FCSS Trilobite, a Federation Colonial Service utility ship

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by SCE2Aux, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Soran77

Soran77 Commander Red Shirt

I wish I could texture like you man, but finding a free program to make textures and doing UV's is difficult

2. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Commander Red Shirt

I've never used free image editing software, but looking at pictures of the user interface of GIMP, I believe it might be possible to make these sorts of textures using that free program: It has a line tool, a paint bucket, layer effects and selection tools.

Usually I create the lines first (the bump map) and the fill in the rest with the paint bucket and layer effects (diffuse and reflection maps.)

As for UV'ing, the best advice I can give is to plan ahead. So when modelling, work out where the polygons need to go in order to create easy locations for UV seams.

If you have any questions, please let me know. There's a lot of talented cg artists on here, and I'm learning too. :)

Psion likes this.
  3. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Reliant.. nice to see that old bucket of awesome again. Trilobite looks great too but I'm a sucker for old ships.. :biggrin:

Cyfa and SCE2Aux like this.
  4. SCE2Aux

I agree 100%. Even Trilobite is a bit of a rugged machine, although obviously one and a half centuries further down the star Trek timeline compared to Reliant. Fancy gleeming Apple iStore starships don't have any charm do they?:D

Cyfa likes this.
  5. Santaman

I like old stuff, I've visited HMS Belfast once, thick metal, armor, quality stuff, it was built to last, everything has its charm and its place but for me Reliant reminds me of old ships, when stuff was overdesigned just to be frigging sure it was going to handle everything and then some. :mallory:

SCE2Aux likes this.
  6. SCE2Aux

The last image I posted has been bugging me for a while, so I decided to recomposite it with more blues and a bump in the saturation and bloom from the sun. IMO, I think this has made the image work much better. Just goes to show that sometimes you need to take step back for a while before figuring out the right solution.
    [​IMG]

7. Santaman

Looking good. :mallory: