Spoilers Episode 7 "Nepenthe"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by NCC-73515, Feb 28, 2020.

?

Rate 1x07 Nepenthe

1. 10 - Wild Beard Riker

108 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. 9

94 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. 8

53 vote(s)
    18.0%
  4. 7

21 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. 6

7 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. 5 - Full Beard Riker

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. 4

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  10. 1 - Season 1 Riker

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Cartoon Premium Member

Why? Because it's not called a Nepenthean Hare?

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    By the way, that was my favorite Victorian love story.

3. USS Fardell

USS Fardell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nepenthe
    The seventh episode. Picard and Soji arrive on Nepenthe and meet Riker, Troi and their daughter, Kestra. La Sirena escapes from the Artefact, where Hugh and Elnor find themselves in over their heads. On La Sirena Jurati struggles with what she knows... Flashback, three weeks earlier. Commodore Oh mind melded with Jurati, showing her something similar to Spocks vision of CONTROL's apocalypse. (Of course, whatever the Zhat Vash are afraid of would be something different.)
    However, the whole scene was very well presented, leading into the chase of La Sirena later in the episode. The struggles of the La Sirena crew in escaping from the Artefact were done very well. But the main focus of the episode was on Nepenthe. Picard and Soji arrive on the planet and are greeted by Kestra. (A rather good easter egg there, and a there is a thematic link when it's revealed that Kestra wasn't always an only child.) Picard's line about his heart being pure duratanium was a good call back to the fact he has an artificial heart.
    Meeting Will and Deanna again was very nostalgic. The way their characters were developed for the episode was consistent with their characters in the series and movies. The following scenes were also well done. Of course, Soji would be questioning her existence, and be uncertain as to the reality of the situation. That it would be Kestra who would help her through it was obvious. Kestra having an older brother who died to a disease that couldn't be treated after the Synth ban was an interesting way to connect the situation to the overall themes of the series.
    (And Thad wanting a homeworld of his own and coming up with constructed languages was also well conceived.) The interactions between Hugh and Elnor as they try to evade the Narissa and the other Romulans were very well done. But Hugh getting it, as it were, is definitely a missed oportunity. More could have been done with his character. But there is a very effective lead in to the next episode with the Fenris Ranger beacon. Back to La Sirena, they discover that Narek is following them...
    Rios suspecting Raffi before Agnes doesn't seem that believable, but then she didn't say why she was down there. The way Agnes deals with the issue shows her desperation in the situation she has found herself in and it was very well depicted, showing that she didn't have much choice. 9/10.

SolarisOne likes this.
  4. Matthewwiz

Matthewwiz Cadet Newbie

Kzin are in canon... Animated series "The Slaver Weapon"

Danja likes this.
  5. Arpy

Arpy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Kzin are canon, but I don’t know how canon. There are incompatibilities with TAS and other Trek. Not to mention copy write issues. Chabon got Niven to agree to a small mention free of charge, but after that? The Kzinti were to return on ENT too, but I imagine somewhat differently.

DEWLine and Sci like this.
  6. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

Cristobal "Chris" Rios.

I believe the implication is that literally nobody outside the Federation (who is actually accessible to Federation citizens) has developed positronic technology. Soong was an outlier genius whose work the Daystrom Institute had not been able to replicate, and nobody outside the Federation was even at the Daystrom level yet. (Except, of course, for Alton Soong and Bruce Maddux in isolation on Coppelius.)

I got the impression it was supposed to be a remote colony world. But even if it weren't, it's a sensible thing for a high-ranking Starfleet reserve officer who lives in an isolated, rural area to keep a private security system active in the event he's targeted for an attack before the regional or planetary security forces are alerted or can arrive.

If by "why send our lover body," you mean, why would Narissa send Narek -- Narissa doesn't know where Picard and Soji went. Her goal is to trace Soji's movements in order to discover the location of the Synth colony (later revealed to be Coppelius), so it's more rational to have Narek track La Sirena than to send a Tal Shiar taskforce to Nepenthe (particularly if they don't have a base of operations nearby).

I have no idea why you would imagine Narissa could order Federation police to do anything to Soji or Picard.

Few things are as frustrating as the absolute refusal of some members of the Star Trek fandom to accept that sometimes, people can be whimsical and it's not a bad thing to depict that.

Yeah, I don't think it's likely we're ever actually gonna see the Kzin in canon, or even in the tie-in novels or comics, precisely because it's unlikely CBS will want to cut a check to Niven. And if they ever do show up, it's not implausible that they might be depicted as different from the Kzin of Niven's canon.

Turtletrekker, Masiral and antinoos like this.
  7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

This coming from someone who uses the name "Cutie McWhiskers"...
    :wtf::rolleyes:

ThreeEdgedSword and Sci like this.
  8. cooleddie74

TOS once had a small dog dressed in fake fur, a unicorn horn and two alien antennae and that episode is a classic. It's brilliant. Trek has always had animals that either look funny or have whimsical, silly names or both.

Sci, SJGardner, Kzinti and 1 other person like this.
  9. SJGardner

SJGardner Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. cooleddie74

Denebian slime devil.

I mean...come on. That's not exactly a majestic dinosaur name.

Random_Spock, Sci, SJGardner and 2 others like this.
  11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Random_Spock, saladdays, Sci and 3 others like this.
  12. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry for this late post... I hard a hard time finding it (can't memorize the name, and it wasn't listed in the title at 1x07 and didn't think of JUST using 7), and just saw the whole season.

I liked it … I especially liked how Troi was portrayed... using actual counselor skills... but also sounding like somone NOT under on'e authority anymore (like a student who has matured and can speak to a teacher as an equal rather than Ms. or Mr.). I especially liked and relate to the "I don't feel as brave anymore" (or to that effect)… I certainly feel that way about myself... where I feel like I did a lot more when I was single without kids than I do now. ANd I suspect MANY people feel that type of way.

I think this was a more natural and "logical" way of fitting it "old" characters in a way that made sense.

Random_Spock likes this.
  13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Bunnicorn could just be Kestra's name for them. Or it could've been Thad's word.

Sci and Nerys Myk like this.
  14. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what we saw of what Thad was forced to leave behind, I get the sense that he could have been his generation's Tolkien.

Turtletrekker and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  15. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

I found this puzzling and kind of gross.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Cartoon Premium Member

Hollywood credits are a strange process with arcane rules..

137th Gebirg likes this.