg
My main complaint about that is that the bridge is still front and center, and completely exposed to all manners of disasters.

JWqpq1h.jpg

THis is the kind of stuff I hope we never see in Star Trek, things designed just for the purpose of looking cool, but which actually look infantile rather than alien - graphics designers who are mixed up about what is fantasy and what is science fiction allowing their ideas from Norse mythology or Christian demonology to seep into a work that is meant to be completely secular - the fantasy creep. We see this in games all the time, where something relatively hard sci-fi will be created, and then another team moves in and says "yo, wouldnt it be cool, if like, everything glowed and had millions of spikes, like a demon!!!!!".

Just look at Star Trek Online, and how Klingon demons have been introduced... :barf:

If the CGI had been so good back then, that would've made a good looking rock-monster for STV.

Back