Expressing criticism directly...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Warped9, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

And to about a dozen other sources of inspiration.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

JMS may have had multiple influences for his work on B5, but LOTR is very clearly and very obviously the main influence.

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

I can imagine that JJ has heard constructive criticism from his colleagues in "the industry". What that criticism entailed is unknown, and there are no guarantees that his colleagues agree with some poster's complaints about the Star Trek movies. Indeed for all we know Lucas, Spielberg, and Michael Bay had a big lunch with JJ and talked him into using lens flares. :)

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

At a book signing of Nicholas Meyer's memoir, during a Q&A, I asked him if he was annoyed at severe the plot changes made from his The Seven Per-Cent Solution novel to the movie adaptation (on which he also had sole screenwriting credit). To my mind, the movie plot was so obviously inferior that it could only have resulted from producers making him dumb his own book down.

To my surprise, however, he said he'd made the changes voluntarily, due to his being dissatisfied with the book. And here I thought I was charging to his rescue! :p

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to mention that Batman is considered being a jerk becuase he still has problems with the crap Hal did.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

When was that?

My mind draws back to Green Lantern 100 - 106 "Emerald Knights" where young Hal travels forward in time to play with Poochie. Batman took Kyle to one side and told him to watch Jordan carefully because he is a ####ing liability.

That was (literally?) 4 universes ago.

7. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Wait, he did what now? A superhero was doing that to a child? And DC let it go to print?

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

A 13 year old (probably younger when she first showed up.) Green Lantern named Arisa immediately and quickly fell in love with Hal Jordan and she spent years (our time) throwing herself at Hal Jordan who was thirtysomething and pushing 40 if you believe those white temples he had in the 90s.

Eventually Arisa used her ring to force her body to "grow up".

Immediately upon seeing this little girl now in the body of a 22 year old, but still with the mind of a 13 year old, although the writer will probably argue that the ring had given her the maturity of a 22 year old, which is another kettle of fish entirely, Hal locks lips with her and they moved in together to play house.

Am I being judgy?

9. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

A lot of details here: http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...e-relationship-between-hal-jordan-and-arisia/

10. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    It looks like they drew inspiration from Robert Heinlein novels.....if one gets my meaning.

11. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

LOL

Mh.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The answer is: who cares? Most producers make the shows they want and for themselves generally. They have only their creative standards to follow, its only on shows like Trek with fans that get overly invested and possessive where they perceive to have some ownership in the show that feel the need to be listened to. If there was a producer who listened to half the crap fans say I'd lose respect for them creatively.

RAMA

13. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course he has. What a ridiculous proposition, that he has been somehow insulated from the inevitable and unending criticism that the director or writer of a reboot would face.

Or, hell, any director of any film. Or writer. Or boom-mike operator.

Criticism and nay-saying is part of everyone's life. There is literally zero chance that JJ Abrams has escaped such sentiments over his long and successful career.

They make the stuff, we consume the stuff. Don't like it? Don't consume it or make your own stuff for others.

This isn't rocket surgery.

I've never understood the fan entitlement about such things, myself. It never occurred to me to chase down Moffat on Twitter and yell at him for casting Peter Capaldi or allowing such an atonal mess for a theme song. I'll bitch and moan here, but why take it to the source? He doesn't owe me anything, not even the time for me to phrase my complaints in a 'civil' manner.

14. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's really not just shows like Trek - it's a lot of shows across all different genres. And usually when the fans don't get pissed off at changes they disagree with it's a sign that their interest in the show isn't really that strong. That's the difference between shows that can become real classics and shows that are really just pure entertainment and nothing more (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with being pure entertainment).

15. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

How much chatter a franchise generates is a good barometer for how big your audience is (the mindshare). If their complains escalate beyond a certain point, they'll cease to follow the show anymore and the chatter goes away completely. Then you know you've got nothing to work with anymore.

16. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, it's really not. The internet has created an echo chamber where a few thousand fans look pretty much the same as a few million.

17. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, I guarantee the vast majority of people who saw the new Star Trek films have never (and will never) set foot in an online forum. People with enough interest to post online about a show/film are a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the overall audience.

18. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...as a baseball general manager once said, "if you start listening to the guys in the stands, pretty soon you'll be sitting with them."

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

NCIS tops out just over 20 million viewers an episode (and that's just first run episodes). I've done a little searching for fan communities online; they seem pretty small to me. Yet, there it is, the #1 show in the Nielsen ratings.

My point being, if online chatter was a better barometer for how large your audience is than the Nielsen ratings, we'd be talking about the ninth season of Jericho right now.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good one.