First look at Klingons in 'Star Trek: Discovery'?

Has anyone noticed yet that Klingons are extremely diverse ethnically--far more than human beings? Almost as much as Andorians?

Maybe the Hur'q put the Klingons of the time on different planets. Then later they reunited, but the differences were there for good.

Mass Effect and Halo? Try this from the real-life futuristic military concepts:

28auujk.jpg

TALOS: Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit by SOCOM.

10xznlk.jpg

3020v9y.jpg

All of these are from the real military research, not video games.

The TOS Klingon uniforms were ridiculous too: their vests were clearly meant to look like chain mail armor—again with the medieval fantasy theme, not futuristic or science fiction. Considering Star Trek's original pitch, it makes a bad science fiction. So what that Klingons are "aliens"? They are still portrayed as humanoids from an advanced warp-capable faction.

Here is what a few more people had to say about the spiked armor elsewhere:

2omega

Regardless of the context, those uniforms don’t make any sense for a spacefaring species. With those spikes, they’d pose more danger to each other than to an enemy.

Yes, I appreciate how similar the design is to those ship concept drawings leaked last year. But I’d suggest toning the “edge” down a bit.

Paul

I actually like the new make-up. Those armors, though…what the flying fudge is that? Leftovers from The Chronicles of Riddick? Hellraiser rejects? Designs deemed too mad for Mad Max? Come on. Yes, I realize they are aliens and they should be alien, but that doesn’t mean they should throw any design sensibilities out of the airlock.

Jeff

If these are Klingons, I’m not really fond of the costumes either. They don’t have a look of refined manufacturing skills which one might expect from a species capable of building star ships.​

Bingo! The quoted part from TV Tropes: Spikes of Villainy was spot on. :)

There were plenty of episodes of Nova from the mid 80s to early 90s that "predicted" future military gear based on concept design. Most of it totally missed the mark, so to speak.

Mass Effect and Halo? Try this from the real-life futuristic military concepts:

28auujk.jpg

TALOS: Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit by SOCOM.

10xznlk.jpg

3020v9y.jpg

All of these are from the real military research, not video games.

The TOS Klingon uniforms were ridiculous too: their vests were clearly meant to look like chain mail armor—again with the medieval fantasy theme, not futuristic or science fiction. Considering Star Trek's original pitch, it makes a bad science fiction. So what that Klingons are "aliens"? They are still portrayed as humanoids from an advanced warp-capable faction.

Here is what a few more people had to say about the spiked armor elsewhere:

2omega

Regardless of the context, those uniforms don’t make any sense for a spacefaring species. With those spikes, they’d pose more danger to each other than to an enemy.

Yes, I appreciate how similar the design is to those ship concept drawings leaked last year. But I’d suggest toning the “edge” down a bit.

Paul

I actually like the new make-up. Those armors, though…what the flying fudge is that? Leftovers from The Chronicles of Riddick? Hellraiser rejects? Designs deemed too mad for Mad Max? Come on. Yes, I realize they are aliens and they should be alien, but that doesn’t mean they should throw any design sensibilities out of the airlock.

Jeff

If these are Klingons, I’m not really fond of the costumes either. They don’t have a look of refined manufacturing skills which one might expect from a species capable of building star ships.​

Bingo! The quoted part from TV Tropes: Spikes of Villainy was spot on. :)
One, practicality is not the only consideration in developing costumes for film or TV production. See "Rule of Cool" trope.

Two, contemporary advances in human armor design have little to no bearing on concepts for a science fiction show involving an alien species.

Finally, there are a lot of elements of armor, clothing and cultural facets that have significance to humans that are not practical. Some of it has to do with status, some has to do with aesthetics and some falls under the "because I can" rule. One merely needs to study human armor development to realize this fact.

tl:dr
Nope.

Why do people refer to Tvtropes like it has some sort of greater knowledge or authority? It's a fansite, run by people who know no more about the topic than us. As evidenced by the fact I used to contribute and edit there.

Unless...you should all be respecting my authoritah?

A2028E07-7A38-4746-B9F4-6ACE040E6AD5_zps6xurohpq.png

Maybe the Hur'q put the Klingons of the time on different planets. Then later they reunited, but the differences were there for good.
* I'm sure somebody already speculated this * Maybe these Klingon images we've seen are actually the Hur'q... and it's a show about a Federation / Klingon race to make first contact with them? Which might go on to explain the stuff about "uniting the houses" we got when Klingon actors were announced. That phrase alone sounded to me like the previous Berman-era Klingons hadn't entirely been reimagined away in favour of these spikey, hairless, almost reptilian creatures. Designs for sets aboard cathedral-like sarcophagus shaped starships, points to something more ancient about the Klingons than we've typically explored anyhow.

If I had to point at the one thing I think Discovery is trying to do, it's probably give us a single event that explains why the Klingons have been angry with the Federation during Kirk's time (and a bit beyond). Aside from anything about a plague in Enterprise Season 4 that tried to explain the TOS make-up job, which merely left them mildly pissed off naturally.

When it's said Discovery is taking a cue from Star Trek VI and running with it, I think that might have something to do with a regret Leonard Nimoy had when meeting Gene Roddenberry to get his blessing on the story. They couldn't find a way to answer this question he had and put it in the film. They had some heated discussion around the dinner table between Gorkon's staff and the Enterprise crew, but nothing that cut to the heart of them being enemies for so long.

Last edited:
It's a balancing act. I don't want them to conform either, but, on the other hand, if you change it so much then why call it "Star Trek" at all?

Indeed (and I'm not a fan of OTT CGI either!) But I think in this context, the setting and story is the Trek; the cosmetics don't change that if there's an upgrade.

Klingons are an odd one as they've changed in both looks and culture moulds more than once - but as long as they're the bumpy headed warriors opposing our arrowhead wearing heroes, the rest is window dressing.

I'm not even that fond of the new look, hah, but as long as the base elements are there and we're not overloaded with Warcraft-like CGI Orcs, I'm happy enough!

* I'm sure somebody already speculated this * Maybe these Klingon images we've seen are actually the Hur'q... and it's a show about a Federation / Klingon race to make first contact with them? Which might go on to explain the stuff about "uniting the houses" we got when Klingon actors were announced. That phrase alone sounded to me like the previous Berman-era Klingons hadn't entirely been reimagined away in favour of these spikey, hairless, almost reptilian creatures. Designs for sets aboard cathedral-like sarcophagus shaped starships, points to something more ancient about the Klingons than we've typically explored anyhow.

If I had to point at the one thing I think Discovery is trying to do, it's probably give us a single event that explains why the Klingons have been angry with the Federation during Kirk's time (and a bit beyond). Aside from anything about a plague in Enterprise Season 4 that tried to explain the TOS make-up job, which merely left them mildly pissed off naturally.

When it's said Discovery is taking a cue from Star Trek VI and running with it, I think that might have something to do with a regret Leonard Nimoy had when meeting Gene Roddenberry to get his blessing on the story. They couldn't find a way to answer this question he had and put it in the film. They had some heated discussion around the dinner table between Gorkon's staff and the Enterprise crew, but nothing that cut to the heart of them being enemies for so long.

From memory-alpha "They were insectoid scavengers, whose physiology resembled that of army ants and the armor of the samurai", though they also state the Hur'q were in Klingon space in the "14th century".

Hur'q?

rcmsu1.jpg

Some people on the internet have commented that the aliens in the leaked photo resemble insectoids.

Memory Alpha: Hur'q

"Hur'q" was a Klingon word meaning "outsider," and was the name given by the Klingons to a species from the Gamma Quadrant which invaded and plundered Qo'noS in the 14th century. Among the most valuable artifacts stolen by the Hur'q was the Sword of Kahless, that was only recovered a thousand years later, in 2372. (DS9: "The Sword of Kahless")

. . .

The Hur'q were also featured in the video game Star Trek: Invasion [. . .] They were insectoid scavengers, whose physiology resembled that of army ants. . . .​

Even so, the same points about the ridiculous spiked armor in a pitched "science fiction" still apply.

This helmet might be the only real hint of the Discovery's Klingons at this point:

312z3lt.jpg

(source)

Even so, the same points about the ridiculous spiked armor in a pitched "science fiction"...

Hold on a second. We've seen the pitch or bible for Star Trek Discovery?

Well, by golly. However did I miss that?

Some people on the internet have commented that the aliens in the leaked photo resemble insectoids.

Unclench your buttocks everyone! You'll be relieved to know that a bunch of other internet nerds have found a way to make the photos acceptable for your average 'True Fan.'

Also in breaking news: Internet nerds discuss new Star Trek.

Also in breaking news: Internet nerds discuss new Star Trek.

The only other thing as predictable as fans bitching about Trek is another group that seems to enjoy scolding said fans for bitching. The only way to be truly above the fray is to step aside and...

89c.gif

Last edited:
Well, how do you know you're better than everyone else unless you have somebody to look down on?

Even so, the same points about the ridiculous spiked armor in a pitched "science fiction" still apply.
And the counterarguments to them will still apply, namely:
1. This is a TV show which means practicality is not applied in any or all designs
2. Armor serves multiple functions, including ceremonial.
3. Contemporary interpretations of armor are not applicable in an alien species.
Finally, I would really prefer if Starfleet officers did not run around in Halo or Mass Effect rip offs. There are already enough of those.

Well, how do you know you're better than everyone else unless you have somebody to look down on?

Easily. You just say 'Kirk is better than Picard' five times in front of a mirror, and a sense of superiority will instantly flood the soul.

Or a bee-covered Shatner will appear, and try to murder you with a hook. It's a toss.:shrug:

Last edited:
Easily. You just say 'Kirk is better than Picard' five times in front of a mirror, and a sense of superiority will instantly flood the soul.

Or a bee-covered Shatner will appear, and try to murder you with a hook. It's a toss.:shrug:
He uses a knife
Tn6z4fx.gif

Nerys, don't be the idiot who keeps taping whilst the Monster is right in front of him. Run!

Back