Episode Eight Pre-Release Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by JD, Jan 6, 2017.

1. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are spoilers, and there are teasers. The scene with Rey and Snoke is the latter, because it's shown without any context of what's happening (other than Rey seems to be tortured). Without knowing what else is going on, it's no more a spoiler than seeing the AT-ATs attacking the X-wings.

I suppose it boils down to if you think seeing any scene from the new movie is a spoiler, be sure to avert your eyes until December!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    The Nth Doctor likes this.
  2. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since when was there this suddenly realisation that trailers contain spoilers? Haven't they always!? Isn't knowing anything about a film's story basically a 'spoiler' in some way?

Heck, back in the 1980s, many trailers used to narrate half the film to you!

Mage likes this.
  3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, I'm confused.... Only about two pages of discussing this new trailer??

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

If by "spoiler" you mean "inevitable" then yeah, sure! ;)

Seriously though, context is everything. For all we know that shot is from a force vision or something that happens exactly 10 mins in. This trailer seems fairly tightly focused on the Rey/Luke story and how it relates to Kylo. We still have no real substantive idea what's going on with Leia, Poe & Finn beyond the obvious. To me, the meat of the film is still mostly a mystery.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really isn't that interesting, I guess.

6. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I think we've gotten to the point were we don't want to speculate anymore, we just want the movie.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Pretty much.

I mean sure, one *could* scrutinise every frame of footage for clues as to when certain things happen in the movie and extrapolate the plot structure a some of the major story beats...but why would anyone want to intentionally spoil the movie for themselves?

Personally, if I had the willpower I'd love to just go into one of these movies cold without any hint or foreknowledge. I might actually try it for Episode IX, but I'm pretty sure I'll cave as soon as the first teaser drops.

8. fireproof78

I haven't watched the most recent trailer and am just waiting and seeing with this film.

My feelings on it right now are mixed, because I want it to be good, but I'm worried it won't be and that it will be time to move on from this franchise.

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Among other things, Ryan Johnson directed 'Looper' and easily one of the most well regarded episodes of 'Breaking Bad'. Unlike 'Han Solo' & 'Episode IX' there has been zero grumblings of any sort of trouble with the production of TLJ. Everything seems to indicate Lucasfilm & Disney are *very* happy with what he's done. He even finished the final cut ahead of schedule.

In short: Don't worry, it'll be fine.

Just don't go in with an expectation that unless it physically warps time and space to create pocket reality of pure bliss in which to bask for 2 hours, it's somehow a disappointment or anything. I mean it's still only a movie, no? The fate of the planet is not at stake here. ;)

10. fireproof78

It isn't?

It's more a matter of how Luke and Rey change, and the nature of the Force. That, to me, is something has drawn me along in to the anticipation of the world building and how the Jedi are going to be treated. For me, it would be nice to see them, or a new design, return as very heroic figures.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You guys do bring up a good point. I guess it was mainly just that I was surprised to see it in the movie itself, I wasn't expecting to see any of the heroes have a face to face with Snoke until EPIX.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I'm amazed I hadn't seen that until now.

14. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

That doesn't mean anything. If pre-release grumblings is supposed to be an indication that a movie is going to be bad, then "A New Hope" and "The Empire Strikes Back" should have been flops, along with a good number of other successful or acclaimed films that had endured production problems before being released.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

These are not a mutually exclusive propositions. I made no claim that zero trouble on set guarantees and Oscar worthy movie, just that it's a good indication of the studio's satisfaction with the product thus far. Since they're the ones potentially out several hundred million if it flops, their reactions are one's worth paying attention to. It's just a factor to take into consideration, not proof positive one way or the other.

If one is going to claim to have legitimate doubts as to the quality of a movie, then said doubts really ought to have something tangible to back them up, no? No news is good news and all that.

16. Tuskin38

17. Tuskin38

I think this is the same video I linked above, but now youtube

18. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

So, in a recent interview with GQ, Adam Driver was referencing Rey and:

... called her a princes... So now speculation is going nuts again on who her parents might be... Some long lost King/Queen who were on the run and deposited her on Jakku for safekeeping? Is she related to Leia in some way? Part of the Amidala family on Naboo? Could she be another child of Senator and Mrs. Organa (thus making her a princess of Alderaan? (would the timing even work with that? If so, was she off-world when Alderaan was destroyed and the secreted away to Jakku to protect her from the Empire?)

19. Tuskin38

I think he is referring to Leia, not Rey

Also Japan's TLJ poster

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, he specifically refers to the princess hiding who she is, and I don't think Leia has ever hidden the fact that she's a princess. As far as we know Rey isn't either, but fits Rey more than it would Leia.

Hound of UIster likes this.